main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Rank the novels of the new canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ScorpionJedi, Jan 7, 2016.

1. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    Dark Disciple
    A New Dawn
    Lost Stars
    Moving Target
    Lords of the Sith
    Bloodline
    Weapon of the Jedi
    Heir to the Jedi
    Battlefront:Twilight Company
    Smuggler's Run
    Tarkin
    Aftermath

That's just the original novels. Might go back and add the short stories later.

2. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    This is my personal ranking of the Del Rey novels:

1. Aftermath (yea yea whatever)
    2. Bloodline
    3. Battlefront: Twilight Company
    4. A New Dawn
    5. Lords of the Sith
    6. Dark Disciple
    7. Tarkin
    8. Heir to the Jedi

I also have the TFA novelization sitting on my shelf but I never actually got around to reading it...
    Also, based on the reactions so far to Aftermath: Life Debt, I feel like that could top my list after I read it.

3. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    1) Tarkin
    2) Battlefront: Twilight Company
    3) Lords of the Sith
    4) Bloodline
    5) A New Dawn (JJM is one of my favorite authors but the connection to Rebels has a negative effect)
    6) Dark Disciple (Hated canon Vos and ruined Ventress)
    7) Aftermath
    8) Heir to the Jedi

4. SienneRe

SienneRe Jedi Master star 2

Mar 23, 2016
    I haven't read everything yet but so far:
    1. Lost Stars (absolutely the best loved everything about this book and I've already reread it twice)
    2. Battlefront: Twilight Company (the biggest surprise bc I don't even play the game)
    3. A New Dawn (overall very good with cool Kanan and interesting villains)
    4. Bloodline (tbh no2-4 should be equal, I enjoyed those books a lot, Bloodline to me explains a lot of TFA)
    5. Servants to the Empire (another surprise, very good read)
    6. Dark Disciple (I liked it but it disturbed me sometimes - especially the behaviour of the Council)
    7. TFA - Journey to Awakening (too short - but really nice stories)
    8. Lords of the Sith (I fell asleep reading it... but I am not a fan of Cham Syndulla)
    9. Aftermath (didn't finish it but mostly because of the writing style)

reading Tarkin now and it'll probably go just behind DD

5. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    I've only read 4, but I'll put in my two cents anyways. I'll update when I read more.

1. Lost Stars
    2. Bloodline
    3. TFA
    4. Aftermath (I didn't hate it. It was just underwhelming compared to Lost Stars/Bloodline)

6. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I'll rank the ones I've read.... keeping in mind Life Debt is about to drop.

1. Bloodline
    2. Battlefront
    3. Lost Stars
    4. Aftermath (bring it on haters!)
    5. Lords of the Sith
    6. A New Dawn
    All the above I consider at least good, if not VERY good.
    Those below were kinda "meh"
    7. Tarkin
    8. Heir to the Jedi

I also read Journey to the Force Awakens, which was good for what it is, but not really comparable to the others, IMO.

7. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    1. Lost Stars (5/5) – Such a great novel. Despite the fact that we are covering events we have already seen on film, the new perspectives and the character's relationship really elevate OT events and give Jakku's wreckage extra weight when watching TFA. Really hoping we see a followup.
    2. Bloodline (5/5) – The only novel, so far, where the events felt very important to the saga. We had a major character as the lead, and not as a cameo, and everything was just so engaging because it was leading into the political climate of the sequel trilogy. TFA dropped the ball on giving information on how politics functioned 30 years after ROTJ, but Bloodline does a good job remedying that. I also greatly enjoyed that we finally see how a crucial bit of info about Leia's past is revealed.
    3. A New Dawn (4.5/5) – Just a great all around Star Wars story. Characters were fun, and as Rebels was in its infancy it was great to get to know how Kanan and Hera met. I loved the villain! One of the few new canon novels that I really want to re-read soon.
    4. Dark Disciple (4/5) – As a The Clone Wars fan, I really enjoyed this book. I was half excited to finally read a story that was long teased as being lost episodes, and half letdown that we will never see this story animated. Such an important TCW character meets their end, and it will forever be in the confines of a book after years of being onscreen.
    5. Tarkin (4/5) – The "present day" stuff was alright, but I loved the flashbacks to Tarkin's early years and how brutal they were. Would love to see a Dooku novel that does something similar.
    6. Lords of the Sith (3.5/5) – A fun read, but quite forgettable. I only recall TCW connections and the weird bug fights. Royal Guards have some cool moments, and it is always fun to see Vader and Palpatine interact. Nothing really consequential occurs, but I liked this one.
    7. Aftermath (3.5/5) – It took me a while to get into the present tense prose, but once I did I enjoyed the new characters well enough. The interludes were what I really enjoyed, and I was left wanting more. I would have much preferred a Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina style book that had an anthology of tales from across the galaxy following ROTJ.
    8. Heir to the Jedi (1.5/5) – Forgettable. Very clearly written before the EU was wiped out. Very little happens in this book, and I sort of wish I never read it due to the insanely stupid "Vader's Many Prosthetic Parts" song. Such a shame that this was one of the novels that kicked off the new canon.

Haven't gotten around to reading Battlefront:Twilight Company yet, so I can't place it.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  8. Fiannawolf

Fiannawolf Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 11, 2015
    My rankings so far:

Surprised/Good:
    Lost Stars, Battlefront, Bloodlines, A New Dawn

Decent:
    Lords of the Sith, Tarkin, Dark Disciple

Meh/Didn't work for me:
    Aftermath

9. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    1. Lost Stars
    2. Bloodline
    3. A New Dawn
    4. Lords of the Sith
    5. A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy
    6. Heir to the Jedi
    7. Dark Cisciple
    8. Tarkin
    9. Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
    10. The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi?
    11. The Force Awakens (Novelization)
    12. Aftermath
    13. Battlefront: Twilight Company
    14. Smuggler's Run
    15. The Weapon of a Jedi
    16. Moving Target
    17. The Perfect Weapon

10. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Is it premature to go ahead and rank the Thrawn novel number one? :D

11. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
    1. Lost Stars
    2. Bloodline
    3. A New Dawn
    4. Lords of the Sith
    6. Heir to the Jedi
    7. Dark Disciple
    8. Tarkin
    9. Aftermath: Life Debt
    10. Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
    11. The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi?
    12. The Force Awakens (Novelization)
    13. Aftermath
    14. Battlefront: Twilight Company
    15. Smuggler's Run
    16. The Weapon of a Jedi
    17. Moving Target
    18. The Perfect Weapon

12. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    1 Lords of the Sith
    2 A New Dawn
    3 Dark Disciple
    4 Lost Stars
    5 The Force Awakens novel
    6 Tarkin

13. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
    1. Lost Stars
    2. Bloodline
    3. A New Dawn
    4. Lords of the Sith
    6. Heir to the Jedi
    7. Dark Disciple
    8. Tarkin
    9. Aftermath: Life Debt
    10. Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
    11. The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi?
    12. The Force Awakens (Novelization)
    13. Aftermath
    14. Battlefront: Twilight Company
    15. Smuggler's Run
    16. The Weapon of a Jedi
    17. Moving Target
    18. The Perfect Weapon
    19. The Force Awakens: Rey's Story

14. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    1. Dark Disciple
    2. Lords of the Sith
    3. Lost Stars
    4. Tarkin
    5. Battlefront: Twilight Company
    6. A New Dawn

15. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015
    1. Bloodline
    2. Aftermath: Life Debt
    3. Lost Stars
    4. Battlefront: Twilight Company
    5. A New Dawn
    6-9. Servants of the Empire series
    10. Moving Target
    11. Lords of the Sith
    12. Dark Disciple
    13. Smuggler's Run
    14. The Weapon of A Jedi
    15. Aftermath
    16. Tarkin
    17. Ezra's Gamble
    18. Heir to the Jedi
    19. The Perfect Weapon

16. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    1. Blodline
    2. Tarkin
    3. The Force Awakens
    4. Lords of the Sith
    5. Heir to the Jedi

I haven't finished Life Debt yet so I'm not going to rank it just yet.

17. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    My top 5:
    1. Return of the Jedi
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. A New Hope
    4. Heir to the Jedi
    5. Weapon of a Jedi

18. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    I'm having trouble keeping up with the different book types in the new canon, can someone shed some light on what types of novels the new canon is producing. There's adult, young adult, junior, and illustrated novels, is that correct?

Adult:

Bloodline, A New Dawn, Lords of the Sith, Heir to the Jedi, Dark Disciple, Tarkin, Aftermath, Aftermath: Life Debt, Aftermath: Empire's End, The Force Awakens, Battlefront: Twilight Company, Catalyst, Thrawn, Rogue One

Young Adult:

Ahsoka, Lost Stars

Junior:

Smuggler's Run, The Weapon of a Jedi, Moving Target

Illustrated:

A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy, Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!, The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi?

Aside from reading a few of the Jedi Prince books when I was young, I stuck to adult novels in Legends. I was going to do the same with the new canon but I'm going to read the young adult novels because of the amazing reviews people have given Lost Stars.

Grievousdude likes this.
  19. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Revised list of best to worst adult canon novels

Heir to the Jedi
    Battlefront: Twilight Company
    A New Dawn
    Aftermath: Life Debt
    Bloodline
    Lords of the Sith
    Aftermath
    Dark Disciple
    Tarkin

I didn't read The Force Awakens novelization and most likely will not read the Rogue One novelization.

20. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012

I agree that Lost Stars was great, and to be honest I'm not quite sure how they define Young Adult vs. Adult, because I did not notice a big difference between books like A New Dawn or Tarkin compared to Lost Stars. I remember reading someone saying YA books are just called that because the main characters are young adults, and it is relatable for young people.

JABoomer likes this.
  21. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015

I've addressed my opinions on this in a couple of threads, so I know that not everyone agrees with me. But there are some differences other than just the age of the main characters. These include simple things like formatting and line spacing, but they go as deep as thematic elements and the prose. Remember, just because a book uses SAT words doesn't mean it's for adults, but the complexity and design of sentence structure does tend to be a little more complicated in the adult novels than young adult. Of course, take that with a grain of salt for genre novels, which vary based on author and tend towards pulp regardless. The themes is a little more obvious, in my opinion. A New Dawn, using your first example, tackles themes of government spying on its citizens and being true to oneself. While these are obvious on the surface level, the degree to which they are explored is deeper and upon some more analysis is made more meaningful. In Lost Stars, however, the main themes are friendship and love. These are complex themes, but I do not find that they are explored much deeper thematically than as described in the text itself. So while the book itself actually addresses more adult themes (there was sex and abuse, as I recall), they are explored in a more explicit and more implicit manner.

Another difference that I personally have found with young adult books to regular novels is that the young adult books are easier to follow. They follow one or two main characters and a basically linear storytelling style. A New Dawn had chapters that focus on 5 or 6 different characters and storylines that weave back and forth and do not come together until the end. Tarkin followed basically just Tarkin, but skipped back and forth between three different time periods to draw a thematic and plot thread towards the end. Lost Stars, on the other hand, follows two characters who keep meeting throughout the course of the Galactic Civil War, and shows their progress through that.

This is not to criticize Lost Stars, which I loved, or the young adult genre, which, like any other genre, has both good and bad books. And I know that my opinions aren't shared by all. There's a number of people out there who think that the young adult label is just a marketing ploy. I haven't read a whole lot of young adult fiction, but what I have read is all true to what I've stated above, although I'm sure a couple of counterexamples exist.

22. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    Adding on to my list!

As you can see, Aftermath is right at the very bottom of my list, but I have to say, I actually enjoyed Life Debt quite a bit! I just thought the first one was boring. Really boring. The second one definitely held my attention better. I love Sinjir. I love Sloane. I loved that Leia, Han, Chewie, and even Wedge all played bigger roles in this one (didn't like Wedge's role in the first book). I liked it quite a bit and I can't wait for book three! Despite what a lot of people say, I actually really enjoy Wendig's writing style and look forward to reading more of his work in the Star Wars universe. The first book just didn't do anything for me.

23. RX-77

RX-77 Jedi Padawan

Jan 13, 2016
    Revised list.

1: Lost Stars
    2: Aftermath Life Debt
    3: Lords Of The Sith
    4: Battlefront
    5: Tarkin
    6: Bloodline
    7: Dark Disciple
    8: Aftermath
    9: A New Dawn
    10: Before The Awakening
    11: Aliens Vol 1
    12: Heir To The Jedi

24. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    1. Lost Stars
    2. Battlefront: Twilight Company
    3. Bloodline
    4. Aftermath
    5. Tarkin
    6. Weapon of a Jedi
    7. Lords of the Sith

Haven't truly hated anything yet (though I've purposely stayed away from DD and HttJ). Looking forward to starting Life Debt this weekend. I'd be interested in seeing someone take this data and calculate a score for each book or something. Maybe I'll do it if I'm bored enough one of these days.

25. medioCORE

medioCORE Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    Bloodline
    Lost Stars (YA)
    Aftermath: Life Debt
    A New Dawn
    Battlefront: Twilight Company
    Tarkin
    Aftermath
    Smuggler's Run (J)
    Dark Disciple