Oceania Random LOTR News......

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by jediguy, Mar 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kahli Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think people need to understand that LOTR isn't a spoiler free kind of thing - it's been around for longer than most of the people on this board, ergo, how it ends isn't a secret. I think the 'spoiler free' period ended roughly.... 50 years ago?
  2. Glamdring Jedi Padawan

Still, there are those few of us who are experiencing it for the first time on the screen, is it not just courteous to maybe give spoiler warnings/spaces? And not to just assume everyone here knows the story backwards?
    C'mon, there's no need to deliberately spoil ppl, it's not that hard to post a spoiler warning if you're talking about something in the next film is it?
  3. kahli Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I don't know the story, or how it ends. I've not read the books. I just accept that fact that millions have, and I will probably know heaps before christmas 2003.

It's not like star wars, where only one guy actually knows how all this ends even though scores fo net geeks scheme and plot and dig to find it all out.

but yeh, it couldn't hurt for people to be a little more... cautious.
  4. Nyder Jedi Master

star 4
    You should read the book, kahli, it is very good, even better than the movies :)
  5. kahli Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I tried to read ages ago it but found it somewhat... plodding. I hear it gets better as you go.
  6. TheOzhaggis Force Ghost

star 5

It took me about 3 or 4 attempts (over a few years) to get into them - then I saw the trailers for FOTR and decided to read each book just before each movie came out - finished FOTR the week before FOTR came out.

Then I saw FOTR and couldn't wait another 12 months to see what happened next, so I read the other two in a few days...

(And here's me thinking I can stay spoiler free for E3! lol)
  7. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Does anyone know how much the super special fabulous extended edition will be?

Also, has anyone heard what the running time will be for THE TWO TOWERS?

I am hoping it will be another 3 hour epic.
  8. jediguy Force Ghost

star 5
    The running time for TTT will be 3 hours and 14 minutes, and I'm guessing the Special Extended Edition (not Deluxe) will be around $60.
  9. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Do you know how much the 5 disc version will be?

Where did you get confirmed the running time, is it on their official site?
  10. Eye_of_Sauron Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Acording to a friend who runs a collectables store, the 5 disc set will be $179.95, but apparently we'll have to wait until around jan. or feb. in this deep dark corner of the planet, something to do with different sculpts in the box to the argonath statues that aren't going to be ready in time.
  11. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I am NOT going to pay $180 for a 5 disc DVD set!
  12. Eye_of_Sauron Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Neither am I, still getting it though ;)
  13. Teknobabel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Given i just paid 20 for xfiles season 2, there is no way i am paying that much for that 5 disc set, i'll get my friend to buy it for me,
    as I always say, having friends in retail is the best thing you can have
  14. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    20... do you mean 200? Confused!
  15. jediguy Force Ghost

star 5
    The running time comes from TORN:

"Thanks to a heads up for Ringer Spy 'A Fan' we got news today that The Two Towers current cut of the film is 3 hours and 14 minutes. Here's more juicy tidbits:

The current cut of THE TWO TOWERS has it at 3:14. The battle of Helm's Deep is 50 minutes, give or take.

I can say this...there IS an Ent battle filmed. I'm not sure if it's for the film or for some extended version down the road, but we do see the Ents march on Isengard.

Woo hoo! Ents marching on Isengard...I can't wait! We have not yet confirmed the details of this story, but as soon as we get word, we'll let you know."
  16. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I doubt very much the Helms Deep fight will be 50mins. Remember the early comments about Fellowship being 3 hours with 1/3 in Elvish with english subtitles? hehe

TTT will be roughly 3hours (I can, at this stage believe it's at 3h 14mins) but it will be cut more before we see it on December the 18th.
  17. jediguy Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, Peter Jackson has said many times that Helms Deep WILL be 45 minutes of uninterrupted footage, so I'm not too skeptical.
  18. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    LOTR replica Rings are going to be on sale soon.

PASCOES has:
    Sterling Silver Rings $99.00
    Some other ring $149.00
    8ct Gold Ring $499.00
    18ct Gold Ring (I forget as I was blown away when I heard the high price for the 8carrot gold ring.

These are NZ prices and I'm not 100% sure on the exact prices as it was a week or so ago I made the enquiry and I kinda lost track as I heard the prices.
  19. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    IMDb have the Two Towers clocked at 163 minutes.

Sounds about right for mine. Especially since a lot of stuff has been moved form the end of Part 2 to the beginning of Part 3 according to Jackson.
  20. Teknobabel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Gatherer, about that xiles season box, I did pay $20, it's due to work having a stocktake sale before we go franchise.

If Jackson has to move stuff to the beginning of part 3, i'm all for it, if it makes for a more streamlined transition, go for it.
  21. jediguy Force Ghost

star 5
    He's moved Shelob, which (I suppose) is quite a major plot piece, mainly to flesh out ROTK.
  22. Somebody_For_Someone Jedi Master

star 4
    Right now, TTT is going to end up as 3 hours 14 minutes (that's 194 mins, if you can't do arithmetic), with all the editing that they've done so far. Battle of Hornburg, I've heard, will be about 50 mins (YE-AAAH!!!).
  23. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    UP!

I wonder if Peter Jackson will keep the story line as it is in the book - jumping back a few days - and forward etc from Sam and Frodo to Aragorn etc - or if he'll add all the bits of sam and frodo together and play that out fully - then do a whole sequence of Aragorn etc. Either way could work - but the book wy would be better (but perhaps slightly confusing to some people).

//shruggs shoulders//

oh, and:

Special Edition DVD out in less than a month!

11th November!!! :D

24. jediguy Force Ghost

star 5
    And FOTR will be back in theatres at the end of November. :)
  25. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Really? That's pretty cool, and rather suprising seeing as it was out in cinema's for like 7-8 months.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.