1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Brisbane (11th-13th November), Adelaide (18th-20th June)

Oz Comic Con: Sydney (10th-11th September), Brisbane (17th-18th September)

Oceania Random LOTR News......

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by jediguy, Mar 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jediguy Jedi Master

star 5
    First of all, if you haven't yet seen the Two Towers trailer, attached to the end of FOTR, see it now. Best. Trailer. Ever.

Now, onto the DVD news, (the link is here).

There will be two editions of the DVD, one normal edition, and one super special edition, in November. The latter will contain the extra footage:

A new addition to the opening sequence in which Bilbo provides background on Hobbits and their history in voice-over as he writes his memoirs.

A new introduction to Samwise Gamgee, seen in his capacity as a gardener.

A scene taking place at the Green Dragon Inn, which introduces us to the camaraderie of the Hobbits (we see them singing together) and sets up the geopolitics of the story.

The Hobbits witnessing the departure of the Elves from Middle Earth on the way to Bree.

Aragorn watching over the sleeping Hobbits, singing the ballad of Beren and Luthien to himself in the night.

Aragorn at his mother's grave, in which we learn that he was raised by Elves and that Sauron has long hunted him.

Two new moments during the departure from Rivendale, one in which we see Arwen's emotional reaction to Aragorn's leaving, and another in which Elrond sees the Fellowship off.

A scene with the Fellowship in the mines of Moria, in which we learn how the Dwarves themselves unleashed the fire-demon that eventually destroyed them.

A scene at Lothlorien, where Galadriel bestows upon each of the Fellowship a gift which will play an important role later in the Trilogy.

And finally, more footage of the battle at Amon Hen. This is not particularly bloody footage, but its addition will likely result in this cut of the film receiving an R-rating.

I'll certainly be buying both, but I think most people will probably wait until the SE. Your thoughts?

2. The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight

star 5
    That kinda sux. Id originally heard you would get them both in the one set. Ah well, ill wait for the SE.

And what do u mean the TT trailert at the end of FOTR?! I didnt know that!!!
  3. Sith-Gecko Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Gyah! Rivendell! Not Rivendale!

Anyhow ... yeah. Those scenes Peter didn't use will make a lot more sense. The re-foriging of Narsil would have been nice, and I wish they'd included the extra footage shot of the Uruk-Hai birthing. It establishes how they were created better, born out of the rock.
    Of course the fact that I was pupeteering unborn Uruk-hai in that scene has nothing to do with why I wish it was included. ;)

Scream, there is an awesome looking trailer at the end of Fellowship now, at the cinemas. Really worth seeing the film again for (I still have to see it at the cinema again ... that's make something like my 8th viewing, I think).
  4. stinrab Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I'll just buy the first one that comes out. The movie is too long as it is
  5. Sith-Gecko Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Is it that the movie is too long, or that your attention span is too short? ;)

It will make a lot more sense with the deleted scenes re-inserted, especially scenes like the departure of the Elves, Aragorn's history, and the gift giving at Lothlorien. The others give characters more depth, and build on the culture of Middle Earth.

Although I don't think I'll be able to make it through the hype of the first release without getting me a copy. But it's the second edition I want.
  6. Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master

star 6
    Yeah I was kinda peeved about them omitting the gift scene, so I'd love to see that. Alls I need now is a DVD player. ;)
  7. stinrab Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Gecko- Bit of both actually

The movie was terribly slow for the first 2 hours (a couple of my friends were actually ready to leave at this point) but tried to make up for it with an action-packed last hour. Put us to asleep, only to wake us up.

But that's just my opinion. I still think the movie is better than the books (I find the books incredibly boring.... do we really need 100s of pages dedicated to describing a friggin' mountain?!?! Ye gads!)
  8. Sith Magician Jedi Master

star 5
    Must be a personal thing then, my 6 year old, ordinarily hyperactive, son sat through the entire film perfectly still with his eyes glued to the screen.

I've seen it around 7 or 8 times myself, I'll gladly get the extended cut.
  9. wedge3210 Jedi Master

star 5
    I find the books incredibly boring

Amen.

But I liked the movie more than you did it would appear. I didn't like some aspects of the sets (Rivendell especially). All the characters however turned out exactly like I'd thought they would.
  10. jediguy Jedi Master

star 5
    "....characters all turned out like I thought they would."

In a good or bad way?
  11. Champion of the Force Jedi Master

star 4
    Yay for the reinserted scenes! :)

However I'll probably just rent this one and wait for the SE.

And I've got to see that TTT trailer - all reports I've heard say it's really really REALLY good. :)
  12. soneil Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well I may be the odd one out (maybe not)but I don't think the movie was as good as the books. The movie was very good but some of the changes to the storyline seemed to either confuse things or weaken key characters in my opinion. A bit too Hollywoodised even though it wasn't made there.
    I thought it was a great movie but I think the story was told a lot better and made a lot more sense in the book (I'd bore you all if I went in to examples). I'm glad that scenes will be restored to the DVD but that won't change my opinion about parts of the story that were not just shortened/left out but significantly altered. Big difference between shortening the story and changing it. Anyway, I've had this grizzle before and probably shouldn't have grizzled again but I couldn't help myself. Sorry for boring you folks (Gecko's probably gonna hit me next time she sees me). :)
    On the positive side, I think adding the reforging of Narsil/Anduril is fantastic since I thought that was just plain left out. I wish they hadn't cut it since his possession of the sword was a very significant point in the story, especially later in the story. I already knew that Galadriel's gift scene had been cut and would be added back in the DVD. It will certainly make more sense having that scene back again. You see them all wearing the elven cloaks after they leave anyway. I've got mixed opinions about some of the other deleted scenes that will be restored to the DVD so I'll reserve judgement until I see them.
    Anyway, back on topic, I'd heard about the 2 editions of the DVDs and I'll certainly be willing to wait for the 2nd one. I think it really needs the extra scenes to do it justice. In a way it's a shame that good stories have to be shortened to get them in a cinema but that's the beauty of DVDs. I look forward to seeing it the way the director intended for us to see it. I expect that it will be an example of a great movie that's even better with the deleted scenes restored (like Aliens). I'm certainly relieved that it won't be a fantastic region 1 DVD with a crappy region 4 DVD like some movies.
  13. Sith-Gecko Jedi Padawan

star 4
    (I find the books incredibly boring.... do we really need 100s of pages dedicated to describing a friggin' mountain?!?! Ye gads!)

Actually, a lot of people appreciate descriptions of that detail. It's part of a book that has become a cultural icon, and shaped every piece of Fantasy since - from the concepts behind D&D to plot points that Lucas borrowed for Star Wars.

If you find the books too long and boring, I guess that's your opinion. But to me, it shows a real lack of cultural appreciation, and an ignorance for quality literature.

And if that's how boring you found the descriptions in LOTR, I can only imagine how you'd find Moby Dick. ;)
  14. TheOzhaggis Jedi Master

star 5

I didn't think they did a bad job at translating the books for film, all things considered. In fact, I think you're lucky the films are as close to the books as they are. I saw an interview with Jackson talking about this, and they were really breaking a lot of rules to keep it as faithful as they have.

The bad guys (black riders) chase the heroes for the first half of the film, then aren't seen again?

And you've got an evil villain who is an eyeball?

If it wasn't so famous, they'd never get away with some of the stuff they did in FOTR. Which is why no-one else has tried to film it. Which is why Jackson et al really deserve a big pat on the back, if not every Oscar you can throw at them (not that i put much stock in Oscars anymore).

As Roger Ebert said, what makes LOTR stand out from other movies based on books is that you can tell that the filmmakers have actually read the books.

And goddamnit, I want to go see the TT trailer, but there's just SOOOO many other films to see. :( I've already got a backlist of like three movies. And as much as I'd like to see FOTR again, I can't see it happening before it finishes its run.

I will just have to wait until the trailer hits the net. Or hope it pops up on other movies.
  15. stinrab Manager Emeritus

star 5
    But to me, it shows a real lack of cultural appreciation, and an ignorance for quality literature.

Nope, it's just not my cup of tea
  16. wedge3210 Jedi Master

star 5
    In a good or bad way?

In a good way. Like I said, the only problem I had with some of the movie was the sets. And maybe part of the score... "You shall be... the fellowship of the ring."

And the "Not the beard" line is LOTR's fart joke.

And even Tolkien said that LOTR wasn't his greatest work. 'The Hobbit' poops all over it in terms of literary value. The trilogy gets bogged down sometimes, the Rivendell scenes especially.
  17. Sith Magician Jedi Master

star 5
    EDIT: SM was still logged in on my comp ... [face_plain]
  18. Sith-Gecko Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Heh, the Trilogy gets bogged down, eh?
    Then tell me why so many people like reading the Bible.

And Wedge ... they're a damn sight better than any of the shoddy jobs in TPM. The only decent sets were ones filmed in actual buildings. On FOTR, everything was created from scratch inside an old paint factory. And at least it all looked convincingly real - they stuck religiously to the illustrations of Allen Lee na dJohn Howe, who are considered to be the definitive Tolkien artists. Overall, I loved the sets, as they fit in very well with the very formal style.

And as far as the "Not the beard" and "No one tosses a Dwarf" line ... well, think of Dwarves as little Klingons.
  19. Champion of the Force Jedi Master

star 4
    'The Hobbit' poops all over it in terms of literary value.

I'd drink to that statement. Whilst LOTR is a good epic story I personally prefer 'The Hobbit' for its much simpler, straightforward, and above all fun storyline. Which is why it's my favourite novel. :)
  20. Darth-Tom Jedi Padawan

star 4
    so does this mean if i go see it at the cinema tomorrow here in Adelaide i will get to see TTTT? (extra T is for trailer :) ) i don't really wanna watch it again and then find out i don't get to seeeeee it. I've allready lost 9 hours of my life to that movie :)
  21. Sith-Gecko Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I guess I'd concur on that point, but I still find The Hobbit far too easy. I read it first when I was just on 8 years old, and I must have read it 10 times since. It just doesn't interest me as much anymore - although I still love to read over "Riddles in the Dark", being my favourite chapter.

It all depends on what you like to read. I love complex Fantasy novels, so LOTR is exactly my sort of thing. My second favourite trilogy of books, first favourite being the Daughter of the Empire trilogy by Raymond Feist & Janny Wurts.

Having said that, LOTR has a lot more depth to it than just a casual read. So some people that like to read to escape and not have to concentrate on reading meaning into things may not appreciate the strong symbolism and values represented in the LOTR trilogy. It is heavier reading than most Fantasy novels, simply because it outdates them, and carries a eavier, more epic and classic feel.
  22. jediguy Jedi Master

star 5
    The bad guys (black riders) chase the heroes for the first half of the film, then aren't seen again?
    They got physically destroyed just outside Rivendell, so there wasn't much point going back there, because they can't 'enter' Rivendell. You'll see them in the next movie, anyway.

And you've got an evil villain who is an eyeball?
    Sauron doesn't actually "look" like a giant eyeball, it's just a projection/symbol of his all-seeing gaze. At the time of FOTR, he wasn't actually embodied yet.
  23. Sith Magician Jedi Master

star 5
    You'll see them in the next movie, anyway.

Thanks [face_plain]
  24. TheOzhaggis Jedi Master

star 5

I know that, Jediguy.

I was just pointing out that if someone tried to make a film where the villain is a floating eyeball and the henchman are only in the first half of the the film, and then knew villains are brought in at the end of the film, well ... you'd be laughed out of the studio.

25. jediguy Jedi Master

star 5
    Sorry, I just get jumpy when I see wrong LOTR facts.

:D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.