main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rank The Indiana Jones Saga

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Doom Trooper, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    1 Last Crusade, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    2 Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom

2. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014

I often feel alone in thinking all are great.

3. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    Mine would go:

1. Raiders
    2. Crusade
    3. Temple
    4. Skull

All are great, even KOTCS, but it definitely is the weakest in my opinion.

Raiders and Crusade are perfect in my eyes. The only reason Crusade is second is they make Marcus sort of look like a fool. Temple is extremely underrated in my opinion. It is the most unique out of all the Indy films and is quite dark. For me, the darker, the better (Why TESB is my favorite Star Wars film). The only thing is that Willie can sometimes be grating. I already talked about Skull in another thread.

Thoix Heoro likes this.
  4. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    That always grates with me too, they made him in to a comedy buffoon.

Thoix Heoro likes this.
  5. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    I love TOD's darkness, too. The dark, creepy and foreboding feeling of it all. It's a huge part of why it's my favorite of the series.

Messi likes this.
  6. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    I love all of them[:D] .I like that you see that every film is tied with the other but has different styles and tones .
    I don't mind Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom being dark (as in tone not cinematography ;)).
    I don't mind Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade being more funny and action-oriented.
    I don't mind Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull being inspired by the 50's.
    And I like the exploring with the caricature-full Young Indiana Jones Episodes.

I admire Indiana Jones The Complete Adventures and the Expanded Adventures.

7. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    You guys definitely aren't alone. I love them all equally. I need to watch them all again sometime soon.

Also, I'm a pretty big fan of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. Wish it had a blu-ray release.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  8. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    1. Raiders
    2. Last Crusade
    3. Temple of Doom
    4. Crystal Skull

9. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    1. Raiders
    2. TOD
    3. LC
    4. Skull

10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    2. Last Crusade
    3. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    4. Temple of Doom

Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of my absolute favorite films, and Last Crusade is a great deal of fun. I actually don't think KotCS is that bad; on the contrary, I quite enjoy it, although I don't like Mutt and I think they could have handled the aliens a bit better. Temple of Doom, however, I've never been a huge fan of, although I do think the opening sequence at Club Obi Wan is pretty fun.

11. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014

I really need to re-visit this show someday, I remember seeing a few episodes back then but my memory is super-vague.

12. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Its fun at the start, but really gets good when Indy becomes a teenager.

13. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    It's dark at times, but funny as hell as well. It takes itself less seriously than the other films, I think,and it feels more like a comic-book adventure, more fantastical and supernatural (while in the other three movies, the supernatural element is saved till the end of the film, and the story and its villains feel more "real").

I never rank the films, nor do I force myself to choose favourites (because my opinion tends to change after I watch each film), but often I think Temple of Doom might be my absolute favourite.

Sith Lord 2015 and Saga Explorer like this.
  14. Saga Explorer

Mar 14, 2015
    And the tagline :" If adventure has a name ,it must be Indiana Jones " also sounds like a superhero movie tagline but I love it :) .
    Besides it is the only time when the Indiana Jones title at the beginning is colored with its standard colors.
    Additionally this time Indiana's main objective is to rescue the children instead of finding the artifact.

Sith Lord 2015 and DarthBane93 like this.
  15. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    I love the extravagant Indiana Jones title!! It's the only movie that features it, and it really tells you that this is going to be just fun.

Also, structurally is totally different to the others: it isn't an episodic movie (with different segments happening in different locations, divided by the traditional map, each segment having its own climax). It begins and never stops. It takes it longer to build the tension (the fist part is really funny and "slow-ish"), the middle tense and dark section is longer (and totally set in a subterranean setting) and the final section is just full of over-the-top action that never stops. It's a movie that doesn't let you breath. Love it.

16. Saga Explorer

Mar 14, 2015
    It also features the most evil villain in the series:Mola Ram.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  17. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014

Very well-said. I too also like the different title card and wished we'd seen it again in the subsequent films.

Sith Lord 2015 and DarthSheev like this.
  18. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    I also like how the title is obscured by Willie's body. It really was a unique type of main title sequence in general. The thrills start almost instantly and don't let up at all except for brief scenes scattered throughout. Temple of Doom really took Indy into pure darkness, and that is why it was engaging. The adventure was localized, but in many ways put Indy against his most dangerous adversaries. There was a just an overarching sense of dread throughout the film, especially when they are discovered by the shaman. The scene in Mayapore village was eerie, and really drove home the idea that these people are very closely aligned with their faith. The part where the shaman is describing the "evil" was very well done. Spielberg really is a master of direction, and it shows in a lot of scenes in probably his most underrated movie.

19. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    And both the opening and ending credits are in red! Another unique aspect to the film.

20. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014

Great summary. TOD has a real feeling of danger and menace to it the other three don't have although Raiders comes very close.

21. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    1. The Temple of Doom
    2. The Last Crusade
    3. Raiders of the Lost Ark

22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, The Last Crusade had this guy:

[​IMG]

DarthSheev and Saga Explorer like this.
  23. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I know the Nazis considered Jones a villain, but that's a little harsh, isn't it? :p

Besides, what's Admiral Ozzel doing on Earth? Didn't Vader say he had failed him for the last time? :p

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  24. Saga Explorer

Mar 14, 2015
    The most evil main villain of a movie in the series and a fictional character .
    :p

25. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Heh, Admiral Kendoll Ozzel dressed as Der Fuhrer.

Raiders is the best, followed by Last Crusade and Temple of Doom. I really enjoyed Temple of Doom, never understood why some disliked it.

Sith Lord 2015 and DarthSheev like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.