main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rank The Indiana Jones Saga

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Doom Trooper, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Temple of Doom
    The Last Crusade
    Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

darthtimetraveller likes this.
  2. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014

We're among the very few who rate the series this way.

Sith Lord 2015 and Zikri like this.
  3. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014

Thanks, I'll give it a look. Seems the movie went through tons of different versions over the years.

4. Zikri

Zikri Jedi Master star 2

Nov 21, 2012
    I think I'd probably rate it this way too. Temple of Doom is the best by far imo.

Sith Lord 2015 and WriterMan like this.
  5. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Seems the films rated that way is becoming more common :D

6. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I don't really like to rate films (I like all of them),but if I had to, I'd probably agree with this too. Temple of Doom is a personal favorite of mine, and I did like Crystall Skull a lot (although it has its problems towards the end), and even though Last Crusade used to be my favourite, now I think it's less "special" and unique than the others.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  7. Zikri

Zikri Jedi Master star 2

Nov 21, 2012
    I never liked Last Crusade as much as the others because, while it has some great character development and moments, it always to me felt like a bit of a retread of Raiders because of all the nazis again.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  8. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    It's the only one that feels retread-y to me whereas the other three feel fresh.

9. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    It may have been mentioned earlier on but I've seen some rate the Fate Of Atlantis game in with the films. I never played it but I've seen some fans consider it part of the film canon.

10. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    If we get an Indy reboot within the next few years it'll be interesting to see where fans rank it among the original four. I can see many disliking it if we get a new Indy actor but who knows how it might turn out.

11. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    1. Raiders -- A brilliant, flawless film shot with verisimilitude, intensity and style.
    2. Crusade -- A flawed and underwhelming companion-piece to the original.
    3. Crystal Skull -- A fun if occasionally over-the-top and unrealistic adventure movie.
    4. Temple -- An exaggerated, absurd cartoon.

12. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    For me:

The Last Crusade - great story, great locations, great score, great everything!
    Raiders of the Lost Ark - Classic. Again great elements, and a perfectly crafted story. Why not my favorite? Don't know. Really.
    Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Some technical issues, weak score, but fight scenes and locations live up to the series. I love aliens, too so...there's that.
    Temple of Doom - Decent story and all, but I just can't get past Willie's constant screaming/whining. Also this one has the poorest effects. The musical number opening isn't my cup of tea either...

It's interesting to see how so many people have such different favorites on here! All over the board! It's nothing like the SW rankings, which much of them are generally similar....

13. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Damn I never expected the hate for the Last Crusade. I love that movie. I think Marcus is used as good comic relief (and finally gives him more to do than just talk to Indy at the college). Sallah returns. Nazis are back. Donovan is a great villain - the sociopathic, wealthy businessman who cares only for himself (hmmmmm we see a lot of this nowadays). And most important, Sean Connery as Dad is fantastic. He and Ford have such chemistry. Yeah, it has some flaws (like all of them except Raiders).

1. Raiders (perfect film…f#@k you Amy Farah Fowler)
    2. Last Crusade (see above)
    3. Temple of Doom (dark and violent…goes too far in that realm but gotta love the action and Mola Ram…and Short Round. Willie on the other hand….)
    4. Crystal Skull (weakest of the four but still enjoyable…that jungle scene is horrific though).

Obi-John Kenobi, Sarge and PCCViking like this.
  14. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Yeah, Last Crusade was my favorite Indiana Jones film. It may be, in a sense, a copy of Raiders of the Lost Ark, but it's a fun, rip roaring adventure. I particularly like the contrast between Vogel and Dr. Schneider regarding German and Austrian good-byes. [face_laugh]

15. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I've heard this criticism before, but I never understood it - it's like saying that the Soviets pop up in too many James Bond movies. Well... yeah. Given the times these kinds of movies are set in and the fact that they're acutely aware of the real world battle lines of these times, what do you expect?

The other thing being that it's really hard to top "Nazis" when you're looking for real world villains, especially if your movie is set in the era of their rise to power. They had to turn the Thuggee into some kind of child-enslaving, human-sacrificing, zombie-brainwashing, 20th century version of the Yuuzhan Vong just to buff them up to the point where they'd make as scary a villain as the Third Reich.

16. Alpha Sloth

Alpha Sloth Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2015
    1. Temple of Doom
    2. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    3. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    4. The Last Cusade

17. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    1. The Last Crusade

2. Raiders Of The Lost Ark

3. Temple Of Doom

4. Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

Fruit Pastilles and Sarge like this.
  18. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Last Crusade
    Temple of Doom/Crystal Skull

I didn't dislike Skull as much as many fans.... But it had Karen Allen backand that was a big plus for me.

19. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    2. Last Crusade
    3. Temple of Doom
    4. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    I just got finished watching all four films over the passed two days and enjoyed each and every one of them. They're all good films as far as I'm concerned.

20. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    *EDITED because I accidentally listed ToD over KotCS. I prefer Indy 4 over Indy 2, even though I enjoy just about equally.

21. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of the best films of all time imo, awesome flick and easily the best of the series. Temple and Crusade are ok movies. Crystal Skull is garbage. I'd like to see Indy 5 though because i want to see Ford do right by the role one last time.

22. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    1. The Last Crusade

2. Raiders of the Lost Ark

3. The Temple of Doom

4. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Sarge likes this.
  23. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    High expectation = bad movie

That's what happened to The Phantom Menace, and that's the fate of The Force Awakens.

24. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    And how do you know that will happen to TFA?

25. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Because there's a high expectation arround it. Fans want the best, but the movie won't deliver it everything they dream.

darthtimetraveller likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.