main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Rank the novels of the new canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ScorpionJedi, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    1. Bloodline A
    2. Lost Stars A
    3. Battlefront: Twilight Company B+
    4. Dark Disciple C+
    5. A New Dawn C
    6. Lords of the Sith C
    7. Catalyst D
    8. Tarkin D
    9. Ahsoka F+
    10. Aftermeth: Life Debt F
    11. Aftermeth F-

Overall, I have really not enjoyed the new canon. I'm not sure why, but I think for the first time in my life... I'm gonna quit reading Star Wars books. I simply no longer care, these books hold no stakes for me and it has become a chore to read them. I'll finish the Aftermath trilogy (what i consider to be the worst Star Wars fiction since Jedi Trial and Callista) and I'll read Thrawn as a last chance, but after that I think I'm done.

It just doesn't hold the same spirit that the old EU did. If you enjoy the NEU, then that is great. Obviously all I've said is here is just the opinion of a local idiot.

2. Counter

Counter Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 3, 2017
    I haven't read all of the NuCanon books yet, but overall I'm much happier with the quality and the feel of the universe in these novels. That said, I agree with Dread Pirate Roberts in his description of the Aftermath trilogy. Dreadful writing and meh story.

Catalyst 10/10
    Lost Stars 10/10
    Bloodline 9.5/10
    Tarkin 9/10
    A New Dawn 9/10
    Battlefront: Twilight Company 9/10
    Lords of the Sith 8.5/10
    Aftermath: Life Debt 6/10
    Aftermath 5/10
    Aftermath: Empire's End 4/10

I haven't read Dark Disciple or Ahsoka.

Dread Pirate Roberts likes this.
  3. JediLaw

JediLaw Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2001
    This is my first post here in many years. I came back on a whim to see what other folks thought of Star Wars lit since the Disney buyout. Right away I found this post and agree entirely. Since all books, comics, and video games now "count" in SW canon nothing of importance can take place in SW lit. Tarkin was pretty good but Heir to the Jedi left me cold. I was so excited to read Aftermath but found finishing the novel was a real chore. Yeah, the writing style was jarring, but I found the new characters uninteresting. What's worse, the book really didn't fill in anything important between Jedi and TFA. For the first time since 1991, purchasing and reading each new SW novel on its date of release is not important to me. I suppose it was bound to happen but it still makes me sad all the same.

4. jmf4

jmf4 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 20, 2008
    I feel the same way, although I never really gave the new canon much of a shot, Nothing really grabbed my attention and I really started branching out on my reading choices right when the Disney acquisition happened. Listened to Catalyst since I had a free audio book to burn but wasn't too impressed. Tempted to give Thrawn a shot just for old time's sake.

JediLaw and Dread Pirate Roberts like this.
  5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Personally, I'm OK with nothing truly galaxy-changing happening in the books/comics. That sort of thing should take place in the movies where more people will experience it. Use the lit to flesh out the characters and the galaxy.

That's actually why I'm enjoying the new canon, you can get side stories featuring the main characters but their characters still line up with the films because the major events they experience happen there (or in the animated series).

6. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Thrawn was a disappointment. Here's my revised list with letter grades

Heir to the Jedi - A
    Battlefront: Twilight Company - A
    A New Dawn - A
    Lords of the Sith - B-
    Bloodline - B-
    Aftermath: Life Debt- B-
    Thrawn - C+
    Aftermath: Empire's End - C+
    Aftermath - D
    Catalyst - D
    Dark Disciple - D-
    Tarkin - F

7. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Honestly just read Heir to the Jedi, Battlefront: Twilight Company and A New Dawn. Everything else is a waste of time and not worth it.

Battlefront II: Inferno Squad will probably suck, Phasma is a wild card but its about a boring I-couldn't-care-less-about character and From A Certain Point of View has 40 short stories. I doubt they could f up 40 times in a row, so their might be something within it worth reading.

Dread Pirate Roberts likes this.
  8. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    1. Thrawn
    2. Lost Stars
    3. Bloodline
    4. Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
    5. A New Dawn
    6. Lords of the Sith
    7. Dark Disciple
    8. Aftermath: Empire's End
    9. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Novelization)
    10. A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy
    11. Heir to the Jedi
    12. Tarkin
    13. Ahsoka
    14. Aftermath: Life Debt
    15. Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
    16. The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi?
    17. The Force Awakens (Novelization)
    18. Aftermath
    19. Battlefront: Twilight Company
    20. Smuggler's Run
    21. The Weapon of a Jedi
    22. Moving Target
    23. The Perfect Weapon

Darkslayer likes this.
  9. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    With Thrawn in the bag, I've read a whopping... five novels of the new canon. Haven't been interested in anything else. Here's the ranking:

1) Catalyst (good)
    2) Tarkin (OK)
    3) Thrawn (bad)
    4) The Force Awakens novelization (pointless)
    5) Aftermath (awful)

10. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    The next two in the Aftermath trilogy are better than than Aftermath itself. Also, I would recommend Bloodline.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Darkslayer likes this.
  11. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    Well, I didn't read all of the new books but here is still my ranking:

1. Thrawn (very good)
    2. Lost Stars (good)
    3. Empire's End (good)
    4. Tarkin (good)
    5. Aftermath (pretty bad)

In a near future i will read more canon books (I already have Ahsoka at home).

12. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Your optimism is infectious!

cubman987 likes this.
  13. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Aftermath: Life Debt (I was very apprehensive about this one after Aftermath. It turned out excellent.)
    Lords of the Sith (I was highly looking forward to this one and it delivered.)
    Tarkin (I love everything Luceno writes and found the Tarkin-Vader relationship perfect.)
    Thrawn (I also love everything Zahn writes and thought the characterizations of Thrawn and Pryce were excellent additions to their Rebels appearances)
    Dark Disciple (After the lackluster Son of Dathomir, I was apprehensive about this one. It's very good especially Ventress and Vos.)
    Aftermath: Empire's End (The book was fine. It just wasn't as good as Life Debt. Dark Knight Rises of the Aftermath trilogy)
    A New Dawn (This book was also fine. It was a good introduction to Kanan and Hera and Rae Sloane.)
    Aftermath (I hated this book. It was boring and the characters were uninspiring.)
    Heir to the Jedi (I did not like the first-person writing. I find it lazy and the story was forgettable.)
    Battlefront: Twilight Company (This was so boring I couldn't finish it. I'll try to Audible it prior to Inferno Squad.)

Currently reading Bloodline. Then Catalyst (I read TFA novelization and cannot remember it. Will probably skip RO novelization.)

14. Counter

Mar 3, 2017
    My new list now that Thrawn is out and I read it.

Catalyst 10/10
    Lost Stars 10/10
    Thrawn 9.5/10
    Bloodline 9.5/10
    Tarkin 9/10
    A New Dawn 9/10
    Battlefront: Twilight Company 9/10
    Lords of the Sith 8.5/10
    Rogue One 7.5/10
    Aftermath: Life Debt 6/10
    Aftermath 5/10
    Aftermath: Empire's End 4/10

I still haven't read Dark Disciple or Ahsoka.

15. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Don't.

16. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Get on reading Dark Disciple ASAP! It's the best book of the new canon!!!

17. Counter

Mar 3, 2017
    I dunno Darkslayer...spicer is telling me 'No' and you're saying it's the best novel in the NuCanon...and you have The Empire Strikes Back ranked seventh of the eight Star Wars films!

That gives me cause for concern. :p

18. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Have you read the original comics from Dark Horse that featured Quinlan Vos? If your answer is yes, then I can almost guarantee that you won't like Dark Disciple.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I've read the comics - I thought Dark Disciple was an interesting alternate take - the way the Thrawn novel had an interesting alternate take on the Mist Encounter short story, at the beginning.

PCCViking likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Kind of why I don't really want to read the story myself. And sort of burnt out on TCW content. I have the book but that's it.

spicer likes this.
  21. SmallTatooineSun

SmallTatooineSun Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 16, 2016
    So far I have only read:
    Bloodline
    Lost Stars
    Ahsoka

I enjoyed all three of them. I was going to use this thread to choose my next one, but there is no consensus. Hmm.

Darkslayer likes this.
  22. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Still reading (actually listening to the audiobook) Thrawn, but as for Dark Disciple I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Same. I'm pretty sure that people that don't like TCW won't enjoy Dark Disciple either. There may be exceptions, but I wouldn't recommend this book to people that didn't enjoy TCW.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I like TCW and would like the Yuuzhan Vong arc, Battle of Coruscant, anything else they have with Hondo, etc. but this arc?
    Just no interest.

Obsession and Republic were more satisfying endings though was expecting them to be in Dark Times comics or a tv series right after ROTS.

spicer likes this.
  24. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    I haven't read too many so far, but ranking the ones I've read:

1) Lords of the Sith (9/10)
    2) Thrawn (8/10)
    3) Ahsoka (7/10)
    4) Aftermath (3/10)

I've got Dark Disciple, Tarkin, Bloodlines, Aftermath Life Debt, & Aftermath: Empire's End on deck to read, but I need to find the time to knock them out.

25. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Guess I've read enough to make a list in this thread form the novels I've picked up. So here goes.

1. A New Dawn (9/10)
    2. Bloodline (9/10)
    3. Battlefront: Twilight Company (8.5/10)
    4. Thrawn (8.5/10)
    5. Catalyst (8/10)
    6. Aftermath: Blood Debt (7.5/10)
    7. Lords of the Sith (7.5/10)
    8. Tarkin(7/10)
    9. Aftermath: Empires End (7/10)
    10. Aftermath (6/10)
    11. Dark Disciple (I should have skipped this one/10)