main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Ralph McQuarrie Influence on Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by manybothans, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    The OT had "forms" or "silhouettes" that were basic, sleek and clean (triangles, circles, spheres, rectangles, octagons). But those forms were filled with lots of industrial and analog stuff, which gave them that real-world feel.

In contrast, the "forms" or "silhouettes" in AOTC and ROTS were a lot less basic. Their shapes were often a mishmash of shapes, clashing together. Busy designs. But those complicated forms often had the industrial and analog details "covered up," which makes them look "shinier" and "sleeker" for a lot of viewers.

Ultimately, I think the OT was more successful because the designs really hit a home run in terms of compelling (and simple) silhouettes, while giving us fun industrial details within those forms. Strong silhouettes are a key component of good conceptual design, and I fear it was often violated in the PT (at least, by Ryan Church and his acolytes). Chiang, though, has a great eye, and I'm glad to see he's playing a huge role in TFA.

2. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I'd love for more McQuarrie influence in TFA than was seen in the prequels. And I'd especially like to see the Imperial ships and equipment to look far more weathered and "lived in" than the Empire did in the OT. The Empire really got knocked in the teeth in ROTJ, and by all accounts has been in a state of war or cold war with the Alliance ever since, so I don't see why their equipment should not be almost as run-down looking as the Alliance's is at this point….

3. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

The look of some of these concepts even suggests to me that Chiang was, to an extent, trying to imitate Macquarrie's style. I'd definitely say that about the image with the destroyers and the image of the pod racing arena.

4. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Yup. Chiang is indeed McQuarrie's heir. Can't wait to see his full output for the ST.

whostheBossk and thejeditraitor like this.
  5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I think it's great that they're using a good deal of McQuarrie's concepts and Chiang will be helping to execute those. I hadn't realized just how much of McQuarrie's concepts they were implementing. It's lovely.

6. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    All credit goes to Lucas for the basic design of many of the things we see on screen.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  7. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    i never realized it until recently, but chiang is awesome and makes me want to see more of his universe the same way mcquarrie did when i was a kid.
    i loved mcquarries stuff so much as a kid i framed 2 of his pictures from his production design albums. if youre hardcore fan youll know its the probe droid on hoth and cantina pictures from the production designs.

on the other hand, i also realize now that it wasnt chiang that produced a lot of the aotc designs, am i right on this? and many of the designs for aotc and rotj i found way too busy where i liked a lot of the tpm designs.

8. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    starocean90 likes this.
  10. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    Today is the Legend's birthday.@};-

11. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    Messi and nightangel like this.
  12. Messi

Messi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2015

How much it will cost? 500 bucks?!?!! hahahah

starocean90 likes this.
  13. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  14. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I look forward to seeing some McQuarrie concepts make it to Episode VII. Chiang is the one who we are relying on so i hope his team of artist is up for the challenge. From the looks of it, recycled material will play a part and i think that is smart of Disney/Lucasfilm.

From all the concept that is believed to find a way on screen, what are you rooting to see. For me the Mon Calamari frigate or a modified cruiser would be fantastic to see.

15. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Who are is doing the concept art for TFA?
    And known names?

16. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    I'm not sure, can someone confirm who is? Going to see it tonight!

17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    doug chiang and others.

18. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    I thought based on all the sketches, the movie truly included that McQuarrie feel. No wonder it has done so well and so loved by the true fans. Maybe not everyone but glad to see McQuarrie represented here and im sure...beyond!

19. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    Beyond meaning....all future films and spinoffs. Any art from him you would like to see? Mine would be his design of the Snowtroopers.

20. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    You're right. Ryan Church was responsible for much of the design landscape of AOTC and ROTS (Chiang was lightly involved in the former, and not at all in the latter). That's why AOTC and ROTS look so much worse than TPM, IMO.

21. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Sure, they used several Mc Quarrie designs, like the Jakku portal-thing that MF crashes into, and of course, the X-Wings.
    That's why we can assume that some cool designs present in the Art of TFA book will make it to EP VIII and IX. There is too much good things there that cost time and money, they will not just discard it.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  22. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    I hope so. Love his work and look forward to seeing some unused sketch turn into a new TLJ toy.

23. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    McQuarrie and Chiang is the perfect mix.

Lulu Mars and nightangel like this.
  24. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    Any idea on the roots for the Cantobight police speeder? Hasbro production designer Mark Beadreux wasn't sure where the inspiration was from after I asked if it was from McQuarrie.

25. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Ralph McQuarrie is legend!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.