main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Ralph McQuarrie Influence on Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by manybothans, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Visually I thought the most appealing movie of the PT - just from an art perspective mind - was The Phantom Menace. This doesn't mean I thought it was the best movie, just the prettiest looking. Overall RoTS is a lot better film.

Bennihana and Rookhelm like this.
  2. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    I'd have to agree.

3. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    I'd prefer "invent things" to "reinvent things". Yes, it needs to be similar but I am saying that I loved how each trilogy worked by itself. I do not like how it seems as though this one will rely on the OT so much. Why is that so hard to understand? Lol

4. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Too late.

5. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Why is it so hard to understand that E7 is not E8 or E9?

And what is this fantasy that the PT worked completely by itself? It was a prequel to the OT. It intentionally was about themes and plots brought up by the OT. The PT recycled tons of imagery and ideas from the OT.

The PT wouldn't exist without the OT, and yet, it "worked by itself."

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  6. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    Too late for Episode 8 & 9?

7. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Probably. There is already a tone being set.

8. robbman21

robbman21 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 16, 2005
    This isn't exactly Ep VII specific, but just a thought I've had since 2005 about McQuarrie's concept art. I've ALWAYS thought...even years before ROTS existed as far back as when they first announced the PT...that when we first saw Vader in Ep III he should look like the famous McQuarrie concept (the helmet/mask specifically) from one of the teaser/concept posters and the art showing the lightsabre duel with Luke. I mean if everything else evolved over 20 years (troopers, star destroyers, etc) then why doesn't Vader's armor?? I think he should've been shown waking on the table in the concept armor, and then later when he strides across the star destroyer to look at DS1 under construction maybe THEN see the classic Vader, since it's obvious when watching the film that some time has passed. At the very least the should have put his robes OVER the shoulder plate aka ANH but that's another discussion for another day. To stay on subject I've thought using McQuarrie's unused stuff was a great idea from the moment I heard it because it was so lacking in the PT when there were so many scenes and shots that could have benefitted from his touch.

9. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    I love that they are using a lot of McQuarrie works (That entrance of Tatooine, the new X-Wing design) Can't wait to see more of it.

Dra--- likes this.
  10. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007

That would have been great. And since Vader got shinier with each movie in the OT (reflecting his turn back to the "light side"), I always thought Vader should have been a matte black in ROTS.

But also to stay on topic, I would love if a character in the ST wears that breathing apparatus Luke's wearing in the McQuarrie piece you're talking about.

robbman21 likes this.
  11. mratm23

May 13, 2014
    Lmfao, You're not understanding me when I say that the PT worked by itself. Let's say there was no OT at at all and Lucas decided just to make the PT. It would completely make sense by itself. I'm saying that I think Episode VII will be one of those sequels where you'll have to have seen the ones before it to know exactly everything. This is not a hard concept. You should be able to wrap your head around it soon.

robbman21 likes this.
  12. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I understand what you're saying. It doesn't make a lick of sense. What is it that you know about the ST story that makes you think it's not going to work by itself? Please state a couple of facts that you know about the story.

Oh wait, you don't know any facts. What exactly are you wrapping your head around then? Apparently nothing.

Satipo likes this.
  13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Do I need to separate you kids?

14. mratm23

May 13, 2014
    Just the fact that Abrams is involved and his films aren't exactly "amazing" or even that great of films. They're good, and I like them, but I still don't know if he's the right guy. Also, they're bringing the big 3 back. I would assume they have major roles, meaning you will probably need to see 4-6 to know the exactly everything.

15. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

I'm very much hoping that the majority is new with some elements from the previous six films.

Influences of McQuarrie, Johnston, and the Prequel designs but not over the whole movie.

16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    +1 to the bolded.

17. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    Well, the new Trooper helmets seem to be more streamlined/sleek versions of the OT ones, and the new X-Wings look pretty slick, so I think it's safe to say we're getting a more modern spin on that OT aesthetic.

vinsanity likes this.
  18. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014

When you saw the OT, did you need to have seen the PT to know who Obi-Wan, Darth Vader, Threepio, Artoo, Luke, Leia, Yoda and even Chewie were? Or did the film give you the backstory you needed to get you through the story you were watching? I imagine the same tack will apply to the ST. I'm sure those who have seen all the films will most likely get more out of it, but I'm sure they will be conscious of making the film work even if you haven't seen the previous entries.

TK327 and Dra--- like this.
  19. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I wouldn't take that poster too seriously. They're arguing that because JJ's films are good, that somehow it follows that the ST isn't going to make sense by itself (and this poster wraps their head around this reasoning like a bandage).

If you follow that logic, then I applaud you. =D=

20. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I myself hope they use all the McQuarrie influence they can find. The arguments through out this thread are really pointless. I mean first, we don't know much about Episode VII to judge it on using too much Mcquarrie artwork, and even if so...who would mind that?? I mean I know we all want a fresh new Star Wars, well we will be getting one. If anything they will take the original sketches and give them a sleeker look.
    I would think these boards would blow up with excitement if they kept all the Mcquarrie designs the exact same and used a ton of it for the film...who would not be excited? If they're awesome, why change it.

I love the new X Wing and the Falcon looked fabulous as usual and so glad they didn't change much. Those who do want the new ships and vehicles will get them I guarantee it. But leave these select few for us old timers who can feel like a youngster when seeing our favorite Star Wars Ralph McQuarrie ships in action.

TK327 and Dra--- like this.
  21. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    I think they have over done it with Rebels. Nothing is wrong with new ideas

22. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    Heh, thought I was the only one who noticed.

robbman21 likes this.
  23. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Like I've said all props to RM but he did what he did because of his ability to take what George envisioned and then search around until between them they came up with what worked for George.

I know that first in virtually always gets put on a pedestal. That is the nature of it.

Let's not overlook the amazing work of Doug Chiang and Iain McCaig and so many others.

http://filmsketchr.blogspot.ca/2014/03/star-wars-artists-doug-chiang-and-iain.html

24. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    It's like some fans don't like anything OT related. I love that they're using a lot of his designs, he's a great artist and there's a lot of material unused. Doesn't mean they aren't coming up with new stuff.. ( cross-guard anyone, and look how that turned out...a lot of people hated it)

25. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Nothing wrong with what was done on the PT, visually some great stuff.

If JJ is looking for a film that harks back to the OT, maybe the Galaxy hasnt changed much from that era due to the war or whatever, then to my mind it stands to reason they utilise some of the OTs inspiration from previous sketches.

However I hope they also come up with new inspiration and I'm sure they will. But equally some of the PT inspiration has to be seen too, as not everything would have been as down beaten as some of it appeared in the OT surely?

Does anyone know who else is doing sketches and design for the film?

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.