main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rank the Last Jedi among the SW films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dolphin, Dec 18, 2017.

?

Rank the Last Jedi among the nine SW films?

1. Best of all SW films!

45 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. 2nd best

43 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. 3rd

95 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. 4th

51 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. 5th

49 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. 6th

53 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. 7th

50 vote(s)
    7.5%
  8. 8th

47 vote(s)
    7.1%
  9. Last!

233 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    Me seeing people rank TLJ ahead of OT movies...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That's trolling. Don't do it again.

3. Kalmanta

Kalmanta Jedi Padawan

Jul 22, 2017
    Me seeing TLJ lower than #4 on the ranking
    [​IMG]

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Me seeing any further snarky comments regarding people's rankings:

[​IMG]

Are we clear?

heels1785 , Ridley Solo and Lost_Hope like this.
  5. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I can't decide on my top three, but it's in there. I don't think anything will ever topple ESB for me. I think it's a perfect film (minus the Vader/ Shuttle change of the SE). TLJ and ANH are fairly level.

6. LukeLives

LukeLives Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2018
    My scale on where TLJ stands with me (low right now) isn't set in stone. I have a love hate relationship with it. First, for me it was a very well made movie in every aspect, granted not flawless.....where TLJ will ultimately stand with me will be determined by the events in Eps9. Now, I had no head cannon going into it, and quite frankly I even made fun of those that whined and whined about Luke's death. BUT as time has gone by and the more I watch TLJ and ponder it.....im not thrilled with Luke's "seemingly" death. (Hence my screen name in hopes Luke isn't truly dead) I have no real care on Rey's parentage, but....if Luke isn't more than just a "Force Ghost" I.e.. i'm cool with him being akin to a Neo type ( Luke can be seen, touched and touch and intervene as an "alive person" amongst the living and yet still chill with his old man and yoda in the spiritual plan) but if he is merely a force ghost uugghhhh :( hope I explained that legibly.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  7. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I've been watching the OT despecialized versions and there's no way I can go back to watching the SE.

Alien Vanguard and Ody_Mandrell like this.
  8. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I'm mixed on the changes, but there are a few that really spoil what was totally working before.

Ubraniff Zalkaz likes this.
  9. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I have The Last Jedi ranked second right now, nestled right between The Empire Strikes Back and A New Hope.

And I opt for the original versions of the OT, too. I agree that some of the changes have a negative impact on the overall quality of the films, but the historical value of the films is really important to me as well, so I'd rather watch the original versions than see a bunch of tweaks, changes and additions made two decades after the fact. It drove me nuts trying to watch the CGI-modified versions of old Star Trek episodes for that same reason, so I'm grateful the originals versions are available on CBS.

10. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    My least favourite change - worse than Han / Greedo - is the replacement of "bring my shuttle" with that awful pace-sapping and needless sequence of Vader going to his destroyer. It also totally encapsulates the differences between George in his prime and latter day George when it comes to storytelling. Re TLJ - when it's good it's as good as Empire. It just has a couple of missteps for me that ESB doesn't have, and the ST has to handle its cast and storytelling in a way the OT is never burdened by. I'm really looking forward to RJ's trilogy (and the GoT trilogy if that's separate from OT events as well) simply because it will be free from all the baggage that the ST and the PT came with and that can make the reactions to the films tedious.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  11. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Seen it 4 times now. Managed to enjoy it(ish) the 3rd time. Fell asleep the 4th time.

Last for me

12. Feologild

Feologild Jedi Knight

Nov 9, 2016
    1. Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Star Wars: Episode VI – Return of the Jedi
    3. Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope
    4. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
    5. Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith
    6. Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens
    7. Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi
    8. Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace-
    9. Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones

13. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    ESB is too perfect to top. TLJ definitely has the most compelling moments and sequences than any SW movie since it though. If it weren't for Finn's kinda disastrous storyline it'd probably be my favorite.

It's absolutely a better movie than ROTJ, die mad about it lol

14. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Finn's story is far from a disaster for me (for me the missteps revolve around Poe and Hux), but I agree about everything else.

15. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I just watched the entire saga this past weekend while sick and after 5 months of thinking about TLJ, I think I'm ready to place it in some order. (dots represent lightyears in quality)

1: ESB (a gem)
    2: ANH (a gem. world building like no other movie)
    3: ROTJ (minor faults but heartfelt and epic)
    4: RO (a love letter to the OT, a perfect prologue)
    5: TFA (on its own; an entertaining fun adventure, although TLJ is seriously dragging it down now)
    6: TPM (bad acting, bad dialog, but fantastic world-building and only prequel to actually feel like a 'movie')
    7: ROTS (a really good video game cut scene with epic ending)
    8: TLJ (good acting, great effects, but poorly executed writing, story, characterization, motivations and pretty much everything else. anti-star wars message)
    9: AOTC (a really bad, horribly edited video game cut scene, boring, dreadful)

MS1, Rickleo123, ChildOfWinds and 4 others like this.
  16. HighWiredSith

HighWiredSith Jedi Master star 2

Nov 25, 2001
    The more I watch Rogue One, the more I'm convinced it is one of the best Star Wars films. The more I watch The Last Jedi, the more I'm convinced it's one of the worst. Funny how that works.

I walked out the theater massively disappointed at TLJ, almost angry over what Rian Johnson chose to do with Luke Skywalker. The glowing reviews, many declaring it to be as good if not better than Empire, didn't help either. But, having seen it four times now I'm convinced I don't want to watch it again. My only dilemma is whether I think TLJ should be ranked below the prequels or above them.

1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Rogue One
    3. A New Hope
    4. The Return of the Jedi
    5. The Force Awakens
    6-8. Prequels - I don't even try to rank the prequels, I loathe them that much. If I had to, I might say Phantom Menace is the best of them for the pod race and the Darth Maul duel.
    9. The Last Jedi - for what was done to the character of Luke Skywalker alone this movie deserves to be dead last.

Ren Kylo, MS1, D'an and 6 others like this.
  17. NHB0M

NHB0M Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2016
    1.ESB
    2.ANH
    3.ROTJ
    4.TFA (Fun movie, it was the beginning of new era and it was exciting with the return of characters)
    5.R1( I liked it, it was interesting and different)
    6.TLJ (Not as bad as people say but not as good as people say neither, imo)
    7ROTS
    8.TPM
    9.AOTC (This movie gets worse and worse by each rewatch)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  18. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    The way I see Star Wars rankings today has changed a lot.

After 10 films (counting Solo), and 11 after Episode IX, what does it mean being #6 in the list? #7? I am starting to consider the exercise kinda futile after so many movies.

Fact is that not a single Star Wars, for me, gets less than a 7.5/10 (AOTC), and I consider that movie quite enjoyable for what it is.

I understand that back when we had only 6 movies, that ranking stuff made a little more sense than I feel it does now.

Even my ranking in my sig, for me, is starting to make less and less sense when I think about it in the real world. Sitting in the couch watching any of those movies is a good time, no matter which one I choose on that given day.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    burg2774, Hypatia and Ody_Mandrell like this.
  19. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Nostalgia is a strange thing you know. I mean, the very essence of my SW fandom tells me that overall, TLJ is just a better film than ROTJ.
    But Jedi is the first SW film I saw in the cinema as a kid in ‘83. So it will always hold a special place for me.
    In fact, it’s a tie for third

yanote, Ricardo Funes and Satipo like this.
  20. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I find the nostalgia aspect fascinating. I'd love to know what I'd think of all the films (1 - 8 plus R1) had I watched them all in the same week back in 1983 (when I first watched a SW film in the cinema).

Ricardo Funes and Jcuk like this.
  21. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    I think TLJ is a good film, and pleasantly different from the others. I think what makes it so divisive has not so much to do with the film itself but with the way it high tails it sideways off in its own direction, leaving TFA flailing in the wind with what it set up. What we've got is akin to the SW books of the late EU, where separate writers take a thin overreaching plotline and run off in different directions , focusing on what they want to do and crumpling up the tedious parts that the writer injected into the story. Case in point: Phasma . Awesome character, introduced merely days before and then killed off. It makes the "so good to have you back" hollow, as she just saw Finn like a day ago when he tossed her into a garbage masher (or alluded to it). Next case: Snoke . Introduced as the supreme and wise leader for literally a couple of days and then bisected with such ease. TLJ was supposed to have started immediately after TFA but kept having scenes that suggested some time had past. Rey got a haircut on Ach To it seems (no way you can get 3 ponytails from shoulder length hair). Finn was all discombobulated in the med bay like he's been out a while, but really it was like a couple hours . These are jarring instances that perturbed my feng shui

Shadao likes this.
  22. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I can remember being very disappointed with there being literally no Luke in TFA.
    I liked the idea of him being a shadowy, hooded figure we rarely see ghosting Kylo Ren. Say for example, appearing at the aftermath of the village massacre and finding a murdered Lor San Tekka...

Instead we got exile Luke. A Luke who the narrative made a point of telling us wouldn’t really be in a very good state mentally once we caught up with him.
    So everything that transpired on Ahch-To with Luke in TLJ was entirely in keeping with how TFA Luke was set up.
    In hindsight however, I do think Abrams made a mistake in choosing to have Luke clad in his Jedi Sunday best when we first see him.
    JJ must’ve been aware as to what Rian had in mind for Luke.
    Why not have Luke going about his business, turn in astonishment as he hears the Falcon approach the island and then witness Rey emerge after it lands?
    They both see each other from afar..THE END.

Jamtia and Ridley Solo like this.
  23. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    After watching and re-watching twice more, I can finally place it as 6th in the saga. Not the best (or even middling best), but definitely not the worst. While there are things I don't like, I've made my peace with it.

24. mike778

mike778 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2012
    Pretty confident in my rankings now

1. ESB
    2. ANH
    3. ROTJ
    4. TLJ
    5. TFA
    6. RO
    7. ROTS
    8. TPM
    9. AOTC

TLJ seem to be a film that people in the real world seem to like a lot more than people on the internet - obviously a limited sample but not spoken to anyone who hated it in the real world (although not spoken to anyone who liked it more than the OT films either). It stood up to re-watches better than I was expecting even if the middle bit drags and no amount of re-watching will make the Leia scene work.

Satipo and Ender_and_Bean like this.
  25. DarthYourMom

DarthYourMom Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 26, 2002
    ESB
    ROTJ
    ANH
    R1
    TFA
    ROTS
    TLJ
    AOTC