main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rank the Last Jedi among the SW films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dolphin, Dec 18, 2017.

?

Rank the Last Jedi among the nine SW films?

1. Best of all SW films!

45 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. 2nd best

43 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. 3rd

95 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. 4th

51 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. 5th

49 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. 6th

53 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. 7th

50 vote(s)
    7.5%
  8. 8th

47 vote(s)
    7.1%
  9. Last!

233 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    After seeing TLJ two more times in cinema, putting my total number of viewings to 4, my current list is:

1. ANH
    2. ESB
    3. ROTJ
    4. ROTS
    5. RO
    6. TPM
    7. AOTC
    8. TFA
    9. TLJ

There are some moments and scenes in TLJ I really like (same in TFA), but there are also plenty of things and creative decisions I just don't like and strongly disagree with (same with TFA).

In the end, TLJ is a good movie overall IMO, but its not a very good SW movie. TLJ is a deconstruction of what SW is and of the entire hero myth, but that's not what SW is or should be in my opinion. SW for me is about creating myths and legends, not deconstructing them.

Thou the scene of Rey & Ben vs the Praetorian Guards is just badass.

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    This is what's interesting to me about the film: many the reasons it doesn't work for some are the same reasons it works so well for others. I hold the opposite opinion that the deconstruction shows just how strong the core myth really is, because I find the center still holds by the end of the film, but I can't necessarily say you're wrong with your viewpoint either, which was both fair and well-reasoned. You've earned yourself a like, friend. Also, nice ranking.

Doom_Buggy, Satipo, dolphin and 2 others like this.
  3. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I disagree with you very much—yet that was well reasoned and I see where you’re coming from. Wow! It’s amazing that TLJ is ranked last by 114 people.

‘Thou’? Now I have images of Ian McDiarmid doing SW Shakespeare.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  4. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Dolphin comes back to the forums after a long hiatus. Sees this thread on the first page.

"Oh that's interesting, this discussion is still alive and well. Thriving even. Let's see what the voting distribution is now. Hopefully everyone agrees with me that this was the best SW film since ROTJ"

Checks out the spread

"Oh dear"

5. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    1. TESB
    2. ANH
    3. TLJ
    4. ROTJ
    5. TFA
    6. RO
    7. AOTC
    8. TPM
    9. TCW
    10. ROTS

6. Ruufio

Ruufio Jedi Knight

Dec 7, 2016
    Dead last for me. Never thought I'd replace R1 at the bottom of my list. Last two Star Wars have ruined the franchise for me so far. JJ to the rescue!

7. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    One thing about TLJ is the novelization is excellent. Better than the film, imo. I'm still processing RJ's technological construction, especially now that the blu ray has been released. There are a lot of cool moves in the film and plenty of missteps.

I'm gonna read this thread from the beginning to get a flavor of the wide variety of opinions here.

I will say this. My love of TESB increases upon each viewing wheras with TFA...it's the opposite.

8. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    And yet here you are.

9. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    I doubt if I will ever watch the movie again. I put it below everything Star Wars, including the Holiday Special.

10. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    After watching The Last Jedi for the second time on blu ray I was not disappointed as half the fans were. I am in and among the crittcs and the other half of fans that loved the movie. 3rd place.

Although the first time when I saw it in theaters, I thought it was alittle weird.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  11. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    2nd place for me after TESB.
    I just felt the TLJ had many layers to it that I loved.

It pushed ROTS from #2 to #3.

Kalmanta likes this.
  12. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Solid 9th (ESB / RotJ / RO / ANH / RotS / TFA / TPM / AotC / TLJ).

It's okay to try for subversion, but it's awkward when you're systematically disqualifying all that happened before in the process and making too much of a point of pushing contemporary political issues - resulting in giving the movie a lifespan far shorter than the ones before.

I might revise depending on whether Ep. IX desituationalizes TLJ (essentially says the messages in it regarding answering the questions of TFA and addressing Jedi and Sith are wrong), but I'm not counting on that happening.

MS1, La Calavera, lavjoricso and 4 others like this.
  13. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I have it ranked as you see in my signature. But one thing I think would have made it higher for me if Finn went off to find Rey and Poe/Rose got paired. While Canto would have still been pointless, it would have been less frustrating with Finn actually go on the path he was on with Rey in TFA. I get it the whole RJ, break expectations, etc, but it didn't work for me with that. If we saw Rey and Finn's friendship struggle, like the kind of struggle that our characters went in with TESB, I would deff put this in my top three easily.

MagnarTheGreat likes this.
  14. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    Esb, tfa, tlj, rotj, anh, rots, r1, Tpm, aotc

15. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    This is getting too hard... I think I'll just do it in eras!

OT + RO
    ST
    PT

16. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    The Last Jedi JCF Poll Snapshot March 29, 2018 (412 votes)

Top 3: 30.9%
    Middle 3: 25.7%
    Bottom 3: 43.3% (plurality)

Top 4: 38.9%
    Middle 1: 8.0%
    Bottom 4: 53% (majority)

Largest shares
    9th place 28.5% (plurality)
    3rd place 15.6%
    6th place 9.7%

17. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    You realise that TLJ, doesn't disqualify everything that came before it, right? That's what the villain wants to do, and Luke when he's wrong.

Ody_Mandrell and miasma like this.
  18. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    If I'm who you were replying to, it goes beyond Kylo Ren's dismissals. Those begin ten minutes into the film, as one of our leads collects his reward for leading an action that just saved the Resistance fleet from obliteration, and we're slapped with how heroism and fighting against the odds are stupid.

This would be the extend to which I'll respond here, there are probably threads to discuss elsewhere.
    (Edited because I was in a hurry and not speaking English :p )

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  19. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    The point is not that fighting against the odds is always stupid, it's that it's not always worth the loss of life. It's about knowing the difference between throwing your life (and the lives of others) away in vain, and when sacrifice - Luke and Holdo - can make a difference. It's not saying every other reckless act of bravery in the previous films was bad or wrong. It's about putting forwards a fresh perspective on that - and the importance of not being blinded by hubris. You're allowed more than one message or perspective in a series of films.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    The Legions of Lettow and miasma like this.
  20. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Absolute dead last. In my opinion, it is a gargantuan black hole that continually sucks TFA further down my rankings list with it.

Glitterstimm, Pete Ren, Mange and 8 others like this.
  21. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Alright, one last reply ^^ It's not much of a point after the loss of life has already saved everybody else.

-LordSkywalker- and La Calavera like this.
  22. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    TESB
    ROTJ
    TFA OR TLJ (DECIDE AFTER NEXT VIEWING)
    ROTS
    AOTC
    ANH
    RO
    TPM

23. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    ANH
    ROTS
    TESB
    ROTJ
    TPM
    TFA
    AOTC
    TLJ

I like Rogue One but I'm inclined to only list the episodic films.

For me, A New Hope will always be number one. It's not just my favourite Star Wars movie, it's my favourite movie, period. While I appreciate that Empire is generally the most highly regarded, I love that ROTS feels like an epic myth being played out and there are so many moments that I love that I have to put it above TESB although I love that movie too. ROTJ and TPM are close for me. There are things in both of them that I love and things that I cringe at. I wish Anakin had been a bit older and I wish the Ewoks had been Wookiees but overall, I've always really enjoyed both movies. I enjoy TFA for what it is but it tried to be a new Episode IV when it really should have been a new Episode I, the first chapter of a new story rather than the second chapter of a story we never got to see the beginning of. It doesn't tie in logically to ROTJ and doesn't offer anything new. AOTC was always the weakest of the Star Wars films for me. Again, there are some really good moments that I enjoy but what always put it at the bottom of the list was one sequence - the droid factory. I disliked that sequence when I saw it and it hasn't aged well at all. I thought it would stay the weakest of the films until I saw TLJ, which was a real mess and did more to turn me off Star Wars than Jar Jar Binks ever could.

Glitterstimm, MS1, Mange and 3 others like this.
  24. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Can you give examples?

25. Ruufio

Ruufio Jedi Knight

Dec 7, 2016
    Err, yes! Am I not supposed to be here?

ChildOfWinds and -LordSkywalker- like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.