main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rank The Indiana Jones Saga

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Doom Trooper, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    Thanks for the list. Quite extensive. I work at a bookstore and we actually have Army Of The Dead, it sounds quite intriging from the plot summary, which seems to combine aspects of ROTLA and TOD.

2. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Spinning off of the Indy novels: anybody else here a fan of those fake Indy IV scripts that were going around the Internet for years before the movie came out? Theraider.net has most of them if anyone's interested, along with other good fanfic. "Quest for Peace" was my favorite of the fake Indy IVs, despite the Supermanesque title. It got the character voices for Indy and Henry and the banter between the two of them exactly right and made me laugh out loud a few times, something a lot of writers have trouble with.

3. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    Also, what about comics? Anyone got recommendations there?

I've only read the first omnibus that came out in 2008, and flipped through the second one. The first had a pretty good story on Atlantis, an even better one about searching for a Testament of Buddha, and a third one in South America that didn't really hold my attention. The second omnibus, I've been meaning to get for ages because it's got one story set in Ireland at the end of World War Two that looked really promising - again, mostly for great use of Henry Jones, Sr.

Edited to add: oh, and one more recent comic involving a Viking artifact. It wasn't extraordinary, but ends with Indy gloriously trolling both Belloq and the local Nazi contingent.

4. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I didn't finish army of the dead as I thought it was that bad. Great idea, but it just didn't convince me on the pages, especially the high priest villain and his abilities.

5. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    The Last Crusade
    Temple Of Doom
    Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

Here's my ranking. The original will always be a classic. I really enjoyed Last Crusade; primarily because of the chemistry between Sean Connery and Harrison Ford. The other two were fine, but were kinda offbeat without the serious tones that I appreciated in ROTLA and LC.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Too bad about Army Of The Dead not being so good, the premise made it sound interesting.

7. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
  8. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Nice to see Indy at number one and also to see Han Solo there, too.

9. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014

Haven't read too many Indy comics but have been meaning to track down some of the trade paperbacks that collect them.

10. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    I'm kicking myself for getting rid of the Indy marvel comics that were on sale in the 80's. Am I right in thinking that Indy stories continued on in to the Return of the Jedi Marvel run of comics in the mid - late 80's?

11. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    For me, the best is easily The Last Crusade but I don't really know about ranking the rest. I guess Raiders at 2 but it's a really tough decision between Temple of Doom and KOTCS for me. I actually liked that movie.

12. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014

Not sure, I never read Marvel's Indy run of comics.

13. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014

Never got around to reading those and also avoided reading any leading up to the release of the fourth to avoid possible spoilers. What was the one Frank Darabont wote, City Of The Gods or something along those lines? That one seemed to get a lot of praise.

14. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014

I as well, then again I'm a fan of all of them. I find time has been very kind to the fourth one.

15. Defensor

Defensor Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 23, 2015
    1. The Last Crusade
    2. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    3. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    4. Temple of Doom

I really like the series, although I think Temple of Doom takes itself too seriously for its own good.

16. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I think Indy only lasted 34 issues or so at Marvel. I wanna say both his and Star Wars series ended around '86. Star Wars got a big "final" issue before the franchise lay dormant for several years. I always wondered what would've happened had they been allowed to continue.

Indy wasn't as lucky. His book was cancelled unceremoniously and without warning. They later did a mini series adapting Last Crusade, but his Marvel adventures ended long before.

17. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014

That's a pretty unique ranking. I notice more and more rate KOTCS higher and seeing it rated the second best while not common is becoming moreso.

18. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I really should do a weekend binge watch of the 4 movies.
    I am really a fan of Temple of Doom. Perhaps it's a matter of right age, right time.

19. Defensor

Defensor Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 23, 2015

I love Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I think Indy works best when he`s got other strong characters to interact with, and KOTCS certainly provided tons of those. Not enough to surpass TLC`s perfection, of course, but enough to surpass the other two.

20. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    He had quite the supporting cast in KOTCS for sure as well as in TLC. While I prefer him as more of a rogue adventurer and explorer as he was in the first two I also enjoyed his expanded posse if you will in the latter two films

Okay, posse may not quite be the right word to use but I love using it :p

21. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Want to guess which movie character Empire Magazine recently rated as the best of all-time? ;)

22. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    With Raiders turning 35 next year I wonder if something will be done for the occasion? I have a hard time believing the studio won't do something next year to mark the occasion of a landmark film like it. Maybe a theatrical re-release?

23. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I've been rewatching the series and indeed it's a mixed bag. It has some good episodes, but also real clumsy and stupid ones.

Sarge likes this.
  24. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    That was actually an early draft of what became Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull. I was just meh about it, but here's the link if you're interested - http://www.theraider.net/films/indy4/multimedia/cityofthegods.pdf

25. SalaciousAckbar

SalaciousAckbar Jedi Knight

Aug 7, 2015
    Temple of Doom
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    Last Crusade

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.