main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Random LOTR News......

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by jediguy, Mar 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    It's watchable.

Not that I'd know, of course.

2. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

From, erm, what I hear ... it's okay, but flickers. It's basically some git sitting in the front row of the cinema with a handicam.

And looks pretty damn good, too.

... from what I've been told.

:)

3. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    mediocre qualiaty, still it's better than the ep1 opening night vcd i've seen, that was crap

*sits back to bask in the warmth of the flames to come*

4. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    I had a decent enough Ep1 VCD, but I got it a while after it was out. It was in between the theatre release and the video release.

The TTT preview looks very good though. I'd have preferred that sort of trailer to the Clone War SW one. Clone War is good to keep the surprises coming, whereas TTT was made to show people what some parts will look like that they've been thinking of for ages since they read the books. While Clone War was a tease of things we don't know about.

But yeah... very jumpy.

5. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

Well, I just had a weird convo with my sisters boyfriend.

Not only does he claim to have FOTR on DVD (pirate from Thailand, which I can believe, I know people have them), but he claims that a friend of his has all three of them on VCD.

I laughed and said yeah right, there not even finished yet.

But, makes you wonder - if there's rough cuts of AOTC floating around, maybe there's roughs of LOTR as well?

Not that I want one - just wondering if anyone else has heard something like that?

6. Jacques_Cousteau

Jacques_Cousteau Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2002
    I laughed and said yeah right, there not even finished yet.

Actually as far as i know they are, all three movies were filmed back to back, a total of 18 months on location. They may not be edited yet, im not sure about that, although i imagine they would be, but the filming is definatly done. so it is possable...however unlikley, that he has vcd's of all 3.

7. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    There's a bit of pick up shoots to go, but no doubt there would be rough cuts about.

8. Sith-Gecko

Sith-Gecko Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Actually as far as i know they are, all three movies were filmed back to back, a total of 18 months on location. They may not be edited yet, im not sure about that, although i imagine they would be, but the filming is definatly done. so it is possable...however unlikley, that he has vcd's of all 3.

The 18 months over which they were shot was only the shooting period. The trilogy will take ages to edit, and there is also the extensive development of CGI work to be done. That usually takes up all the post-production time, and from what I last heard from the people involved, it's still continuing. So, no, he wouldn't have the VCDs. Especially with security that tight - about a year and a half ago, when I was still in New Zealand working on the film, I saw rough cuts of all three films. Even then, only 40 minutes of footage had been edited - 40 minutes out of the entire trilogy. That's 1/4 of Fellowship of the Ring.
    So, no. He's obviously lying to impress you - I had the same thing happen with some guy trying to explain in a games shop about how some celebrity had given her boyfriend the entire trilogy on DVD. Absolute bollucks. :)

9. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    exactly!

They were all filmed back to back, but they are still "tweaking" the two towers and they are still adding/deleting etc stuff from the return of the king.

no way would he, or anyone, have TTT, let alone ALL THREE!

there is possibility he has the fellowship.

10. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    There is a really decent bootleg DVD of FOTR out there. It goes on Ebay for about $100 when it's on there. The screen shots are very clear and it looks good.

No word on sound quality though... But it has extras like trailers and everything. Pretty good work for a bootleg.

11. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    what a total waste of money!

$100 - damn! wait a few months and get the real DVD in perfect condition for half that price.

bootlegs are lame anyway.

EDIT = oh, and this 'backs' up my previous post about the DVD's.

it seems solid.

(scroll about half way down the page.)

12. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Apparently there is a new wave of LOTR FOTR action figures!

w00t!

//just when I thought I was actually saving money! And right before/at the same time as AOTC figures hmmmmmm //

13. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    I have a few of the first wave I'm planning on selling later. Ones like Boromir and Aragon are already reasonably rare.

14. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Boromir rare? - weird, he came with Lurtz - over here in NZ they were not rare.

Aragorn was/is very rare!

I have the entire set - so must get new wave!

:p

What else is a student loan for? I managed to get the entire set of the FOTR for B/Day and X-mas prezzies!

:) :D

15. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    I have a Strider... make me an offer.

I don't know. I'll hold onto them. I don't think Boromir came with anyone else. Unless he has a two pack thing. Hell, I'm not even sure now.

16. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    LISTEN TO ME - I KNOW!

Boromir + Lurtz came together in a pack and was the same price as the Moria Orc with Merry and Pippen. (if we are talking about the same brand of figures.)

I need 8 more Black Riders on Horses - though one was $50 :(

:D

17. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Agh, yes. I know now. Too many toys in this room.

18. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001

and soon I foresee more...

:D

19. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Saw four new ones today. An Orc fighter. Not too bad. Elrond in a very overly-dramtic fighting stance. A Bilbo Baggins. And yet another Aragon figure. This time with a bow, and his name on it is Aragon.

20. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

I don't know if this counts as LOTR news or not, but anyway...

I was strolling through the release lists and noticed a few big names up against Two Towers:

* Red Dragon (prequel to Silence of the Lambs)

* Harry Potter

* Austin Powers 3

* Star Trek X

and others

Sure, not really "competition", but sure to make it a busy time of year ...

21. jediguy

Jun 10, 2000
    Harry Potter is the only serious contender, and even then because 100,000,000,000 kids will drag their mums and dads to see the movie 20 times, no matter how boring and badly-made it is...

22. jediguy

Jun 10, 2000
  23. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    The problem with the really good quality fotr dvd is that at a few important points thrughout the film, a bunch of text start scrolling across the screen saying "this dvd is property of New line Cinema, if you have purchased or rented this movie, please contact the Copyright Office on 1800 NOCOPIES"

So that kinda dampens the whole movie.

There have been dvd's made, but only academy award's screening copies for the folk to watch when deciding what film get's the awards.

the only good thing about those fotr dvd's is that they won't have macrovision copy protection enabled (what bootleg does?) so they can be copied if you have a dvd burner, and they cost $2000 base price for the worst on the market. Or if you buy LG's new dvd / vcr which can only copy dvd's with macrovision disabled.

you'd be amazed how many folks try to return their dvd/vcr even after we tell them they can't copy almost all commercially bought dvd's.

24. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    woohoo!

here are the pics of the new figures:

Aragorn:
    [image=http://www.aftimes.com/fpimages/lotr/lotrasst3/aragornpackage.jpg]

not too bad.

Elrond:
    [image=http://www.aftimes.com/fpimages/lotr/lotrasst3/elrondpackage.jpg]

pretty cool.

Orc Warrior:
    [image=http://www.aftimes.com/fpimages/lotr/lotrasst3/orcwarriorpackage.jpg]

not too bad.

I'm guessing they will also bring out:

Galadriel
    Celeborn

Bill would be cool! but not sure about him, though they did do Arwen and Asfaloth.

25. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Here is a post from "The Council of Elrond" discussion forums:

They have some new Action figures out 2 new double packs of Gimli with a Uruk-Hai and Frodo and Sam with a Lorien Boat. They also have new single figures but I didn't see those in the store but they are Elrond in his Last Alliance gear, Bilbo, a new Aragorn, and a orc

And here are some pics of figures from "The Two Towers".

If you are spoiler free - you may not want to view these figures.

http://www.elfenomeno.com/peliculas/imag/merchandising/dv00025.jpg

http://www.elfenomeno.com/peliculas/imag/merchandising/dv00000.jpg

http://www.elfenomeno.com/peliculas/imag/merchandising/dv00003.jpg

http://www.elfenomeno.com/peliculas/imag/merchandising/dv00010.jpg

http://www.elfenomeno.com/peliculas/imag/merchandising/dv00012.jpg

http://www.elfenomeno.com/peliculas/imag/merchandising/dv00020.jpg

http://www.elfenomeno.com/peliculas/imag/merchandising/dv00013.jpg

http://www.elfenomeno.com/peliculas/imag/merchandising/dv00001.jpg

They are looking awesome!

I wonder, if they will be out earlier than December!

//fingers crossed//

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.