main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The "What-If?" Depository - ALL conceptual/hypothetical conversation goes here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SithStarSlayer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Not even close to hand-waving a chance-cube.

Force Smuggler and Seagoat like this.
  2. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Why do midichlorians suck so much?

3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Is that rhetorical complaining, or are you asking exactly why so many people hate the idea?

4. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    I don't understand their point. They kind of contadict what Obi-Wan lays out for us in ANH.

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Not really. The midi-chlorians merely help one access the Force. The mystery of the Force itself isn't changed by the existence of midi-chlorians.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Amiga_500_User

Amiga_500_User Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 4, 2014
    Quite the opposite: the mystery is crushed by trying to explain a mystical thing via biology. It's boggles the mind and I still cannot understand why Lucas felt the need for including this. The Force is perfectly explained by Yoda in EMPIRE and we really didn't need another explanation, especially one that tries to be grounded in reality.

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I certainly don't see what they were supposed to add to the story. There's surely easier ways of saying "Anakin's really strong in the Force".

8. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Enough with the midichlorians.

That horse has been beaten to death, years ago...

9. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    What's the name of the song playing when the 501st marches on the Jedi Temple? :confused:

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Love Pledge and the Arena from AOTC

Padawan Fangirl likes this.
  11. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    Hi, everyone:

I am currently reading Shadows of the Empire, my first EU book ever, and this part got me thinking:

Judging by the events shown in Revenge of the Sith, it seems to me that the suit Vader wears had already been made when Anakin is rescued by the Emperor. If so, why would they have made it before? And if not, where does this suit even come from? Who made it? Who designed it? [face_dunno]
    Has it ever been explained where the suit comes from? Are there other suits like that?​
    I always believed, and perhaps I was wrong, that Vader's suit was one of a kind, and maybe it is, but given the fact that apparently 5 or 15 minutes after Anakin is rescued, he's already wearing the mask and the suit… was it more like: Oh, you're just gonna have to wear this suit we had lying around here?​

12. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I just assume that it's an ancient Sith space suit outfitted with a life support system.

Oberst Hans Landa likes this.
  13. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    Hm, that'd make sense.

14. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    Good question Obserst.... got me thinking, there could be some exciting stories behind the suit itself, if it possibly used to belong to Darth Sidious himself or something, with deep ties to the Sith. (But that's too convenient that him and a young Anakin are the same height!)

(Although saying that, he was just a stump so could have been made to fit any suit size really....)

Hmm... [face_thinking]

DARTHLINK and Oberst Hans Landa like this.
  15. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    OK, reading that excerpt gave me a visual image of a charred Vader with no clothes sitting in his chair. Yeah, thanks book. Thanks for the image.

In all seriousness, I, too, figured it was some kind of old Sith armor that was outfitted to serve a dual purpose of a life support system.

Darkslayer and Oberst Hans Landa like this.
  16. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Oberst Hans Landa Well for one, he was Vader since his knighting from Palpatine. Doesn't matter what he's wearing or how many limbs he has

But what isn't shown in ROTS is that the reconstruction of Vader and the birth of the twins is over a period of several days, according to EU sources. That's plenty of time to construct the life support suit, especially considering that it was intentionally poor quality. Though I don't know what the quote you posted has to do with this topic. The chambers in which Vader can remove his suit were specifically designed for him after ROTS. Aside from that, I doubt he's the only one in a galaxy of trillions with breathing problems. It was probably already standard medical technology (the chambers, that is. There could be suits similar to Vader's, but his is its only kind)

Oberst Hans Landa likes this.
  17. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    don't forget tractor-the guy from empire.

18. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Opera scene in ROTS?

What the heck am I looking at?

I see suspended globs of water and wispy creatures(?) going in and out. Bad CGI?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I wouldn't call it bad CGI. It's not that I immediately knew I was looking at something computer generated... it's just that I didn't know what I was looking at. Though the explanation is that it's the Mon Calamari species, and they're performing an acrobatic opera. Seemed kinda weird to me, but I bet if aliens saw some of our performing arts, they'd think the same.

20. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    It's a globe of water suspended in zero-gravity, with the acrobats diving through it. Pretty neat.

SithStarSlayer and Iron_lord like this.
  21. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Wow, so we actually have footage of Mon Calamari in their native habitat (water)? Too bad I can't really make it out.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I've always been curios about that same scene dolphin. It made me feel uncomfortable as well.

23. TheMohawkNinja

TheMohawkNinja Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2014
    In episode III, what is the name of the communications device that Obi-Wan gives to R2-D2 inside the Invisible Hand?

24. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    A cellphone.

25. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    As I recall, there were more than a few fans who were convinced that Palpatine made Anakin simply because the Mon Cal Opera looked liked egg-fertilization. ;)

Darth Dominikkus likes this.