main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by Solo42986, Dec 28, 2002.

1. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    It could be anything. We would need to agree first do we know what molds to create.

2. Darth Erebus

Darth Erebus Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    So after the last few events in my sith attire and people calling me darth vader i began thinking. I know there are a lot of people that as far as star wars goes there is just the movies and anything custom made, extended universe, etc. is almost completely alien. The idea that just popped in my head was that like the trading cards everybody hands out we could also hand out little info sheets or cards on basic info and time of existence in the star wars universe. I think this will help people who are unfamiliar with certain characters and hopefully lead to them looking into and learning more about the characters from the expanded universe. I believe this will help with EU but for the custom characters it will still be a little different. For the customs i think it would be a little more of little mix of info like character bio, costume creation notes, and info and the costumer wearing the custom costume. This i believe will show people our love for star wars, costuming, and adding our own bits the the universe.

The big difference between these info sheets and the trading cards is that the info sheets can contain more info and i figure would just be of a simple layout on regular paper. maybe even flyer sized (quarter sheet of paper).

just a thought what do you all think?

3. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002
    I'll share my personal thoughts on that. When people hear that Star Wars characters are going to be appearing at an event, they are looking for recognizable characters that they've seen in the films, especially the main characters.

SW is second nature to us, the extreme, over the top fans. Average fans who have seen any of the films once and enjoyed them, often have a hard time distinguishing even the main and secondary characters. At the Bisons open house, Gil was mistaken for a Stormtrooper. While wearing my AT-ST Driver, I get asked what costume I'm wearing or if I'm a Stormtrooper.

Many custom or even EU costumes are excellent for cons as they play host to the extreme fans, particularly the ones who dive deeper into the SW universe than some of us. However, as you can see, you're facing the casual fan/public assuming you are a different character.

That's not to say that you cannot build a costume not wear it to an event. Just take caution that you may need to explain or answer some questions to help them understand who you are. It's seldom a bad thing to engage the public. It could lead to an invite to an event, a new member, or brighten their day.

If you want to draft, create and print info about your costume, feel free to run with it. Just be careful as the public tends to flick to freebies and handouts. You could be burning through a lot of ink and finding your handouts in the trash or on the scattered on the ground at events. I see it happen with flyers and coloring pages often.

72Princess likes this.
  4. 72Princess

72Princess Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 15, 2010
    I am glad today is over. Whew!! Busy, crazy, day.

5. quigonschuel

quigonschuel Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2011
    I've got a headache that just does NOT want to go away! :(

6. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
  7. lgtsbr

lgtsbr Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    bravo Rolston for benching Leino after taking that stupid, ill timed penalty. Maybe sitting for 2 periods will wake him, and the rest of the team, up a little. I would be surprised if Leino isn't the healthy scratch on Saturday

8. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    PLEASE NOTE: THE APRIL MEETING DATE HAS BEEN TO CHANGED TO SUNDAY APRIL 14 AT 1PM HOSTED BY MICHELLE & GREG

9. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002
    Should be a nice day today. Good chance to wash the truck!

10. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
  11. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
  12. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002
    I haven't seen the canal level this high in a long time

13. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002
    Woohoo! The weather broke yesterday. It was just enough to be able to get the new decals on the truck!

14. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    i am only 3 weeks behind schedule.... :oops:

15. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
  16. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002
    Post #39,001

Woohoo!

17. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    I need time to move forward by two weeks right now!

18. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    Just say what's on your mind if you have the cajones to do so...

19. BobbyFromBUF

BobbyFromBUF Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 23, 2013
    Q: How does Snoop Doggy Dogg do his laundry?
    A: With Bleee-atch!

Q: Why does Snoop Doggy Dogg always carry an umbrella?
    A: Fo' drizzle.

20. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
  21. lgtsbr

lgtsbr Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    talk about service - order placed for 50 Luke ROTJ Buckle Blanks at 8:35 am, finished and shipped by 7 pm. As long as the quality is there, I am amazed with that turn around. That is water jet cut 1/8" thick aluminum with special finish to smooth any burs and such......

22. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
  23. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    I don't think I will continue to schedule appointments (ex: dental) on the one random day the kids have off from school. I feel like we did not have a chance to truly enjoy their day off from school today, and mine off from work.

24. JediXXL

Apr 11, 2003
    Just plain weird...

25. 72Princess

Jun 15, 2010
    Pressure. Bring it.