main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate [RAMZA] Why handsome men are jerks -- maths!

Discussion in 'Community' started by dp4m, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Even if it's legal with that mod, it's still a crappy, unreliable way to reduce State Intrigue.

2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

lol

well, maybe it isnt used to mean south asian/white combos anymore. my retraction was based off wikipedia saying the word's origin was in people of mixed indian/brit ancestry in the immediate post-colonial era, but it could be that usage has shifted since then. i know ive only ever heard it used for east or southeast asian/white combos

3. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    so, nice guys finish last... because they're ****ing ugly. it all makes sense

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  4. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    We've all known this anecdotally through our lifetimes. Hardly a shock. If you can get away with a certain behaviour, you'll keep behaving like that.

5. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Completely serious question.

Women's perceptions of male attractiveness could theoretically be studied and examined for correlation with an arbitrary standard to measure "meanness" (which would have to be defined). We could then also study to see if women accurately generalize about this correlation.

The data could show that attractiveness and meanness are positively correlated. It could show negative correlation. It could show no correlation. Maybe the correlation wouldn't be statistically significant. Maybe it will be significant but weak. The only way to know is to study it. As far as I know, it may have already been studied. Maybe we'll fail to adequately control for something.

We'd also have to identify to see how prevalent this attitude is. If the attitude is prevalent, but there is no correlation or a negative correlation, then yes, maybe this explanation would be adequate as to why the false perception.

On the whole, I would tend to suspect the truth of the hypothesis that meanness and physical attractiveness are most likely completely independent traits.

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
  8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001