main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Random Star Wars Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Bosh_Talk, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
  2. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I read that today on CNN. I wish there was a little more about what romantic notions are being debunked.

3. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Since it's coming from LFL it'll probably have lots of good stuff....but any REALLY GOOD STUFF will be edited for consumption. Speaking of which, what happened to Carrie Fisher's Star Wars "tell-all"? Speaking of Carrie Fisher, she just picked up a job at Turner Classics talking about old movies.

Bosh

4. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    linky no worky.

Is this the $75 "Making of Star Wars" book coming out soon? Man, what a price tag. I'll wait for the paperback or buy it used, thanks.

It looks relatively interesting as it does feature supposedly "unseen" interviews conducted by Charles Lippincott at the time of the film's creation. And I was actually surprised at the candor Lucas and his team displayed in the making-of doc included on the trilogy's DVD release.

But yeah, it should be by no means anything close to an "objective" perspective on the creation of the films. for that, I recommend, as ever, Garry Jenkins' Empire Building.

5. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    That was the link. I'm sure it'll be easy to find online a day or so after it comes out.

Bosh
    "Print is dead."

6. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    You can vote at USPS for which individual SW stamp should have its own pane. Also, there is a contest and the big prize is C4. vote here

7. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    Now this is SW TV I'll watch. Even with George Lucas attached to the project. LOL
    I love the nerve and audacity of some of the skits on this show. Pure Non-"PC" Bliss!

Robot Chicken: Star Wars

8. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    In my growing need for "Heroes"-related news, I succumbed to clicking on a link to an Ain't It Cool story. After scrolling through tons of adds, I read the brief snippet of info they had, making sure to avoid the black hole that is their "talkback" forums.

Anyway, what did catch my eye was a fairly lengthy rundown of the Lost Interviews (or whatever) book:
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32410

It sounds like Matt's right: anyone who's read "Empire Building" isn't likely to find a lot of new stuff here. Still, it might be nice to have on paperback or maybe as a Christmas gift.

Sorta off-topic, but when did Ain't It Cool News become a massive Amazon.com commercial? I wouldn't be surprised if they soon found a way to automatically insert hyperlinks into the forum posts any time someone typed "x-files" or "the office." I recall reading an interview with Harry Knowles long long ago in which he talked about the struggle of balancing advertisements while maintaining some kind of journalistic/weblog integrity. Looks like that struggle is long over.

-Le Penguin
    "They're not the same character. At least I hope they're not."

9. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    that's funny...reading that review actually made me want to own the book, for this material:

That bonus section sounds pretty amazing to me. It's on my Amazon wish list. So one of you jokers buy it for me.

NOW.

10. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    Oh ye gods.

From some FOX entertainment news wire:

-----

But of course, we were most interested in talking with George Lucas, the affable genius film director who occasionally graces us in New York with an appearance. Lucas is absolutely one of my favorite people, a lovely guy who seems unaffected by his enormous success.

Lucas is currently preparing "Indiana Jones 4" with Harrison Ford, Blanchett and Shia LaBoeuf. The latter plays Ford's son, which means his mother was possibly the character Karen Allen played in "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

"I can't say," Lucas said when I brought up Allen.

Lucas says that Sean Connery still hasn't signed on, but his character, Indy's dad, is in the script. Other than that, his lips are sealed.

"Steven thinks we can keep the whole thing a secret," Lucas told me. "I explained to him that it's impossible nowadays. We can't live like that."

So then, tell me more about "Indy 4," I suggested.

"Oh no," replied Lucas with a smile.

Lucas told me he has seen all the summer movies since his company, Industrial Light and Magic, does most of the special effects. The only one they didn't work on was "Spider-Man 3." What did he think of it?

"It's silly. It's a silly movie," he said. "There just isn't much there. Once you take it all apart, there's not much story, is there?"

Well, it's not "Star Wars."

"People thought 'Star Wars' was silly, too," he added, with a wink. "But it wasn't."

Lucas, by the way, says he is readying "Clone Wars," an animated series for TV that's derived from "Star Wars." Many "Star Wars" characters appear in "Clone Wars," but voiced by other actors.

And here's a little news: Lucas tells me he will make two more live-action films based in the "Star Wars" era.

"But they won't have members of the Skywalker family as characters," he said. "They will be other people of that milieu."

The two extra films will also be made for TV and probably be an hour long each. But, like "Clone Wars," Lucas doesn't know where on TV they will land.

Hello, HBO and Showtime. It may be time to pony up.

11. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    The majority of me thinks this is fan-made but the concept of it is very, very cool.....

www.talesofthenewrepublic.com

12. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    1. Check out the official site if you havn't yet today.

Oh my god dr. Jawa, awesome. AWESOME. thank you for bringing this to my attention, you're a first caliber web-denizen. Visually i think its spot on. If the real animated series is anywhere near this i'll be pleased. The models are nice, and the (I don't know how else to put this) the claymation quality of it. The things look like they exist in space, and weren't just rendered, the lighting, I know helps a lot, like here.here.

Most exciting parts visually; the fleet of CR-90s, and the Immobilizer, and Mon Mothma and Threepio on a Blockade Runner. Most exciting narrative parts; Fel, Leia(?) with a saber, the Padawans.

My only big gripe is Vader, he looked like a chicken. Thats all, thank you.

13. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    How can this NOT be fan-made? I mean, I see the little blurb at the bottom of this page (I refuse to go to the main TFN page anymore, so I won't read the story).

For off, it does have some unpolished edges, things that a firm well versed in making videos like this wouldn't do, such at the X-wings bombing the AT-AT; the proton torpedoes look like they're going 5 kph, not elventy-billion like they should. Don't get me wrong, I certainly couldn't do work anywhere near as good as this, but I think the "pros" would do better.

Also, that domain is going though a different registrar than the other Lucasian domains.

Finally, didn't Lucas say that the new series would not include characters from the trilogy? Darth Vader aside, wouldn't that also preclude Mon Monthma and 3PO?

14. DrJawa

Apr 22, 2005
    Yep, it's official, it's fan made. This would make for a great show though. Let's hope we get some good C4 announcements soon but I'm not holding my breath.

By the way, the official SW site has been re-launched.

15. Warsie

Warsie Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 23, 2005
    WE HAVE a 404!!

16. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    Hi, hope this is news for someone:)

http://news.com.com/2300-1026_3-6186914-1.html?tag=ne.gall.pg

17. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    The offical site has a trailer for the new animated series up: here

18. DrJawa

Apr 22, 2005
    Now this is official and I think it looks fantastic. Head over to the official site to watch trailer for the new Clone Wars series!

19. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    That's hot! I wasn't very hyped about the original Clone Wars and not overly fond of the Samurai Jack animation style...but this looks mega-sweet.

D'

20. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    kosure: 2:21 PM
    DrJawa: 2:21 PM

BAZAAAM!

21. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    Clicking link-to-link on all the 30th anniversary and new cartoon stories brought me to a pretty in-depth interview with Gary Kurtz, recorded in between Eps I and II:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/376/376873p1.html

Pages 3 and 4 get heavily into the Star Wars stuff, but it's an interesting read overall.

-Le Penguin
    "He saw it on the television."

22. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
  23. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Haha!

Some of those are truly sweet.

24. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    Were it not for the misspelling of "Mos Eisley," that Jar Jar Binks "entertainer of the year" bit is the best by far.

The originals at SW.com are pretty amusing too. Too lazy to link.

Watched the animated series trailer on Sunday. It looks relatively neat but I have absolutely no idea why they are bothering to produce a Clone Wars animated series when the CLONE WARS ARE ESSENTIALLY OVER AND WE ALREADY KNOW HOW THEY ENDED.

Seriously. Apply this level of coolness to something set sometime during the OT, or even post-OT, or even pre-prequels, and I'm interested. But the central idea seems highly flawed to me.

I will, however, watch it.

25. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    Someone said they watched the so-called "prequels" last week. They look relatively neat but I have absolutely no idea why they bothered to produce prequel films when the OLD REPUBLIC WAS ESSENTIALLY OVER AND WE ALREADY KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.

Seriously. Apply this level of technical wizardly to something set sometime post-ROTJ, or even pre-Yoda, or even the KOTOR era and I'm interested. But the central idea seemed highly flawed to me.

KOTOR: the series. Now, I'd watch that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.