main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rank the Last Jedi among the SW films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dolphin, Dec 18, 2017.

?

Rank the Last Jedi among the nine SW films?

1. Best of all SW films!

45 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. 2nd best

43 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. 3rd

95 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. 4th

51 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. 5th

49 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. 6th

53 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. 7th

50 vote(s)
    7.5%
  8. 8th

47 vote(s)
    7.1%
  9. Last!

233 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. The Last Jedi
    3. A New Hope
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Rogue One
    6 Revenge of the Sith
    7. The Phantom Menace
    8. Attack of the Clones

Empire will always have a place in my heart and will be difficult to move out of the top spot, but the darkness of TLJ comes a close second. A New Hope remains in the top five followed right behind TFA which rekindled my love of the saga and the stunning work of Rogue One. The PT didn't do much for me, but Revenge of the Sith was the best of those three.

Ody_Mandrell likes this.
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Something seems to be missing... :p

3. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001

whoops...I originally forgot The Force Awakens, and in the process of cut and paste got rid of Return of the Jedi. DARN IT!

1. TLJ
    2. ANH
    3. TFA
    5. ROTJ
    6. R1
    7. ROTS
    8. TPM
    9. AOTC

chris hayes likes this.
  4. Lost_Hope

Lost_Hope Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 15, 2018
    1. ESB
    2. ROTS
    3. TLJ
    4. ANH
    5. TFA
    6. TPM
    7. ROTJ
    8. AOTC
    9. RO (it's nice movie, just has nothing to do with my SW)

5. cappoe

cappoe Jedi Master star 3

Jan 12, 2018
    1. ESB
    2. ROTJ
    3. ANH
    4. TFA
    5. ROTS
    6. TPM
    7. AOTC
    8. TLJ

6. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    For me...

1. 2. 3. ANH, ESB and ROTJ are sort of tied for best. they 'float' in the highest tier, and move about depending on mood.

4. Rogue one. I can simply insert it into the classic EU's 'steal the Death Star plans!' era. I mean, there were about a dozen of them going on at once. :p

5. Phantom Menace. Honestly... I think it gets a bad rap. The Jake Lloyd version of Anakin is pretty good. And for the PT, he's the only one where it feels like a genuine tragedy where he Falls.

6. Force Awakens. I saw it in a Jordan's Furniture/movie theater thing down in Massachusetts. I dunno, either. ;) But yeah.

7. Revenge of the Sith. Just... eh?

8. 9. Attack of the Clones and Last Jedi are tied for dead kriffin' last for me. To sum it up, Attack of the Clones was one of the few times I was actively angry when I left the theater. With the Last Jedi, when Luke tossed his father's lightsaber over his shoulder like a bad parody... well, go to the Sanctuary for my 'true feelings'. But overall? I hate the film.

7. Starkiller17

Starkiller17 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2010
    After some deep thought, here are my new and improved rankings:

1. ESB
    2. TLJ
    3. TFA
    4. ROTJ
    5. ANH
    6. RO
    7. TPM
    8. ROTS
    9. AOTC

That's where I'm at right now. Honestly though, the top 6 are all pretty much equal in my books.

Lost_Hope likes this.
  8. Pete Ren

Pete Ren Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2017
    Last and by some margin too.

The PT isn't good, but at least all three films tried to tell a story, rather than try and start the story again, from film 2.

9. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    For what it's worth - Rotten Tomatoes rankings based on their 100 best si-fi film of all time :

1. TFA
    2. TLJ
    3. ANH
    4. TESB
    5. RO
    6. ROTS
    7. ROTJ

8. AOTC
    9. TPM

AOTC & TPM didn't chart in the top 100 but AOTC still has a fresh rating where TPM went Rotten upon the 3D re-release......

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  10. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    TLJ's position is extremely misleading though. It may be 90% 'fresh' but only 48% audience ratings. In comparison, TFA is 93% Fresh with 88% audience rating, so it does deserve to be up there at the top... Having said that, is there anyone over the age of 18 who would place TFA as the top SW movie?? Anyway my current ranking is -

1. ESB
    2. ANH
    3. ROTJ
    4. TFA
    5. TPM
    6. RO
    7. ROTS
    8. AOTC
    9. TLJ

I soooo wanted to put TLJ above AOTC but then I started to think clearly about AOTC...it has Christopher Lee in it!!! Also I actually love the speeder chase through Coruscant, as well as Obi-Wan's mission. The only thing I really like about TLJ is the Luke/Leia scene, and that was done better in the BTS footage. I stick by TFA being so high as I feel it got the balance right, and I give props to Abrams for pulling together such an achievement. Yep, I'm standing by this list. :)

-LordSkywalker- and Shadao like this.
  11. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Going by IMDB audiences to build tiers it’s:

Tier 1: 8.0 and up
    TESB, ANH, ROTJ, TFA

Tier 2: 7.0-7.9
    RO, ROTS, TLJ

Tier 3: 6.9 or less
    TPM, AOTC, TCW

12. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    This is my ranking after spending the past week watching scenes from The Last Jedi during quiet moments (I haven't had time to sit down with the full thing). I didn't include Rogue One because even though I really do like it, it just doesn't feel right to compare it to the Saga films.

1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. The Last Jedi
    3. A New Hope
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. Revenge of the Sith
    7. Attack of the Clones
    8. The Phantom Menace

Ody_Mandrell and Starkiller17 like this.
  13. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    There is. :)

Pliolite likes this.
  14. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I'd still go with:

1) ESB
    2) TLJ
    3) ANH
    4) TFA
    5) R1
    6) ROTJ
    7) TPM
    8) ROTS
    9) AOTC

Whether that changes or not once I get the Blu, I don't know.

Kalmanta likes this.
  15. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    Good post - a fair reflection for the wider audience ,

Tier 1 = OT & a Sequel that closely mirrors the feel of the OT

Tier 2 = Mid range Star Wars movies very worthy but a few flaws

Tier 3 = The PT movies that a bottom of most peoples piles

16. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    1) TESB
    2) ANH
    3) ROTJ
    4) ROTS
    5) TFA
    6) TPM
    7) RO
    8) AOTC
    9) TLJ

17. K-2SOS

K-2SOS Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 12, 2016
    Tier One (loved every minute): TFA, R1, ESB, ANH

Tier Two (have some issues): ROTJ, TLJ, ROTS

Tier Three (have some more issues): TPM, AOTC

That said: I like & watch all the SW movies & am looking forward to having TLJ on digital (April 13th here..), so i can start my next marathon!

Ender_and_Bean likes this.
  18. HighWiredSith

HighWiredSith Jedi Master star 2

Nov 25, 2001
    After three viewings I rank it just above the unwatchable prequels. Such a love/hate thing with this film because there are parts of it I really love but there are parts of it I just can't get over. Considering all the hype leading up to the release, my disappointment walking out of the theater can't be overstated. Watching it with more realistic expectations a week later, I did come to enjoy some of it and feel that with some decent editing it could be greatly improved - mainly the excising of the entire Canto Bight sequence, just erase that entire subplot.

19. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    Riddle me this :

Transformers : The Last Knight Rotten Tomatoes 16% & audience score 45% - IMDB 5.2 - $605 mill ww

The Last Jedi : Rotten Tomatoes 90% & audience score 48% - IMDB 7.4 - $1.331 billion ww

so how can the RT audience score for TLJ be so out of whack from all other areas ? where Transformers all adds up......

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  20. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    I don't trust the ratings for TLJ.....at all. Disney were doing damage control on this movie before it even came out ('warning' fans it's not gonna go the way you think etc. they knew people would be going nuts over this movie), and this includes reviews and messing with figures, to make sure they didn't have a crisis on their hands. They got people to see the movie before the truth came out, using their 'influence'.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  21. Starkiller17

Starkiller17 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2010
    What's the "truth" you speak of? That TLJ was garbage? Because critics and a majority of fans would disagree with that.

22. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Utilizing IMDB, The actual RT average audience score out of 5 (and not the % of like/dislike) and the Douban score for the market of China (3 of the largest samples of data available) and weighting for the larger samples here are the last 6 SW films ranked by the masses (in some cases with millions of votes from around the world factored in.

NOTE: The idea that ROTS had 33 million RT reviews seems hard to believe. Seems like a glitch but it's what they're showing there on RT. It's way higher than all others. Something to be aware of as it obviously throws the ROTS score down massively as a result of the RT score average there of 3.1/5 being lower than both IMDB and Douban.

TFA: 8.0/10 (223,000 4.3/5 RT% score is lowered by 731,000 8.0/10 IMDB score and 143,000 7.1/10 Douban score)

RO: 7.9/10 (Big boost from 98,000 RT reviews and very strong 4.2/5 score there)

TLJ: 6.9/10 (198,000 3/5 RT score there hurts it)

AOTC: 6.6/10 (Extremely large 800,000+ RT audience reviews of 3.3/5 and nearly identical 534,000+ 6.6 out of IMDB scores). Note: This was very close to tipping to 6.7. Just didn't round up enough.

TPM: 6.6/10 (Gigantic 1.2 million RT% average score of 3.3/5 hurts it. China surprisingly seemed to love it though!)

ROTS: 6.2/10 (33 million audience reviews of 3.1 out of 5 skews ROTS massively here. How is it even possible that there's that many reviews of ROTS on RT?! One of the largest audience sample sizes I've ever seen. Drops it from where it is in both IMDB and Douban as a result. Seems like it should be higher. I think it's very clearly the best of the prequels and that it belongs among the middle tier of SW films, personally.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  23. g-blatt

g-blatt Jedi Master star 2

Aug 5, 2002
    I know that it's an unpopular opinion, but I think that TLJ was a bold, introspective film that fleshed out the old characters in interesting and relateable ways and ends up being a beautiful, heroic redemption story. I wanted a little more from some of the new characters, particularly Poe, and not all the humor lands, but most of the shakeups work for me.
    1:ESB
    2:ANH
    3:TLJ
    4:TFA
    5:ROTJ
    6:TMP
    7:ROTS
    8:ATOC
    9:RO

Kalmanta and Starkiller17 like this.
  24. Kalmanta

Kalmanta Jedi Padawan

Jul 22, 2017
    Your opinion isn‘t unpopular, at all. There are so many who place it in there top3/top2.

g-blatt likes this.
  25. sabo1990

sabo1990 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2015
    1:ESB
    2:RO
    3:ROTS
    4:TFA
    5:ANH
    6:TMP
    7:ATOC
    Trash :TLJ