main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rocky M, NC random chatting

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by hybrid_ox, Apr 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitchenvixen

kitchenvixen Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2005
    I know this is insanely crazy, but I have to live in close distance to a Wal-Mart. I was just looking at places on the web and most of the stats for Roanoke Rapids were on target for what I'm looking for.

2. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Sometimes I think if you removed the Food Lions, Eckerds, McDonalds, and CVS's from Greenville, all we'd have left is a Walmart. They can't even get enough pharmacists to work all these corner drug joints and yet they keep building new ones. It's crazy.

3. Entropy

Entropy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    It's a pretty nice place, as long as you don't mind the smell. We were founded as a mill town, and the paper mill is still in operation and can get raunchy at times.

The city school system is pretty good (for NC) and the county schools seem to be improving steadily. We've also got a community college here.

There are more Protestant churches than you can shake a stick at. There is at least one Catholic church and a Jewish synagogue in Weldon (the sister city).

Our theater is horrid, but there are rumors of a new multiplex coming soon, and there's always Rocky Mount (RM) if you want to see a movie in a nice theater.

Not much in the way of nightlife though. There are plenty of restaurants, but only a few bars and most of them aren't really worth mentioning. Of course, there are a few clubs down by the lake, and there's always Hunter Hill Pub and the 19th Hole in RM. Also, the nightlife situation might be improving soon. There are persistent rumors that a Branson-like complex of night clubs and theaters that will show case nationally known live acts coming to town.

Finally, we are located right off of I-95 about halfway between NYC and Orlando. It's about takes around 3 hours to get to the beach and about 4 hours to the mountains.

Any other questions about our sleepy little hamlet?

4. kitchenvixen

Apr 12, 2005
    :eek:3 hours from the beach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well not as bad as when we lived in Texas. We are not much into the nightlife anymore since we have kids. I suspect it will be less once we move, no babysitter. Of course we are not moving for the nightlife, we are moving to get our children out of a place where everything is so fast, that kindergarteners want cellphones. My son desperatly wants one..[face_shame_on_you]not gonna happen.

5. JediRiff

JediRiff Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2002
    Good choice, there. Let me mention, though, that you can get to Virginia Beach in about an 1 1/2 hours, from Roanoke Rapids. They have recently gotten a Starbucks, too. I still cant get over RNRP having a Starbucks, lol... And yes, the area where we have the Super Wal-Mart is supposedly going to be getting a big theater like the Premiere in Rocky Mount. And they have a gas station, with cheaper than average gas prices, and if you buy a Wal-Mart card, you can get it .03 cheaper, as well.

6. eddie-wan-kenobi

eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2003
    They are hoping the smell of the Starbucks coffee will help cover the smell in RR. ;)

7. kitchenvixen

Apr 12, 2005
    Oh No not a Starbucks! My husband would surely love that. A Supew Wal-Mart is very good. We recently got one here. I have personally worked at two of the, before. Ok about this community collge....do they offer a lot of sociology classes? I am intending on contuning where I left off a few years ago. I am sorry if I am asking way too many questions. :) ONe thing I will most definatly miss is the drive-in theatre here.

8. eddie-wan-kenobi

Jul 14, 2003
    Here is some info on Halifax Community College, as well as Nash CC, and Wilson Tech. CC, where I work.

http://www.wilsontech.edu/

http://www.nashcc.edu/

http://www.halifaxcc.edu/

9. kitchenvixen

Apr 12, 2005
    Thanks Eddie.

10. jkg_vader

jkg_vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Kinston has a Walmart...and the Kinston Indians! They are a Minor Leauge Baseball team. We are also abou 1.5 hours from the beach.

Oh, and in case any of you are super duper bored with your life, and want to read all about me, and my narssistic self (hey, at least I admit it), I just started a Live Journal at:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/jkg_vader/ :rolleyes:

I like Pie.

11. Entropy

May 30, 2002
    Happy birthday! ...and congratulations. Now, I'll have to go a friend you.

12. kitchenvixen

Apr 12, 2005
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/kitchenvixen/

i have had one for quite some time.

kinston............hmmm

the hispanic population is low NC

13. Entropy

May 30, 2002
    kitchenvixen: To the best of my knowledge, all of the community collges in the NC system are two year institutes, so if you're looking for anything transferable, other than the most common of sociology classes, you're probably out of luck. However, I know that HCC has a Human Resources program, that some students use as a spring board to get into 4 year programs. If you're looking for 4 year or grad schools, there are a couple within long, but resonable, commuting distance (within an hour to an hour and a half).

Oh, BTW, Riff is right, VA Beach is only about one and a half hours away, and I think Nags Head isn't much more than two. I'm used to going to Emerald Isle or Atlantic Beach which is about 3 hours out.

14. Entropy

May 30, 2002
    Cooled. Added.

Hispanic Population: Is that a problem? If so, you might want to look deeper into the matter. From what I've heard, the per capita population is relatively high compared to other east coast states (excluding FL), and it's growing at a steady rate.

15. kitchenvixen

Apr 12, 2005
    From what I have seen is it around 1%..........lol. I am Mexican and iyt would be nice to see someone that looks like me.

16. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    The Spanish population is definitely rising in NC as it is becoming a large problem in our school systems as many of the Spanish kids do not speak English and they're falling behind. There's always a rise in the population during the growing seasons around here, particularly tobacco season.

My mom is Puerto Rican and lives in Goldsboro. The Spanish population is huge over there, due to the Air Force Base and all the surrounding farmland. My mom is a Spanish interpreter at the hospital there when she's not translating on base. I never used to care for Goldsboro, but it seems to be improving over the last few years. The only problem there is that everytime the BRAC lists comes around, Seymour Johnson always seems to be a topic of conversation. So far they've been fortunate to avoid any closures. But if that base were to close, that town would probably sink quick.

17. kitchenvixen

Apr 12, 2005
    Anyone who speaks a foreihn language falls behind. It is sad that some school are not equipped for that. We had teh peoblem here. The kids are put in an Englis immersion class taught by a bilingual teacher. On the good dise, my son has learned some Spanish :)

18. eddie-wan-kenobi

Jul 14, 2003
    Picked up a groovy little SW based magazine and found the PERFECT picture to use for my Mustafar dual tattoo. Just the right size with the exact pose I was looking for.

Also, I am now an official member of the shaved-head club. I'v got a serios Lex Luthor look goin on! :D Well, except for the beard.

19. Kazuma_Kuahara

Kazuma_Kuahara Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2004
    w00t guess what my sister gave me when she just stopped by randomly... DARTH TATER~!~!

SW collect item count: 10+ items now (including cards) hehe

20. kitchenvixen

Apr 12, 2005
    Yeah, woo! I was given some Star Wars banners from my local Wal-Mart......sweet. We are gonna use them for Dexter and Joaquin's room. Not too long ago I scored a free SW lolipop display from k-mart. Also 7-11 is giving me some signs. Anybody else score any freebies?

21. eddie-wan-kenobi

Jul 14, 2003
    Just got a GREAT early birthday present from my mother. She found a SW Masterpiece Addition Anakin Skywalker: The Story of Darth Vader at a yard sale at the lake. Its a big box with a 12" Return of the Jedi Anakin with a book about Vader authored by Steve Sansweet included in the set. Pretty cool figure. Its ROTJ Anakin as he would be if he had never been injured. Very sweet. :) She also grabbed me a nice Maul figure looking through his binocular thingys from Ep.I.

22. kitchenvixen

Apr 12, 2005
  23. star-killer1

star-killer1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    Sweet, wanna pass them along? It would be appreciated.:D :p

24. eddie-wan-kenobi

Jul 14, 2003
    lol! I bet it would. :D

25. jkg_vader

jkg_vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Just had my B-Day party this weekend (thanks for the B-Day wishes Entropy), and I got a lot of cool loot, but 2 gifts really stood out:

http://img258.echo.cx/img258/4342/10029413yt.jpg

http://img144.echo.cx/img144/5229/10029591ip.jpg

http://img105.echo.cx/img105/4179/10029612qp.jpg

Vixen....I'm not Mexican, but I am Brasilian, so there's some Latino in Kinston (me and my Mamma).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.