main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rank the Star Wars Films, TPM to The Last Jedi (Final Stats posted in Last Post)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Bazinga'd , Dec 12, 2017.

?

Which Film is Your Favorite

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

10 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

9 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

42 vote(s)
    20.9%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

24 vote(s)
    11.9%
  5. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

65 vote(s)
    32.3%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

13 vote(s)
    6.5%
  7. Episode VII: The Force Awakens

9 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

21 vote(s)
    10.4%
  9. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

8 vote(s)
    4.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TuskenGent

TuskenGent Jedi Padawan

Jan 30, 2016
    TESB
    TLJ
    TFA
    ANH
    ROTJ
    R1
    ROTS
    AOTC
    TPM

2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    1. Attack of the Clones
    2. Revenge of the Sith
    3. A New Hope
    4. The Empire Strikes Back
    5. The Phantom Menace
    6. Return of the Jedi
    7. The Last Jedi
    8. Rogue One
    9. The Force Awakens

3. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    1.ROTS

2.AOTC
    3.ESB
    4.ROTJ
    5.ANH
    6.TPM

7.TLJ

8.R1

9.TFA

4. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    This is after one viewing of the TLJ and so change is inevitable:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Star Wars

3. The Force Awakens
    4. The Last Jedi
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. Revenge of the Sith

7. Rogue One
    8. Attack of the Clones
    9. The Phantom Menace

TESB and ANH are firmly ranked at 1 and 2. Rankings for TFA, TLJ, ROTJ and ROTS could all change.

5. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    1. The Phantom Menace - 9.0
    2. Return of the Jedi - 9.0
    3. Rogue One - 8.5
    4. Revenge of the Sith - 8.0
    5. The Empire Strikes Back - 8.0
    6. The Last Jedi 7.5
    7. A New Hope 7.0
    8. Attack of the Clones 6.5
    9. The Force Awakens 6.5

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Darkslayer's Star Wars Film Rankings

1) Revenge of the Sith (10/10) - A masterpiece of a movie and my personal favorite film of all time. I have a hard time imagining anything topping it.

[​IMG]

2) Attack of the Clones (10/10) - Another masterpiece and used to be my favorite film when I was younger. The only reason it dropped is because as I have gotten older I appreciated the darkness of ROTS more. One of my 5 favorite films of all-time

[​IMG]

3) Return of the Jedi (10/10) - One of my 10 favorite films of all time. It amazingly ties up both the prequel and original trilogies, a crazy feat considering the prequels hadn't even yet been made when it came out. Also, the Battle of Endor is the most epic space battle in movie history IMO

[​IMG]

4) The Phantom Menace (10/10) - I love TPM, my only beef is that I wish we had gotten MORE films set in this time period, so it doesn't feel as fleshed out as the Clone Wars period covered in AOTC and ROTS. One of my 15 favorite films of all-time.

[​IMG]

5) Rogue One (10/10) - In my view, this film is the one true gem of the Disney era (so far at least). It adhered to everything George set up in his original mythology AND added to it. Bolstered by the fact that it made the already amazing ANH even better. Also in my top 15 films.

[​IMG]

6) A New Hope (10/10) - Made even better by Rogue One and the prequel trilogy, this movie continues the stories of 2 of the 3 remaining main characters of the PT and fleshes out the OT big 3 while giving incredible character moments and a gripping score. Again, in my top 15 films.

[​IMG]

7) The Empire Strikes Back (10/10) - This one has shifted over time. Before the Diseny era, I viewed it as a step below the other 5 Lucas entries. However, I have grown to appreciate it a lot more as I have gotten older. The slow pace still has it relatively low in my rankings, but make no mistake, I really enjoy it. In my top 25 films of all time.

[​IMG]

8) The Last Jedi (5/10) - I have a lot of respect for the risks taken in this film. However, nearly all of them did not work for me (I am going off of the Lucas 6 when forming my opinions). So although the film was much more entertaining than its predecessor because of its unpredictability and definitely had some awesome Star Wars-y moments, it doesn't even come close to the first seven films on my list. However, it's not a bad film either to me (I consider it a good movie but a bad Star Wars movie). It's just kinda there. At least it gives a lot to talk about.

[​IMG]

9) The Force Awakens (4/10) - In my opinion, this is the only truly bad live action Star Wars movie. It PLAGIARIZED the original film just because the filmmakers were nostalgic and afraid to take risks. There was stuff I liked, such as Daisy Ridley's Rey and Harrison Ford. However. just as ROTS will likely never end up being topped for me, TFA will most likely never be ranked above anything. I think it's both a bad movie and a bad Star Wars movie.

[​IMG]

As always, these are just my opinions. I'm not trying to force them on to anyone, but I do have the right to express them.Bazinga'd I hope I have done so fairly. Ultimately all the movies have aspects I enjoy and Star Wars is my favorite film franchise bar none!

[​IMG]

7. J7Luke

J7Luke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 30, 2017
    First off let me say that I love the stats page. It is a very interesting way to explore the popularity of the various films, and it really helps me to appreciate that each movie has its own strengths and weaknesses. With that being said, I will go ahead and give my ranking as best I can.

Disclaimer: The 9 Star Wars movies are my 9 favorite movies. They are all very, very close as far as ranking goes. In addition, my ranking is always in flux due to various factors. So my #1 ranking today could easily be #7 a month from now, and #9 could just as easily be #2 after that same time.

The Last Jedi: I know I'm in the minority here, but I had a really great time watching TLJ. To me, it was a great balance of all the things I love about Star Wars. I will not deny there were plenty of Really? moments as well, but they were easy to overlook. One thing I realized about the OT awhile ago is that those movies had the same things in them, they just became an accepted part of the movies over time.

Revenge of the Sith: I really liked the tone of this movie, and the duels in it were excellent. It is a really powerful movie that contains most of what I love about the prequels. Here is an explanation of what I really like about the PT, which I feel is best exemplified by RoTS.

Rogue One: This movie was really Star Wars-y and showcased entirely new (and well written) plot. It was refreshing to feel that familiar Star Wars feel and also get to explore all sorts of interesting back story. In addition, I found the scenes to be packed with meaning and emotion. It did a great job of capturing the good and the bad of both the Empire and the Rebellion.

Empire Strikes Back: I don't really need to explain this one.

Attack of the Clones: Yes this movie has its fair share of issues. The scenes involving Anakin and Padmé interacting are a little awkward at times. But there are some really great moments too. As an Obiwan fanboy, I feel like this movie is him in his prime. We get to see him in multiple thrilling fights. And you have to admit, the Battle of Geonosis is pretty cool.

A New Hope: The original Star Wars movie. This movie is always fun to watch, and it is neat to think that ANH is what started it all. There are lots of iconic moments in it that are the definition of Star Wars. At the same time, though, there are some scenes that move somewhat slow, and the duel between Vader and Obiwan isn't all that exciting. In other words, the movie is a bit aged. It's not the movies fault, but at the same time, I can't help but want to see Star Wars depicted with the realism that is possible with today's technology.

Return of the Jedi: This movie had some truly great moments. My favorites are the attack on Jabba's Sail Barge and the Luke, Vader, Palpatine confrontation on the Death Star. However, I am not a huge fan of the ewoks. They get a lot of focus, and to me they take away from what should be an amazing Rebels vs Empire fight for the fate of the galaxy. Watching heavily armored walkers get destroyed by teddy bears makes the Empire look idiotic. I mean, why would you leave such an incompetent group of soldiers to protect the most crucial planet in the entire galaxy?

The Phantom Menace: I don't have a problem with Jar Jar. He adds nothing to the movie for me, but he doesn't take too much away either. My biggest issues with the movie are the weird plot and the focus on "little Ani". For example, I could've really done without the 10 minute podracing scene that adds very little to the story or Ani's character development. The whole scene is almost comical. The redeeming factor of this movie is the duel with Obiwan, Qui-Gon Jinn, and Darth Maul. It is so well choreographed and the ending is so tense and emotional.

The Force Awakens: Watching this felt like watching ANH, but with new characters and a new look. I am fine with nods to the OT and the PT, but this movie took it a little to far. Also, it bothered me a little how fast Rey progressed with her force ability. I did, however, enjoy the fight on Takodana and the entire beginning of the movie (up until the Rathtar).

Darkslayer likes this.
  8. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    1. The Last Jedi
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. A New Hope
    4. Rogue One
    5. The Force Awakens
    6. Revenge of the Sith
    7. The Phantom Menace
    8. Return of the Jedi
    9. Attack of the Clones
    10. The Clone Wars

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

I haven't seen anything that suggests that you're in any minority.

10. J7Luke

J7Luke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 30, 2017
    I just meant in the thread. As far as the data sheet said, no one had put TLJ first yet.

EDIT: I see what you mean. I was trying to say I was in the minority of liking TLJ the most, not that no one else enjoyed it. lol

heels1785 likes this.
  11. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    A couple of interesting statistical tidbits ...

After 25 rankings, only TPM, ROTJ and TLJ have been ranked in all 9 possible places (i.e., every position from 1st to 9th).

With every new movie there are increasingly more different ways of ranking them. With 9 movies there are now 362,880 distinct permutations (that's 362 thousand!). For comparison, there were only 720 possible permutations when we were ranking the "original" 6 episodes.

This means that the possibility of two JCF members having the exact same ranking is now very small as there are less members (267k) than possible permutations.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darkslayer like this.
  12. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    Metacritic User Review Rankings (out of 10):

9.0 - The Empire Strikes Back
    8.7 - A New Hope
    8.3 - Return of the Jedi
    7.6 - Revenge of the Sith
    7.6 - Rogue One
    6.9 - The Force Awakens
    6.0 - The Phantom Menace
    5.9 - Attack of the Clones
    4.9 - The Last Jedi

13. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    1-A New Hope
    2-Empire Strikes Back
    3-The Last Jedi
    4-Rogue One
    5-The Force Awakens
    6-Return of the Jedi
    7-Revenge of the Sith
    8- The Phantom Menace
    9-Attack of the Clones

chemicalsam and heels1785 like this.
  14. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    1. ANH
    2. ESB
    3. ROTJ
    4. R1
    5. TFA
    6. TLJ
    7. ROTJ
    8. AOTC
    9. TPM

15. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    I've updated my sig with my personal rankings:

1. Empire Strikes Back - A masterpiece. Amazing from beginning to end and expanded the Star Wars universe in amazing and profound ways.
    2. A New Hope- Started it all. My fav parts being the suspenseful space battle at the end and classic Mos Eisley scenes.
    3. Revenge of the Sith - Epic duels all over the place. Darkest film of the saga.
    4. Rogue One - Slow at first but the last act of this movie was epic Star Wars
    5. Return of the Jedi - The worst of the OT IMO. This is when Lucas started focusing on toys and kids too much IMO
    6. The Last Jedi - A very entertaining movie on its own but I disagree with some of the character decisions made.
    7. The Force Awakens - Good screenplay but a blatant ripoff of A New Hope and violation of Star Wars lore (TLJ also continues this)
    8. The Phantom Menace - The last lightsaber duel is my favorite of the saga but Anakin and Jar Jar ruined most of the movie.
    9. Attack of the Clones - Darth Vader is a whiny smitten teenager who hates sand? Had a lot of potential but the acting, screenplay and CGI doesn't hold up.

16. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    You listed ROTJ twice :p

17. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

Fixed it lol.

18. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    ROTJ is the SW film I've seen the most as it was the first one I owned a copy of when I was a kid. I must have seen ROTJ over 50 times by now lol. :)

Darkslayer likes this.
  19. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    ROTJ was my favorite SW film - until I saw the prequels!

20. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    TESB
    RotS
    ANH
    RotJ
    R1
    TPM
    AotC

I'm having a really tough time giving a serious ranking for the new saga. Mainly because it feels like rating a 60 chapter book after only having read 40 chapters. There are quite a few scenes I like, but the long story (big picture) just seems to be falling apart to me. TFA really didn't fit that well with the Original 6. TLJ doesn't seem to fit well with the original 6 or TFA. There's some really great potential in both, but it really spotlights the multiple personality disorder of the storyteller(s). If this unifying vision was passed from George Lucas to Pablo Hidalgo, then maybe Pablo needs a mandatory two year vacation because I can't believe some of the stuff that has passed by the continuity proof reading phase.

People talked quite a bit about the Dave Filoni influence. These movies do feel a bit Filoni. Did I mention I don't really care for Filoni? Some very creative ideas, but also so REALLY bad ones as well. And, like Rebels, there really seems to be no big vision.

21. jimkenobi

jimkenobi Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 19, 2014
    ROTS
    ANH
    AOTC
    TPM
    TESB
    ROTJ
    TFA
    TLJ
    R1

22. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Yeah, Filoni is extremely overrated. George is what made TCW work. Rebels is what you get when you let him run amock without supervision.

Same thing with the new movies (except maybe Rogue One). The directors lack vision. Sure TESB and RotJ were by other directors, but they were entirely supervised by Lucas.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and DBPirate like this.
  23. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    1. ANH
    2. ESB
    3. ROTS
    4. TLJ
    5. ROTJ
    6. TFA
    7. AOTC
    8. TPM
    9. R1

24. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Rankings for now

1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. A New Hope
    3. Rogue One
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. Revenge of the Sith
    6. The Phantom Menace
    7. The Force Awakens
    8. The Last Jedi
    9. Attack of the Clones

25. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. A New Hope
    3. The Force Awakens
    4. The Last Jedi
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. Rogue One
    7. The Phantom Menace
    8. Attack of the Clones
    9. Revenge of the Sith

I could probably swap around 1 and 2, and I imagine that TLJ may eventually overtake TFA. AOTC used to be the only film that I approached the vicinity of 'hated'. I dislike ROTS more than the others just because it's the entire point of the prequel yet fails to fulfil on that premise while also damaging the OT. Rogue One is the most noticeable one that has dropped in the rankings for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.