main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Rank the Marvel Cinematic Universe Films

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darkslayer, Dec 16, 2013.

?

What is your favorite MCU film?

Poll closed May 16, 2014.
  1. Captain America: The First Avenger

7 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. Iron Man

9 vote(s)
    17.0%
  3. The Incredible Hulk

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. Iron Man 2

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Thor

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. The Avengers

31 vote(s)
    58.5%
  7. Iron Man 3

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  8. Thor: The Dark World

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Hmm, if I could throw Cap, Avengers, Iron man all in the 31 spot I'd do it. But I shall choose.

1. Avengers-It put them all together in at least a good a delivery as any other.

2. (Damn this is tough) Captain America The First Avenger.

3. Iron Man - best delivered origin

4. Thor 2-Loki and Thor as a team is awesome. So-so impressive villain.

5. Punisher- first one with Tom Jane. Oh, did I go off the list? Neener, great movie.

6. Thor - the Earth scenes lacked a little, and Portman and Thor didn't meld well the first time around. The best part of the movie is when he first goes tot he crater and fails to lift the hammer. At that point the character development begins, very good.

Iron man 2 > Iron Man 3, the Hulk films sucked.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    1. The Avengers
    2. Iron Man
    3. Captain America
    4. The Incredible Hulk
    5. Iron Man 3
    6. Thor
    7. Iron Man 2
    8. Thor 2

To preface- I love popcorn flicks. Even if they're not necessarily great films, I'll find them highly enjoyable (for example, I really like Pirates 2 and 3). So that's why I place Avengers at no. 1. It's wicked fun and did a great job at tying the whole MCU together. It met my expectations and also exceeded them.

Hulk, IM3, and Thor are pretty much tied, but that loosely describes my ranking for them. Same with Thor 2 and IM2- both have weak villains but good supporting characters, with IM2 arguable having a better supporting cast.

And I know there's not a whole lotta love for The Incredible Hulk, but I enjoy it a lot, and I was glad its story was kept intact for Avengers.

Also, listing the Thor movies low doesn't mean I dislike them, it just means I like them less than the others. I like and enjoy all of these films, just not equally. ;)

3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I don't think anyone has had the same rankings so far, some really interesting thoughts lol. I actually think Malekith is underrated as a villain. He invaded Asgard and defeated Frigga, he actually did pose a threat at least in my view. The only thing that put Thor 2 below the Avengers for me was Darcy and her stupid intern. They are pointless characters, I would rather see more the mythology, like Sif, Heimdall, and the Warriors 3 expanded and developed more.

4. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Christopher Ecclestone is a great actor, his makeup and performance were pretty good in Thor 2, but Malekith as a villain absolutely sucks. Is he at war with Asgard just because he's a Dark Elf and that's what Dark Elves do? And didn't Algrim/Kurse kill Frigga? She cut Malekith's face before they decided that the movie needed one less female character. And why's Malekith want to bring darkness to the universe? Why's destruction of the universe his goal? Wouldn't that mean he's also destroyed because he's in the universe? If that's the case, why's he such an absolutely bad nihilist? Does he understand nihilism? Why's he advertised as the villain but never really shown in the marketing materials? Is it because of Loki? I think it's because of Loki because he's actually a compelling character, unlike Malekith, who is well-acted but that's not terribly hard when your role amounts to "look scary and I dunno antagonize."

5. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    He's a DARK elf. He ruled the dark, pre-Asgard universe, according to the movie. This whole movie is about him trying to reclaim that which he sacrificed so much for.

6. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    So he's just a bad guy because the movie needs a bad guy.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    1. Captain America
    2. Iron Man
    3. The Avengers
    4. Iron Man 3
    5. Thor 2
    6. Thor
    I haven't seen The Incredible Hulk, and I don't want to dignify the hot mess that is Iron Man 2 with a ranking.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    1) The Avengers
    2) Iron Man
    3) Thor
    4) Iron Man 3
    5) Thor: The Dark World
    6) Captain America: The First Avenger
    7) The Incredible Hulk
    8) Iron Man 2

9. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    No, his background is incredibly simple. If you don't understand it then you should read the comics or look it up. The movie covered it well enough. He is literally reclaiming what was his, like said.

Darkslayer likes this.
  10. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    No, I get it, there's just not a huge amount of character there.

11. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    k dude

Darkslayer likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He's just trying to destroy the universe because he's furious with David Tennant.

13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Alright, but that's exactly the thing. What do those three sentences mean? Is he trying to reclaim his right to rule the universe, regardless of what state it's in? Is he just bitter about being deposed? Alternatively, does he just miss the way the universe was back when there was dark matter (I guess?) as opposed to whatever is in operation now? Would he only be happy if he was both ruler and living in a dark universe? Are there any physical effects of being in this sort of universe? Does it incapacitate or limit him somehow, or is the issue more of a psychological or spiritual one from his perspective?

When did he sacrifice anything at all for anyone? The only thing I saw was a henchman sacrificing something .

The movie mostly just told what his goal was. That's it. I didn't understand why he wanted that goal or how he felt about it. Not every movie needs to do an in-depth study of its antagonists, you're right. But the ones that don't usually can't claim to have great villains, either. So I think it was fair to call the lack of detail here a weak point.

14. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Yes, Alan Taylor pretty much said he would love a Director's Cut, because it fleshed out Malekith as a character more. I just thought that Christopher Eccleston gave a great performance, and posed a threat to Thor. That's why I say he is underrated, cause I really liked Eccleston in this movie. But I do agree they could have fleshed him out more. Still, his goal/desires were obvious enough, and that was all that was needed for this film.

Penguinator I suppose I wrote this for you as well.

15. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Yeah, there's definitely a lot left on the cutting room floor. It's a good performance and the movie's fine, I just wish the villain could have more focus.

Darkslayer likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    1- The Avengers
    2- Iron Man
    3- Iron Man 2
    4- Thor 2
    5- The Incredible Hulk
    6- Thor
    7- Captain America
    8- Iron Man 3

Generally speaking, I feel IM2 is very underrated and gets far too much flack. It got a lot of heat from people claiming it was all Avengers set-up (which, outside of 1 scene, it wasn't), and then people kinda ignored the fact that the next two movies were more direct set-ups for Avengers and never let IM2 out of detention.

The rest comes from people that either loved or hated Rockwell's character and felt he was either the only redeeming factor of the film or the component that ruins the entire film. I think that averages out in the long run.

It is sorely lacking a face-to-face rematch between Stark and Ivan, however (even the alternate ending filmed wasn't completely satisfying in that regards). Still, while it never reaches the heights of the first film's highlights, it's more consistent overall and still manages to have a more satisfying (and less obligatory-feeling) ending, despite the aforementioned confrontation not happening.

Iron Man 3, meanwhile, while not a bad film, is just not as entertaining as the others- only when it becomes Lethal Weapon 5 (With Robots) at the end does it really start to have some fun. It'll definitely be least rewatched of the Marvel films for me- even if it's 3 key sequences are pretty spectacular.

(I also can't help but feel like we were gypped out of the far more promising "Lesson #1: Heroes- there's no such thing" plot we were sold on, which would have been absolutely amazing in the wake of the events of Avengers. That said, I acknowledge that is more of my pre-conceptions than what the film actually is- but the whole Mandarin twist is a key component in why that plot couldn't come to fruition).

Everything else in the MCU more or less falls at about the same level.Thor 2 was more fun overall, even if the villain was much weaker & underdeveloped than Loki in the first. TIH I think deserves more love- it doesn't hit every cylinder perfectly but it's a great take on the character, having that Bourne-like edge to it while also having an end fight that far exceeded everyone's expectations). Cap has a different vibe to it, but I think having so much of the war happen in montage hurt it- even if it allows events to fast forward to the Avengers and the greatly promising Winter Solider.

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd rank it above Iron Man 2 actually.

18. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    OK so I am going to do a running ranking system like what Jarren_Lee-Saber is doing with the Star Wars and X-Men threads. A #1 ranking gets a movie 8 points, a #2 ranking gets a movie 7 points, and so on. If you would like to change your rankings, you MUST quote your old ones in your new post.

So, here are the results so far.

1. The Avengers = 182 points
    2. Iron Man = 141 points
    3. Captain America: The First Avenger = 127 points
    4. Thor = 107 points
    5. Thor: The Dark World = 102 points
    6. Iron Man 2 = 77 points
    7. The Incredible Hulk = 67 points
    8. Iron Man 3 = 60 points

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  19. Darth_Smeagol

Darth_Smeagol Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    1. The Avengers
    2. Iron Man
    3. Thor
    4. Thor: The Dark World
    5. Iron Man 3
    6. Iron Man 2
    7. The Incredible Hulk
    8. Captain America

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I agree with this order, implicitly.

21. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    6. Iron Man 2
    7. Iron Man 3

22. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    1. The Avengers = 196 points
    2. Iron Man = 155 points
    3. Captain America: The First Avenger = 136 points
    4. Thor = 116 points
    5. Thor: The Dark World = 111 points
    6. Iron Man 2 = 83 points
    7. Iron Man 3 = 71 points
    8. The Incredible Hulk = 69 points

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm sad people aren't ranking the Ang Lee Hulk movie. It's terrible to the point of being unwatchable, but one cannot ignore it.

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Ang Lee Hulk is better than pretty much all the Marvel superhero movies that came after it.

Drac39 likes this.
  25. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    1. The Avengers
    2. Iron Man
    3. Iron Man 3
    4. Thor
    5. Captain America
    6. Iron Man 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.