main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Ralph McQuarrie - Thank you for everything!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eternity85, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/06/movies/ralph-mcquarrie-artist-behind-star-wars-dies-at-82.html?_r=1

Ralph McQuarrie dies at age 82 --> Rest in peace @};-

2. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    I was wondering when somebody would start a thread about this.

What a cool artist...I mean not just for conceptualizing what Darth Vader would look like (as well as so many other iconic images so familiar to us all) but for his incredible body of work outside the Star Wars universe as well. I still have a hardbound copy of National Geographic's "Our Universe" which has a few of his paintings in it. As a kid I admired his work just as much there as I did in the "Return of the Jedi" fanzine you could buy at the theatre in 1983. I still have that too but it's tattered beyond recognition.

3. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
  4. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I still have my copy of The Illustrated Star Wars Universe, and going keep cherishing it.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [image=http://www.spectres.com.au/seanimation/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/4475696241_79850833ac_o1.jpg]

6. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Here's a couple of Star Trek concepts that Ralph McQuarrie made for Star Trek:

[image=http://holosuitemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/0004-Star-Trek-04.jpg]

[image=http://cache.io9.com/assets/images/8/2012/01/3e100a57afe6fb578097dc2f7fe41069.jpg]

(That hangar bay on the Enterprise looks big enough to hold a Klingon Bird-Of-Prey!)

7. -G-O-A-T-

-G-O-A-T- Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    RIP Ralph. Thanks for your tremendous imagination.

Loved his visual conveyence of spatial concepts and feeling of desolation.

8. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I'm not glad that he'd dead, but I'm glad he's out of pain. I'm pretty sure he was suffering heavily through Parkinson disease. He sure as hell looked like he was the last time I saw him in an interview. He had a great talent, and probably would have never come here if he hadn't done the art, and realize what Lucas was going for by contributing to his vision.

So, R.I.P. Ralph @};-

I haven't read the article yet, I'd just heard he'd passed, so I'm glad somebody made a thread.

9. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Well two days ago, threads were made in the Star Wars Community and Literature sections but not enough people from the JCC venture into those places. The influence and impact McQuarrie had on our favorite galaxy far, far away cannot be overstated though. He's the unsung hero of the saga.

May he rest in peace. @};-

10. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    Well said.

11. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Every living thing dies. Not sure why this should be news at all.

12. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    We should sticky this thread for a while out of respect. I feel like he's too important to the theme of this place and why we're here.

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The Force will be with him, always. @};-