main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The "What-If?" Depository - ALL conceptual/hypothetical conversation goes here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SithStarSlayer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Obi Wan was a great Jedi, there is no doubt about that. However if we go by the movies, he was bested by Dooku twice. The first time, he was about to become one with the Force when Anakin saved him (AOTC). There's no way Obi Wan survives against Sidious.
    Yoda vs. Anakin, well we know from the movies that Yoda is the top swordsman in the Jedi Order. In AOTC Obi Wan lectures Anakin that if he practiced his Saber Techniques (over his wit) he'd rival Yoda as a swordsman. Obviously Obi Wan picks Yoda because he's the best (usually when you make that comparison to lecture you pick the best), and the comparison Obi Wan uses is to push the fact that if anakin would stop being a smartass and put that energy into his studies he'd rival the best of the best. Anakins reply is he thought he already rivaled Yoda, to which Obi Wan scoffs. Granted that is AOTC, and Anakin has gotten better as a swordsman in ROTS, but, he still isn't better than Yoda. Yoda wipes the floor with Anakin. Now, would Yoda try to turn Anakin back before fighting? No, Yoda isn't anywhere near as forgiving as Obi Wan was. Yoda says Anakins gone, consumed. Yoda is telling Obi Wan the only way to end this is with Anakin's death. Yoda would have made sure Anakin was dead.

I read a lot of interesting posts about the Dooku-Anakin fight in ROTS. I always felt that Palpatine wanted to see first hand how far Anakin had come. So this was all staged by Palpatine. Dooku told Grievous that he predicted the Jedi would come, so Dooku knew the confrontation was going to happen. Now what Palpatine told Dooku can be left to speculation (I didn't read and won't read the Novel). Did Dooku hold back? I just can't see him holding back. He has to know Anakin is going to approach this as a fight to the Death, what I think happens is Dooku is surprised by just how powerful Anakin becomes when enraged.
    Also, Palpatine wants this fight for one very important reason, to see if Anakin is ready to take that next step. In Palpatines eyes, if Dooku wins, then Anakin isn't ready and Palpatine delays his plans a little longer to let Anakin gain more power (or anakin is killed outright and he wasn't worthy to become a Sith anyway). If Anakin wins, well it is obvious that Anakin has become that much more powerful, and is ready to take the next step. It doesn't serve Palpatines purpose for Dooku to hold back. So when Anakin wins, he does something very important for Palpatine. He rids Palpatine of his weaker Apprentice which opens the path for Anakin to step in thus retaining the rule of 2.
    Furthermore, don't forget the conversation that Grievous and Sidious have a little later in ROTS. Grievous talks of Dooku's death, and Sidious informs him that he will soon have a younger more powerful apprentice. Sidious tells us at least he thinks Anakin was more Powerful than Dooku.
    I just don't see Dooku holding back in the fight against Anakin. Now the how's and why's of Dooku's surprise look of betrayal I am not sure of. I just can't imagine Dooku would let Anakin win, it doesn't serve anyone's purpose as to why that confrontation was needed. Furthermore, if Dooku was going to let Anakin win, I would imagine he would have done it in a way that didn't involve getting both hands chopped off first.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013

From a choreography standpoint yes, Obi-Wan would've mopped the floor. You made my day.

3. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Yeah, I'm sure that with Palpatine gone, it wouldn't be too hard for the Jedi (Obi Wan) to bring Anakin back from his turn and into the arms of the Republic again.

4. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    The Jedi were certainly decimated by Order 66, but with Palpatine gone and Anakin either dead or being cared for by the Jedi without Palpatine around to manipulate him anymore, seems like Yoda killing Palpatine would have "saved" the Republic. Still a lot of issues to overcome, though.

Darth Dominikkus likes this.
  5. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    You're right. There would be a lot more complications that would go with this. It makes me wonder how things could have been had this change been initiated.

6. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Besides Obi-Wan being on the Council, and not trusting him. Is there any other Anakin did not tell him the truth about him and Padme?

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    The Jedi Code forbids it - Obi-Wan reminded Anakin on numerous occasions of this, most notably when he threatened him with expulsion on Geonosis.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Pretty much. Anakin knew that Obi-wan was too by the book and felt that if he told him, then Obi-wan would be obligated to inform the Council if Anakin didn't end the marriage immediately. The thing was that Obi-wan suspected it, but kept quiet for Anakin's sake since he felt that she was good at keeping him grounded. He could open up to Padme in ways that he couldn't to Obi-wan.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. HighlanderC

HighlanderC Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2005
    This is exactly how I have envisioned this...

Regarding Palpatine... This is the PURE genious of Palpatine...

"Darth Vader will become more powerful than either of us". He wants Vader to Rule... He maybe even wants Vader to kill him. That is his love for the Sith and the Empire. It is bigger than him. That is what is so great about Palpatine. Sacrifice.

10. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Obi Wan would get his **** pushed in and Anakin would be missing a head.

11. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    Missing a head? Don't you mean, missing a limb?;)

12. TheChoosen095

TheChoosen095 Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2014
    I always wondered why didnt R2-D2 got his memory erased with C3-PO. It seems is just for it to coincide with the original trilogy.

13. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Because he was smart enough to keep his mouth shut. C-3PO is a blabbermouth.

14. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    And even if he didn't, very few people understand how astromechs communicate. I don't think Senator Organa considered R2 a security breach in any case.

Also, in the novelization, 3PO is going on about telling young Princess Leia everything about her real parents before his mind is ordered wiped. Definitely confirms timmo's answer, and it showed Organa how dangerous it was for 3PO to retain that knowledge.

15. Kess Banta

Kess Banta Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 23, 2014
    "...Just south of the Rishi Maze...."
    What indicates direction in a Galaxy? Which way is deemed 'North'? And how do they indicate the third dimension relative to it?

16. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The same way north is arbitrarily defined here on Earth too, I would guess. Since the galaxy rotates on a flat plane, "north" would be anything above the galactic plane, and "south" anything below. The Rishi Maze is a satellite dwarf galaxy above the galactic plane (similar to the Magellan Clouds surrounding our own Milky Way), and Kamino is located near there.

17. Tornado Wrangler

Tornado Wrangler Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 22, 2013
    I don't think it was required for Artoo to keep his memory to match anything in the original trilogy. In fact, it would have made more sense for him to not have his memory, as he did not recognize Obi-Wan. However, knowing that Artoo knows everything that happened in the PT does add something to it, and does give a reason for his more adventurous personality compared to Threepio.

18. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    That's exactly what I was going to type until I read your post...except I was going to insert the word "beeping" in front of mouth.

:p

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  19. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Because R2-D2 promised to endlessly supply the Rebels with joints in exchange.

[​IMG]

20. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Well, 19 years in a desert can change a person physically, but presumably R2 would be able to deduce that the old man was Obi-Wan. Or may he did recognize him, but was still freaking about Tusken Raiders. It's only been a day since he was shot by Jawas, after all.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    how do we know r-2 doesn't recognize kenobi? in fact r-2 goes out to find obi-wan on his own.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I could see the reason being - that Bail knows they may need to get in touch with Obi-Wan in the future (though he doesn't know exactly when or how) so - he keeps Artoo's memory unerased, as a precaution.

23. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Considering how the droids act at the beginning of ANH (3PO doesn't know what's going on and R2 seems to know where to go, what to do...) it works really well that he "knows" all the events from the PT while 3PO doesn't.

24. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    Not many people understand R2 when he beeps and boops and communicates. He probably wasn't that much of a threat to their secrecy.

25. The_Riddler

The_Riddler Jedi Master star 3

Aug 6, 2013
    Palpatine's style was more up to the task for Yoda's and Obi-wan's for Anakin. Yoda was wise and knew this. He chose correctly and both came out alive... So it could be a "win
    ---------------

nope, Yoda didn't choose correctly at all,

Yoda should have had the foresight and brains (as any strategian would) to suggest they BOTH go after Palpatine first and then handle Anakin.

Darth Dominikkus likes this.