main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Randy Johnson possibly coming back to Arizona!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Armenian_Jedi, Dec 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
  2. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    From the article, it sounds like he's waiting for the Yankees to say something before he does anything. According to the article about this on yankees.com, it sounds like it's possible he'll report to Spring-training come February.

Report: Yanks discuss dealing Johnson

It seems he has one more year on his contract with the Yankees. If nothing goes down before spring training starts, then he's staying in New York as he is owed $16 mil for next year. Right now, I would consider this all speculation unless the Yankees say something. Talks are in early stages apparently.

3. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    it's not speculation... Arizona's offered a trade proposal.

"In the past week the Arizona Diamondbacks have offered a package of players to the New York Yankees in exchange for Randy Johnson, a baseball official said."

the trade's already on the table... it's not speculation.

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    A great player, future Hall of Famer... but is he going to be worth what it takes to get him? Doubtful.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    That would depend on how you measure worth. In wins and losses? Probably not worth it. In ERA? Probably not worth it. In getting fans to buy tickets and merchandise? More than worth it.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    But how much long term tickets/merchandise potential do you end up losing to get more ticket/merchandise sales for one year? Maybe not quite as much monetarily, but combined with the on field losses, probably overall not worth it.

7. JOHNNY-B

JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2003
    That's a bad move for them...Considering he's in the twilight of his career, and is no longer the pitcher that he once was. He's just the shell of his former self. An average pitcher at best. Coming back to the national league might help his #'s out some what, but I can't see it making that big diffrence. I don't know the full scope on this deal, but I know I wouldn't pay alot of money for someone who is at best going to put up sub-par #'s. There better of building there team around there young talented farm system -- I've heard they have a few future stars in the making... In Steven Drew and Justin Upton...

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Isn't Randy Johnson a great fit to bring in if you have a couple of young stars in the making? Who better to learn from than a guy who was highly touted as a youngster, learned how to control it, and then became a World Series (co-)MVP?

I still think if the Yanks are willing, you make the trade if you're the Diamondbacks. Excite the fanbase, bring back a legend, and become competitive

9. JOHNNY-B

JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2003
    Randy Johnson is a big question mark. If I'm not mistaken he has a blow back, and missed few games last year becuase of his durability. Are you really willing to give up some of your top prospects for someone who is iffy at best? I mean how competitive can you be if he's on the DL? There is to many question marks surrounding his health and durability. His age is catching up to him...he's at best good for one more season...two pushing it. The way I see: It's a high risk, high reward. If he comes back healthy, he'll put up respectable #'s; and help the young guys out alot... But if he doesn't, and his health becomes and issue...your in big trouble.

10. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Randy Johnson is not the Randy Johnson he was when Arizona won the world series. His time is coming to a close.

11. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    He's 43 and has a bad back.

...yeah good luck with that.

12. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Fixed.

(I just had to make that point more emphatic :p).

Anyone who takes Johnson without having the Yankees pay almost all the salary and taking an A-level pitcher is a moron who deserves to be fired.

13. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    You know, in a poll asking whether or not the D'backs should trade for Randy Johnson, when the state that votes "yes" by the largest percentile margin is New York, that clearly, the Yankees are going to get far more than his worth :p

14. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002
    You can have him all you want in Arizona. I saw him pitch twice last season in person, horrible pitching. He's no longer the powerhouse that he once was. You can have him with my blessing.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Tentative Deal Agreed To

Looks like it will become a reality. I still like the move for Arizona, if only from a PR standpoint.

16. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    I was really hoping the Yanks would stick with him, paying him that huge salary as he continued to decline, wasting more and more money and yet again fail to win the Series. That brought me amusement. :p

17. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    They're giving up a decent prospect and some other guys yet are getting the Yankees to only contribute $2 million. Arizona got hosed.

18. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Agreed. Bad move for Arizona.

19. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, if the Yanks were playing more of his salary (say at least half), it would have been ok. But with Arizona paying $14 million out of the $16 million, the Yankees clearly got the better of the deal.

20. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    They did, but they got Randy Johnson. He's a reminder of the team that was only a few years ago. Plus, I think the Yankees and the Diamondbacks are taking this to a personal level. :p

21. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    The Yankees tossed Randy away because we picked him up to win games in the post-season he did not do so. So they traded him to Arizona because they knew they would want him.

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

22. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Like the Yankees are going to suck any less because he's gone.

23. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    How 'bout them Rangers?

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

24. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Johnson signs a 2 year, $26 million extension with the D-backs... another brilliant move, take a 43 year old pitcher whos coming off back surgery and has been showing his age very noticeably (unlike, say, Roger Clemens), and give him an extension.

This story keeps getting better.

25. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    I mean, I understand bringing back the guy who was the face of the team for so long as a way to put butts in seats and generate interest, but two years? With his detoriation the last year or so? Bad, bad, bad, bad move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.