main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Random Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Jedi_Knight150, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    It's great to see the BC Eagles getting off to a great start! Now that they are in the ACC they should probably get more recognition as far as air time on TV goes. If for no reason other than that they will be playing teams like FSU more often, the Eagles will be all over the place now.

2. Cherijo

Cherijo Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2005
    Wow, I have been away from the boards for awhile... (Summer got in the way, and school has just recently started for me...) Even though I go to BU, and BC is a BIG rival, I am so happy to have football games to go to, on our side of the river;), since our dear team was disbanded in 1997. I grew up in the South, so the FSU game is gonna be fab... Hope everyone is doing well!

3. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    The rivalry between BC and BU really only exists now in ice hockey, where both schools are perennial Hockey East powers and usually play each other for the coveted Beanpot every February. You mentioned the disbanding of BU's football program, and BU is in the America East Conference in the other sports, a low-major conference.

4. Cherijo

Cherijo Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2005
    Point being, the sports I grew up with are baseball and football. I have never been much of a college baseball fan, but I can't get enough of college football. So until the last couple of years, I was never a hockey fan. At any rate, there is still a rivalry b/t the schools, but it is only a friendly one as far as I have encountered;) I almost decided to go to BC... As for the football team, I believe it was Mr. John Silber's doing.

5. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Well, the 'Noles spoiled BC's ACC debut, winning the game the other night 28-17. BC actually had the lead into the fourth quarter, but just couldn't find a way to stop Florida State's four-wide set. There was also an interference call on a fumbled punt by Florida St. that BC fans were squacking about, and if the fumble was allowed to stand, it would've given BC the ball deep in Florida St. territory. The loss of quarterback Quinton Porter to an ankle injury was also big.

The Eagles drop out of the AP top 25 and are #25 in this week's coaches' poll. They travel to Clemson this weekend.

6. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    The fourth annual World Championship of Online Poker was recently held on PokerStars. The main event was a $2,500 buy-in No Limit Texas Hold 'Em tournament, and a user known as "aaaaaaaa" from Saugus finished 5th in the event, which was won by "Panella86" from Eddystone, PA. Other Massachusetts cashers in the event were from Hanover, Norfolk, Chelmsford, W. Yarmouth, and Chestnut Hill. According to the final table blog, "Buster Love", the first bust-out at the final table, was none other than Mark Seif, a double bracelet winner at this year's World Series of Poker. Rumors also circulated about the identity of 4th place finisher "PICKLED EGG" (since he lives in Las Vegas and announced he was in Atlantic City, where the World Poker Tour was holding an event at the Borgata), and poker pro Tony G., AKA "wraptduck", busted out just off the final table in 10th place.

Overall, the 15-event tournament generated over $12.7M in prize money, rivaled only by the largest live tournaments, such as the World Series of Poker, and events on the World Poker Tour.

7. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Boston College may have made a few mistakes against Clemson (11 penalties and 2 interceptions thrown by Matt Ryan), but the defense held for the most part and the running game, anchored by a 122 yd. day from Andre Callender, allowed the Eagles to control the clock enough to force a 10-10 tie after regulation, and they won it 16-13 in OT on a 1 yard plunge by Brian Toal (a linebacker who the Eagles use a lot like the Patriots use Mike Vrabel). This was BC's first conference win as a member of the ACC.

BC hosts Ball St. from the Mid-American Conference this Saturday.

8. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I heard that BC climbed back up in the polls after their win this past weekend into the #21 spot. Seems like they've been playing really well. It's great to see a team like BC who hasn't been that big outside of their own conference in recent years get this kind of recognition now. Something that should only continue to get better thanks to their relocation to the ACC.

9. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Alrighty, I'm functioning on less than 5 hours of sleep but I figured I'd share with you all my night last night.

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary a month early last night by taking in the Paul McCartney concert over at the Garden. I have to say, It was easily one of the best moments of my life. (Wedding and children aside of course)

He played for a little more than 2 and a half hours and pretty much covered everything he's ever recorded, including pre-Beatle stuff he did back when he was a teenager. I was pleasantly surprised by our seat location. We were way up in the balcony to the right of the stage in what were billed as "obstructed view" seats. Well our view wasn't obstructed at all. We looked right down over the stage and didn't miss a single thing.

McCartney was one of those performers that I thought I'd never be lucky enough to see live. Thank the maker for my wife. She managed to snag these tickets online about 5 minutes after they went on sale and it was the best gift she's ever given me. (again children aside)

Alrighty, I need to go have a Grande Mocca Frappuccino (or 2) so I'll end my gushing there.

10. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    And he makes the glove save =D=!!! A true veteran, nice touch there ;).

I've wondered how he was in concert, having heard very few of his songs on the radio and not being a big enough of a fan to purchase (or even download [face_devil]) any of his music either.

11. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    And he makes the glove save applause !!! A true veteran, nice touch there

:D Thanks. And it only took me 7 years of marriage (and smacks in the back of the head) to learn how to make that save ;)

I grew up listening to the Beatles thanks to my mom and have been a big Beatles fan since high school. I've been waiting since the early 90's to see him in concert and it was definitely worth the wait.

Last night I was blown away by the fact that he's a guy in his mid-60's and he's still hitting the same noted he was 40 years ago. Another thing that I loved about his show was that unlike other concerts that I've been to where the performer(s) go from one song to the next, to the next McCartney handled it like an episode of VH1 Storytellers. He always had an interesting little nugget about each song that he shared with the audience.

The best was when he was trying to perform this little classical riff that he and George played when they were kids. He kept tripping over it again and again until he finally nailed it. Then he explained how that riff led to him writing "Blackbird" which he went right into.

Easily the best concert I've ever been to. Hands down.

12. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    BC is now 5-1 on the season and climbing in the polls after a 28-17 win @ the Heights against the Virginia Cavaliers, but the story of the Virginia game was the cheap shot Virginia offensive lineman Brad Butler put on BC All-American Mathias Kiwanuka in the third quarter, which led to the ejections of one of Kiwanuka's teammates for defending him and, later, Kiwanuka himself when he took a swing at Butler after some post-play jostling. BC coach Tom O'Brien told reporters during his weekly telephone press conference that he plans to send tape of the Butler incident to the ACC offices for possible disciplinary action against Butler.

13. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    ...the cheap shot Virginia offensive lineman Brad Butler put on BC All-American Mathias Kiwanuka

I knew it along. The Butler did it! :D

Thank you, I'll be here all week. Be sure to try the veal. :D

14. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    HI-OH!!!!! Very good Johnny... very good!

15. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Granted, soccer is considered a lower form of sports life in much of the US. However, it should be worth mentioning that the New England Revolution had a great season in Major League Soccer, the professional league in this country, and defeated the Chicago Fire 1-0 @ Gillette Stadium today to win the Eastern Conference title and earn the right to play in MLS Cup 2005 a week from today. They will face the LA Galaxy @ Pizza Hut Park outside of Dallas, TX. The match will be televised on ABC @ 3:30 PM ET.

Good luck to the Revs. :D

16. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    This has got to be one of, if not the worst, beatings ever dealt out in high school sports EVER!!! I think that if my team was down 73-2 at the half I'd ask the ref's to enact the mercy rule and just go home :_|.

17. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Hey guys. I meant to post these a few weeks ago when I finished them, but due to the Halloween rush, I forgot all about them. These are a couple of murals I did for my son's room. I plan on using these and a couple of others that I have done in a portfolio to help me get started doing murals on the side. Let me know what you think.

[image=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/DarthWormie/Murals/r2_3pomural.jpg]
    [image=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/DarthWormie/Murals/thomas_mural.jpg]

18. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    There was something like a 5-2 high school basketball game in Vermont not too long ago. I wonder if they've put the shot clock in the rules since then. [face_laugh]

19. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Nice job on the murals! I never caught the Droids cartoon back when but is that the same design you used there or was that more of your own freehand work?

20. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    No, I actually took the style from a series of pins that I saw back at C3. They had a whole line of Anime-styled pins of all the main SW characters. I took the kid-friendliest of them (R2/3PO, Yoda, Chewie & Vader) and let my son 'pick' which one he liked best.

Of course, by the time I finished the Thomas one, he had moved on from his Thomas obsession and is now hooked on Toy Story. I just need to find a bare spot somewhere in his room to do a Buzz & Woody one :)

21. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    With the Boston College football team playing out the string trying to improve their status in the bowl picture after back-to-back losses to Virginia Tech and North Carolina, BC sports fans now start to turn their attention to hockey and basketball. I haven't been up on the hockey team, but am anxiously awaiting the start of men's basketball. To wit, forward Craig Smith was recently named to the AP preseason All-America Team, the first BC basketball player to be so honored. The Eagles open up the season on November 18 @ Conte Forum vs. Dartmouth.

22. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Your murals look awesome DW, great job! :D

My randomness for the day...I hate websites that say they have something in stock but don't. Making that mistake once or twice whatever, but this website I've been trying to order from has reposted this stuff as in stock THREE times when they actually have really never had it. ARGH! The frustration I endure to indulge my lip gloss obsession.

On that note, if anyone wants to help me track down the lip glosses I'm looking for, check out my latest LiveJournal entry (link in sig). :)

23. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Uhm...no LiveJournal link in your sig at this time, Rosie. [face_plain]

BTW, I liked the murals too, DW. :D

24. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Huh, that's sad, I don't even know what's in my own signature anymore! Oh well, I added it again (I have no idea why I ever removed it!). :)

25. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    For those with alot of free time on their hands, there's a link over on the tf.n homepage mentioning that the MOS is looking for volunteers to work the SW exhibit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.