Random Thread

Discussion in 'Boston, MA' started by Jedi_Knight150, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherijo Jedi Youngling

Actually not too far from Oak Street. I am working as an RA for my old boarding school, Walnut Hill. It is b/t bacon and highland streets. I love it here in the summer, but OMG I do not have a/c :( and it has been soooooo hot... I grew up in the south, but lorda mercy this is hot weather.
  2. hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Happy fourth of July Everyone!! [face_flag] I hope everyone's holiday is safe and relaxing.
  3. Wildstar02301 Jedi Master

star 4
    Unless I miss my guess, the "Boston vs. New York Poker Challenge" final table episode will be reaired next week, so if you want to see "Fast" Freddy Kaplan own those New Yorkers on the felt, check the schedule on NESN.com
  4. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Hope everyone had a happy and safe 4th of July [face_flag]!

So now that it's over what did everyone do over the long weekend?

My weekend was filled with cookouts, a pool party, and of course fireworks (and they weren't that good either :mad:).
  5. DarthWormie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Didn't do too much over the weekend. The biggest "event" was my wife and I took the kids down to Scituate to visit the in-laws on Sunday. They have a nice in the ground pool and we did alot of grillin' and chillin' :D Then in the afternoon we took advantage of the free babysitting and drove down to the harbor and walked around.

The rest of the weekend was filled with little odds and ends that need to get done around the house. We also started shopping for my son's birthday which is on the 16th. So far we have bought him some Thomas trains and the Galactic Heroes Millenium Falcon which we found in the clearance aisle of the local Target :D All that's left for gift getting is something "educational". We'll probably end up going to the Learning Express store for that.

Hope everyone else had a fun and safe weekend!
  6. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Then in the afternoon we took advantage of the free babysitting...

Isn't that the best :D? It's even better when they are old enough to call on their own and ask if they can sleep-over [face_dancing].
  7. DarthWormie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    isn't that the best?

You said it man! I was sitting there down by the lighthouse with my wife, eating an ice cream, watching the boats slip in and out of the harbor and a calm wave of serenity just swept over me.

It was the longest I've been able to sit in one place without having to start a sentence "Jeff, don't..." or "Jeff, stop..." ;)
  8. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    It was the longest I've been able to sit in one place without having to start a sentence "Jeff, don't..." or "Jeff, stop..."

Tell me about it. It gets even "better" when they get a little older and realize that they can do even worse things that will really push your buttons :mad:.
  9. hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Tell me about it. It gets even "better" when they get a little older and realize that they can do even worse things that will really push your buttons
    Oh fun... [face_mischief]
  10. Wildstar02301 Jedi Master

star 4
    Although he's not a member of this community, I'll send congratulations out to Bernard Lee of Wayland, MA, who finished 13th in the World Series of Poker Main Event. 5,619 players shelled out $10,000 (or won a satellite tournament) to enter. Mr. Lee beat out most of poker's greats and just missed making it to the final table, so these congrats are well-earned. He also wins $400,000 for his trouble.

Edit: Aaron Kanter eliminated Bernard Lee. Kanter earlier also eliminated top pro Phil Ivey and dealt a crippling beat to defending champion Greg "Fossilman" Raymer. Here's Lee's final hand...Kanter raised w/ Q-6, Lee re-raised all-in w/ K-7. Lee flopped top pair (K-6-3) and Kanter middle pair. Lee survived the turn (J), but Kanter caught a 6 on the river, giving him a set (three-of-a-kind). Bad beat. :(

Lee may have been the story of the tournament, though...his wife underwent surgery for an ovarian tumor and was taken to the emergency room for potential complications (which just proved to be a scare) just days before he left for Vegas.

(Some material taken from Steve Rosenbloom's blog on ESPN.com)

2nd edit: The tournament was won by Joe Hachem of Melbourne, Australia. Highlights from the tournament will air on ESPN later this year.
  11. hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Congrats to him on doing so well against so many people.
  12. Wildstar02301 Jedi Master

star 4
    Boston sports fared rather well in the ESPY Awards, which were aired last night. The Red Sox had a strong showing, winning ESPYs for "Best Team" and "Best Game" (for ALCS Game 5), and Curt Schilling won an ESPY for "Best Championship Performance". The Patriots weren't left out of it, either, as Bill Belichick won the ESPY for "Best Coach". Congrats to all of them.
  13. Wildstar02301 Jedi Master

star 4
    Does the Force have a real-life counterpart?

Scientific American article

Fascinating reading, but somehow, "May the Higgs field be with you." just doesn't seem to cut it. [face_laugh]
  14. hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan

star 4
    May the Force be with you does sound better than may the higgs field be with you. That was an interesting article though.
  15. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    That was pretty interesting. It's kinda funny when you think about it, but there are a few different articles out there from within the different areas of scientific research that show there have been advancements in technology that would be considered comparable to the things found in the Star Wars universe. Such as the development of robots that can function with a limited form of Artificial Intelligence, even studies on how a RepulsorLift would work to make everyday cars a thing of the past. Only time will tell how close the Star Wars universe is to the real world.
  16. hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan

star 4
    It would be cool if people could start to use things similar to what is seen in the Star Wars Universe. :)
  17. Wildstar02301 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd be remiss as a true Boston sports fan to let this week go without noting that the NHL lockout has ended, meaning that the Bruins will be back in business starting in September. A lot of "experts" say that the B's have a great chance to improve with teams dumping high-salaried players in order to go under the new salary cap. Here's hoping that happens, and the men in black and gold win their first Stanley Cup since 1972 next year. :D
  18. chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I am glad to see hockey back. I was having withdrawals. If the season was going to be a wash this year I would have went nuts especially since Worcester lost the Ice Cats. Hopefully my wife can score some good seats like she did the year before. We had seats at center ice for the playoffs club seats that is. And we had some great seats for the game against Tampa before the playoffs. They were behind the net up in the Premium section. We had our own bar area. lol That rocked. When I lived in Minneapolis I was lucky to get into a luxury box for one of the Wild's preseason game against my fav team the Blackhawks. Then I got the chance to be in the club section a few times. I tell ya consultants and their butt kissing works every time for me. That is how I could go to a lot of the games I went to. For hockey, basketball for the T-wolves, and football for the Vikes which was hard being a Bears fan. lol But they were good seats in the end zone. lol
  19. hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Good luck getting tickets for the upcoming season and it sounds like you have had some really good seats in the past. :)
  20. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    It shouldn't be too hard to get tickets at first, but once people start to remember what hockey is and then when they see that ticket prices have gone down since the last season I'm sure they will start to become harder to aquire as the season progresses.
  21. hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan

star 4
  22. DarthWormie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Sad news kiddies. Bob "Gilligan" Denver passed away today at the age of 70 :(

23. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Haven't really seen much of Bob Denver around in the news for a while now. It's too bad that he's gone.
  24. hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan

star 4
    That is too bad, may he rest in peace. :(
  25. Wildstar02301 Jedi Master

star 4
    It is the dawn of a new era on Chestnut Hill.

The Boston College football team, headed into the weekend #17 in the AP poll and #16 in the coaches' poll after wins against BYU and Army, will play its first ever Atlantic Coast Conference game Saturday night at Alumni Stadium against none other than Bobby Bowden's Florida State Seminoles. And you know it's a big event because ESPN's College GameDay show will visit the BC campus for the first time ever. The game itself will also be broadcast nationally on ESPN, and is scheduled for a 7:45 PM Eastern time kickoff.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.