main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rank the Star Wars films, TPM to Rogue One (Locked- Use New Thread)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by anakinfansince1983 , Dec 20, 2016.

?

Which film is your favorite?

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

12 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

7 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

59 vote(s)
    22.1%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

42 vote(s)
    15.7%
  5. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

94 vote(s)
    35.2%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

22 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. Episode VII: The Force Awakens

16 vote(s)
    6.0%
  8. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

15 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I honestly love them all. I love everything about the Star Wars universe.

1. The Force Awakens - 11/10. It's also my favourite movie of all time.
    2. Revenge of the Sith - 10/10.
    3. Rogue One - 10/10.
    4. Return of the Jedi - 9.5/10.
    5. A New Hope - 9.5/10.
    6. The Empire Strikes Back - 9/10.
    7. Attack of the Clones - 9/10.
    8. The Phantom Menace - 9/10.

2. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. A New Hope
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Rogue One
    6. Attack of the Clones
    7. Revenge of the Sith
    8. The Phantom Menace

3. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    So far:

1. A New Hope
    2. Return of the Jedi
    3. The Phantom Menace
    4.Revenge of the Sith
    5.Empire Strikes Back
    6.The Force Awakens
    7.Rogue One
    8.Attack of the Clones

4. King Prana

King Prana Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    1. ANH
    2. ESB
    3. ROTJ
    4. TFA
    5. R1
    6. TPM
    7.ROTS
    8. AOTC - Interestingly, I thought AOTC was brilliant up until the CGI monster fest in the Gladiator arena (such a shame)

5. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Why do you consider The Phantom Menace better than Revenge of the Sith? I'm curious

6. King Prana

King Prana Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017

Who was a better villain? I'd say Maul was better than Sidious in the prequels.

What was the best lightsabre fight? I'd say Obi-Wan and Qui Gon vs Maul was better than Anakin vs Ob-Wan.

I also think that the pacing of TPM was excellent whereas Anakins fall in ROTS felt forced and rushed. He immediately regretted his actions after Windu was killed and within 20 seconds was on his knees pledging allegiance to Palpatine. I also think the entire Darth Vader suit segment was a poor payoff. The three films built up to that one moment - it should have been the best scene of all three films yet everyone at my cinema started laughing at the you know what moment.

I love all the movies to be honest but think ROTS missed biggest opportunities.

7. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    ROTS- Best opening, best character development, best action and best atmosphere of all 8 so far.

ESB- Best of the OT. Some overrated moments (Battle of Hoth isn't as good as I remember) but most varied locations in the originals. Cloud City is gorgeous.

TPM- Most adventurous and captivating of the saga. Best design work of the PT. More exploration of Tatooine, Great opening. Jedi in their prime. Great battle at the end. (Especially the urban and Duel of the Fates)

AOTC- Weirdest SW movie. Noir elements with a retro 50s feel. Awesome speeder chase (one of the best action moments of the saga), great lightsaber duel that has variety, and a fantastic battle at the climax. The slow build up pays off.

Rogue One- Some great scenes and best designs of the Disney Era yet. Scarif is gorgeous. And finally, the Rebellion is actually cool in this movie. Unfortunately, some bland characters with emotional scenes that dont pay off for me and awkward pacing in the first hour keep it down.

ANH- Great for its time. Doesn't really have much to keep me invested. Fun space opera romp. The Death Star Escape scene is the highlight for me.

ROTJ- Least favorite of the Lucas films. Just tedious to sit through. Once again, some cool stuff like when Luke gets his Saber for the first time, but the first half hour is a bore, and the last hour doesn't work at all for me. Find this more enjoyable if I watch Episode III first.

TFA- Not a bad movie by any means, but it has nothing really interesting either. Pretty by the numbers and the lack of investment in the characters, the plot or the conflict on screen make me feel empty. Luckily, The Last Jedi looks promising.

8. JediRoxx

JediRoxx Jedi Knight

Jan 30, 2016
    ESB
    R1
    TFA
    ANH
    RotS
    RotJ
    AotC
    TPM

Strongbow likes this.
  9. jedibuddy

jedibuddy Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2017
    Lame rogue one is up there with the top 3

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

10. jedibuddy

jedibuddy Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2017
    Empire is tied with new hope rogue one is 2nd, clones and jedi for 3, the rest are tied and are equal

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

11. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015

2. A New Hope

3. Rogue One

4. Return of the Jedi

5. The Force Awakens

6. The Phantom Menace

7. Revenge of the Sith

8. Attack of the Clones

Some notes:
    • The reason that I rank Rogue One over Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens is because unlike those two IMO, it has both tonal story consistency. ROTJ has a great story, but the opening scene at Jabba's Palace, while fun on its own, feels disconnected from the rest of the film, and there are some tonal disparities in the final battle in particular where the scenes of the Ewoks fighting the Empire feel odd juxtaposed to Luke's encounter with Vader and the Emperor. In general, while the Ewoks don't ruin the film for me, they create a tonal disparity that wouldn't have happened if Lucas had went with his original idea of them being Wookiees and set the final battle on Kashyyyk, which would also have added more personal stakes to the conflict with it being Chewbacca's homeworld and species. The Force Awakens on the other hand, doesn't have such tonal disparities, but its story feels uneven. We are introduced with the idea that the goal of this film is to find Luke but about midway through it shifts to destroying Starkiller Base. It would have been much better if TPTB chose one story thread and stuck with it (preferably the former). Rogue One manages to avoid the pitfalls both of the other two films encounter IMO.
    • The Phantom Menace is my favorite of the prequels because it has the best aesthetic/art design out of the three of them; the world feels believable and lived-in for the most part, unlike the fake, plasticky locales of the the other two. It also has a much greater sense of whimsy and adventure that made the CT feel so special.

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  12. GrandMaster223

GrandMaster223 Jedi Youngling

Jul 12, 2017
    1. Revenge of the Sith
    2. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
    3. A New Hope
    4. The Empire Strikes Back
    5. The Force Awakens
    6. Return of the Jedi
    7. The Phantom Menace
    8. Attack of the Clones

Alienware likes this.
  13. realjim949

realjim949 Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 22, 2017
    1. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back 10/10 (All-Time Top 100)
    2. Star Wars 10/10 (All-Time Top 100)
    3. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith 10/10
    4. Rogue One 8/10
    5. Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens 7/10
    6. Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones 7/10
    7. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace 6/10
    8. Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi 5/10

14. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Rots
    Ro
    Tpm
    Anh
    Aotc
    Esb
    Tfa
    Rotj

15. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I honestly love all of them but my ranking is just how it is in my signature at the bottom of my post.

The Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    The Force Awakens
    Return of the Jedi
    Revenge of the Sith
    Attack of the Clones
    Rogue One
    The Phantom Menace

16. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    Having rewatched every movie, I will edit my Rankings:

1. Rogue One -- A sci-fi masterpiece. Every bit a tragic tale of how the Empire destroyed an innocent, loving family as it is about how the Rebel Alliance acquired the plans to the Death Star. Rogue One oozes artistic beauty and gives us a gritty glimpse at the dominion and oppression of the Empire. We also see the early birth pangs of the Rebel Alliance, along with the jockeying for power within the Imperial ranks. Finally, we learn how destructive the galactic civil war is, and how broken the people are who are victim to it...even the ones who just want to keep their heads down and be left alone. And a perfectly executed, bittersweet climax.

2. The Empire Strikes Back -- This is the Empire with Vader overseeing direct operations. We see Luke Skywalker experience massive adversity and failure...first with Yoda and later
    being toyed with in his first lightsaber dual before being dismembered. Hoth is legendary and the musical score throughout is A+. We see Han's past catch up with
    him and Leia use the Force to rescue Luke.

3. A New Hope -- A sci-fi classic for the ages and the story that began it all. I would say "Nuff Said" were it not for how wonderfully Rogue One adds to this classic.

4. Return of the Jedi -- A strong finish to the Original Trilogy that completes Anakin Skywalker's story arc in a satisfying way. We see Luke grow and mature as a Jedi and there are big revelations. The Battle of Endor is a great battle, particularly in space. Something other than a second Death Star would have been preferred and I wish there were 6 times more Ewoks to make ground victory seem more feasible.

5. Revenge of the Sith -- A great film with fantastic moments. Love the variety in locale and Anakin's fall. A little too much CGI and a poorly written death scene for Padme. Amazing play
    scene between Anakin and Palpatine with supurb writing and acting.

6. Attack of the Clones -- Ewan McGregor was the standout in Episode II. Great scenes with him and I liked the interaction with Anakin. Entertaining plot that moved the story along but had too much CGI along with a poorly executed love story. I liked seeing the Jedi at their height.

7. The Phantom Menace -- Two legendary Star Wars scenes, Pod Race and Darth Maul lightsaber fight, along with awesome Naboo tech, but the pacing of the story was off, the political
    drama dry and some of the acting dry. Darth Maul was fascinating and mysterious with a super neat double-edge blade. Jar-Jar Binks was very annoying. Qui-Gon and
    Obi-Wan were excellent together and it was neat seeing Obi-Wan as an apprentice.

8. The Force Awakens -- Having seen it again, The Force Awakens has dropped significantly on my list. There are some great camera shots with excellent lighting, and I feel Adam
    Driver delivered and excellent acting performance. However, I feel the writing is extremely lazy and abysmal. Humor is forced and grating, and every new character was
    written poorly. Overall, a poor rehash of Episode IV. This being the start of a new trilogy in progress, it has severely dampened all excitement for the new trilogy, although
    I feel Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill and Chewbacca can save it if the tone resembles one similar to Game of Thrones in Episode XIII.

Alienware, TX-20 and Chancellor Yoda like this.
  17. Lukers

Lukers Jedi Master star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    The Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    The Force Awakens
    Return of the Jedi - second half
    Revenge of the Sith
    Rogue One
    Return of the Jedi - first half
    The Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones

18. SG-17

SG-17 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2017
    The first five are all very close in quality. The last three... well... you can guess.

1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. Return of the Jedi
    3. A New Hope
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Rogue One
    6. Revenge of the Sith
    7. The Phantom Menace
    8. Attack of the Clones

Strongbow likes this.
  19. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    ROTS- 10/10 SW at its most dramatic, action packed and creative

ESB- 9.5/10 A fun, exciting romp of the OT. Great locales and Vader is intimidating in this film

TPM- 9/10 Colorful, well-paced, and action packed in the beginning and end with a slow second half to build up the universe, an underrated masterpiece.

AOTC- 8/10 Weakest of the PT, but great mystery plot, fantastic final battle and the speeder chase scene is amazingly fun.

RO- 7/10 Horribly paced first half, with some bland acting, but amazing second half that makes the film worthwhile.

ANH- 6.5/10 Not a bad movie, but a definitely aged movie. Boring plot, mediocre characters, but the Death Star Escape is great fun.

ROTJ- 5/10 Worst of the OT and the OS. Bad action sequences, sets, and anticlimactic plot. Still, Luke fighting Jabba's men, and the final 10 minutes are beautiful.

TFA- 4/10 Most uninteresting, un-unique, and bland, relying on nostalgia, with the most forgettable climax in a SW movie. Still, the lightsaber duel is a good time.

Jedi Knight Fett and darkspine10 like this.
  20. JediRoxx

JediRoxx Jedi Knight

Jan 30, 2016
    ESB: 10/10 - Perfect!
    R1: 9/10 - Incredible.
    TFA: 9/10 - Fun & inspiring.
    ANH: 8.5 - Groundbreaking.
    RotS: 7.5/10 - Mostly good.
    RotJ: 7.5/10 - Blend of greatness & mediocrity.
    AotC: 5.5/10 - A colorful mess.
    TPM: 4.5/10 - Disappointing!

Bazinga'd likes this.
  21. Pacified_llama

Pacified_llama Jedi Master star 3

Sep 15, 2017
    ESB - Depth of storytelling and cinematography yet to be surpassed.
    ANH / ROTJ - as above, but these two suffer only from the challenges of having to open a franchise, and tie loose-ends together.
    ROTS - The closest in the PT to matching the depth of meaning echoed by the OT.
    TFA - Much of the strengths of the OT, but with some of the underlying detail removed and/or discarded.
    R1 - Excitingly fresh and unique, but ultimately a subsidiary chapter which satisfies the viewer's curiosity, rather than bearing a large thematic significance to the Saga's themes.
    TPM - A drastically new style, falling short of expectations but ultimately well crafted and technologically impressive.
    AOTC - A confusing film that wavers on intent/purpose - showing us events and details rather than building on meaning, ideas and depth of vision.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  22. DJT

DJT Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2017
    1. A New Hope
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. The Force Awakens
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. Rogue One
    6. Revenge of the Sith
    7. Attack of the Clones
    8. The Phantom Menace

I like them all but the one I like the most is A New Hope.

23. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    1. The Force Awakens: I truly believe that this is the definitive Star Wars experience. Everything good about the originals with amazing visuals, great acting, fun dialogue, and an amazing sense of flow and momentum.
    2. Rogue One
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    4. Empire Strikes Back
    5. A New Hope
    6. Return of the Jedi
    7. The Phantom Menace
    8. Attack of the Clones

24. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016