main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rank the Star Wars films, TPM to Rogue One (Locked- Use New Thread)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by anakinfansince1983 , Dec 20, 2016.

?

Which film is your favorite?

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

12 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

7 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

59 vote(s)
    22.1%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

42 vote(s)
    15.7%
  5. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

94 vote(s)
    35.2%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

22 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. Episode VII: The Force Awakens

16 vote(s)
    6.0%
  8. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

15 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They are the ones who have it, not me.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darkslayer like this.
  2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Wait. So you're disappointed that they didn't go with what Lucas wanted, but you don't know what Lucas wanted?

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't need to. I know they didn't do the story Lucas left them with, as both sides were able to confirm.

Darkslayer likes this.
  4. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I'm sorry, but I would completely understand your aversion to the ST if you'd actually been privy to GL's own complete outline. An outline that was fundamentally different in every way to what we now have? Which is impossible to verify.
    I'm willing to go out on a limb, and claim that many elements from GL's version made it into the ST's narrative

5. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002

I would be shocked if the basic structure of Lucas's outline copied the basic structure of the OT - already having a backstory of a Jedi turning to the darkside and slaughtering all the other Jedi, with his mentor going into exile as a result, having almost all the Jedi extinct, which would create a whole other backstory that is the same basic structure as the PT, And then having a common person discovering a droid that contains sensitive information that leads to the destruction of the evil they are fighting, and then having Han start off in the same place he was at the beginning of ANH. We already know for a fact that Lucas would have had very different ships and very different planets, because he said so himself.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darkslayer like this.
  6. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    Whether that's the case or not, it's the execution of said elements that count, at least for me. And I was nonplussed by the shallow execution of TFA. So if they did use some of GL's ideas than I'm even more so.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Are you implying that both Lucas and Disney have lied regarding their decision to discard it and doing something different?

Not really. If you pay attention to what has been said, we do know that they decided to do their own thing, and that for TLJ they had free reign, there was literally no roadmap that they had to follow. So we do know that not only they are not following any guideline or treatment, but they are making things up as they go.

Whatever Lucas gave to them, what they are doing now is "fundamentally different" by default.

Maybe, maybe not. Elements in and on themselves are irrelevant without the context of the story and intent.

P.S: Anyway, I've made my opinion know in the respective threads. This is way off-topic.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  8. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Oh, lord.

V
    IV
    VI
    VII
    RO
    III
    I
    II

Darth Downunder likes this.
  9. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    The most relevant respective thread being this one: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-development-of-the-force-awakens
    Which puts together the various facts & the timeline of the early development of the story. The conclusion being that a lot of elements from the Lucas/Arndt phase were retained in the final movie.

Looking fwd to the new poll with TLJ added. Guess it will only last 6 months before another new one to include Solo is needed.

10. Trikuza23

Trikuza23 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2015
    Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    Rogue One
    Return of the Jedi
    The Force Awakens
    Revenge of the Sith
    The Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones

Darth Downunder likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    8.)AOTC
    7.)ROTJ
    6.)ESB
    5.) TPM
    4.)ANH
    3.)RO
    2.)ROTS
    1.)TFA

I love them all though

Alienware likes this.
  12. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    1. ROTS
    2. TESB
    3. ROTJ
    4. TFA
    5. RO
    6. ANH
    7. AOTC
    8. TPM

Alienware likes this.
  13. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Empire
    Rogue one
    A new hope
    Revenge of the Sith
    Return of the jedi
    Force Awakens
    Phantom Menace
    Attack of the clones

14. Darth Voorhees

Darth Voorhees Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2017
    1) Empire Strikes Back
    2) A New Hope
    3) Revenge of the Sith
    4) Return of the Jedi
    5) The Force Awakens
    6) Attack of the Clones
    7) Phantom Menace
    8) Rogue One

15. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    1, Star Wars Revenge Of The Sith
    2, Star Wars Return Of The Jedi
    3, Star Wars The Empire Strike Back
    4, Star Wars A New Hope
    6, Star Wars Attack Of The Clones
    7, Star Wars The Force Awakens
    8, Star Wars The Phantom Menace

5, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

16. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    After recently re-watching the PT and Rogue One, I think my ranking is thusly:

1. The Phantom Menace 10/10
    2. Attack of the Clones 10/10
    3. Revenge of the Sith 9/10
    4. Rogue One 8/10
    5. The Empire Strikes Back 8/10
    6. The Clone Wars 7/10
    7. Return of the Jedi 7/10
    8. A New Hope 6/10
    9. The Force Awakens 3/10

Rogue One is just so good, it's jumped up the rankings.

17. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
  18. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    What about people ranking The Clone Wars movie (me ;)) Will there be points for 10th place too. :p

Alienware likes this.
  19. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Funny you should ask Alienware. December 15th I just created a new thread which will stay locked until 12/15. Let me know if you think anything should be changed or fixed in the new thread.

20. Alienware

Apr 19, 2013
    Ah, nice! Maybe you could include the link to my chart in the postscript and say that I'll include every full ranking like I did in the past.

I'm doing this just for fun anyway (and as a data freak). :)

darkspine10 In your situation -- and with people that include other stuff like the Holiday Special, Rebels, Clone Wars etc. -- I just ignore these movies/shows as if they weren't there, but I still include the ranking of the (real? live action) movies. The only ones I don't include are those that don't have all the movies in the rankings (like without the prequels for example). But it's rare.

21. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    How will that work? Are you manually going to update the information?

22. Alienware

Apr 19, 2013

Yes, just like with the previous two sheets:
    And every individual ranking is linked in the "Ranking data" tab, so it's all transparent and everyone can check the rankings for themselves. 1st place gets 9 points (in the new one) and down to last place which gets 1 point.

And every so often I make an update like this.

23. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    OK. I will put the link in the first post. Please take a look at it and let me know your thoughts.

We should name you JCF forum statistician.

Alienware likes this.
  24. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Let's see. Probably did this before and won't be surprised if they don't line up with one another.

TESB / RotS - For the obvious reason that these set up the "good guys" at their lowest, so the peak of drama. RotS has its flaws, but I feel it has more high points overall than TESB. So I can never really decide which is better/more enjoyable.

ANH - It set everything up, so it will always leave me in nostalgic awe. It really doesn't have any serious flaws.

RotJ - The throne room scene is probably the best of the series. The only true competition being TESB's Bespin duel. I don't even really have a problem with Jabba or the Ewoks.

TPM - Loved the setup of the modified SW style. The idea that the real story being played out was hidden under the action story. Never understood the complaining of "too much politics". Loved that part of it and wish the following two had more. Duel of Fates was probably the most visually pleasing scene of the saga.

R1 - Finally gave me the fix I'd been after. The Empire in all its glory. Before the Light Times. Before the New Republic.

AotC - Even though this is faux last, I still enjoy watching it. The Slave 1 scenes were probably the highlight.

Clone Wars Movie - Garbage that I can't bring myself to watch from beginning to end again. Actually fell asleep during my first screening. OK, I was tired before hand, but the other Star Wars movies would have cured that instantly.

Looking forward to TLJ. Adam Driver looks to be turning in another great performance. Not looking forward to Laura Dern. Her character on Enlightened just destroyed connecting her face to that character. She was great as Sue Murphy in F is for Family (couldn't see her).

25. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    THE GREAT
    The Phantom Menace 10/10
    Revenge of the Sith 10/10
    Attack of the Clones 9/10
    The Empire Strikes Back 8/10

THE GOOD
    A New Hope 6/10
    Return of the Jedi 6/10

THE OK
    The Clone Wars (film) 5/10
    Rogue One 5/10

THE AWFUL
    Ewoks: Battle for Endor 3/10
    Ewoks: Caravan of Courage 2/10
    The Force Awakens 2/10
    The Last Jedi 2/10
    The Holiday Special 1/10

ezekiel22x and Visivious Drakarn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.