main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rank the Star Wars Films, TPM to The Last Jedi (Final Stats posted in Last Post)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Bazinga'd , Dec 12, 2017.

?

Which Film is Your Favorite

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

10 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

9 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

42 vote(s)
    20.9%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

24 vote(s)
    11.9%
  5. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

65 vote(s)
    32.3%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

13 vote(s)
    6.5%
  7. Episode VII: The Force Awakens

9 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

21 vote(s)
    10.4%
  9. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

8 vote(s)
    4.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    The Phantom EOPIE>>>>The Last Jedi.

2. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    1. A New Hope
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. The Last Jedi
    5. Revenge of the Sith
    6. The Phantom Menace
    7. Rogue One
    8. The Force Awakens
    9. Attack of the Clones

3. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
    Hmm after seeing TLJ twice now I think I can rank it. Maybe after a while it'll change like TFA did but who knows.

Revenge of the Sith
    Return of the Jedi
    The Phantom Menace
    The Last Jedi
    Rogue One
    Attack of the Clones
    The Empire Strikes Back
    The Force Awakens
    A New Hope

Emperor Ferus and J7Luke like this.
  4. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Revenge of the Sith
    The Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    The Phantom Menace
    Rogue One
    Attack of the Clones
    Return of the Jedi
    The Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi - (A completely deflating experience; I'm bailing on the Sequel Trilogy.)

5. obi1jedinite

obi1jedinite Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2002
    1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. A New Hope
    3. The Last Jedi
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. Revenge of the Sith
    7. Rogue One
    8. The Phantom Menace
    9. Attack of the Clones

6. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    1. The Last Jedi
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. A New Hope
    4. Rogue One
    5. The Force Awakens
    6. Revenge of the Sith
    7. The Phantom Menace
    8. Return of the Jedi
    9. Attack of the Clones
    10. The Clone Wars

Darth Buzz and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  7. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    1. The Phantom Menace 10/10
    2. Attack of the Clones 10/10
    3. Revenge of the Sith 9/10
    4. Rogue One 8/10
    5. The Empire Strikes Back 8/10
    6. The Clone Wars 7/10
    7. Return of the Jedi 7/10
    8. A New Hope 6/10
    9. The Last Jedi 5/10
    10. The Force Awakens 3/10

MWPP294, Alienware, DBPirate and 3 others like this.
  8. Cheebo86

Cheebo86 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 1, 2003
    In my multiple decades of fandom going back to the original OT theatrical releases I have never been more confident than I am right now of this:
    Within 5 years TLJ will be the CONSENSUS best film in the franchise by fans. And everyone will be pretending like they always loved it.

Just like how ESB was extremely divisive on release and began to be appreciated and beloved a number of years after.

Anyway...

1. The Last Jedi (10/10)
    2. The Empire Strikes Back (10/10)
    3. A New Hope (9/10)
    4. Revenge of the Sith (9/10)
    5. Return of the Jedi (8/10)
    6. The Force Awakens (8/10)
    7. Rogue One (8/10)
    8. The Phantom Menace (7/10)
    9. Attack of the Clones (6/10)

Ratings are ratings only as "SW" films.

9. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    Honestly, this ranking isn't set in stone, but for the sake of science I'll give my initial thoughts. I really appreciated TLJ, but I keep finding more problems with TFA. I moved Rogue One down a rank, too, but I still adore that film.

1. Revenge of the Sith
    2. Return of the Jedi
    3. The Last Jedi
    4. A New Hope
    5. Rogue One
    6. The Force Awakens
    7. Empire Strikes Back
    8. The Phantom Menace
    9. Attack of the Clones

10. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    Well I am an OT fan all the way, so those three are my favorites kind of by default. Those films are pure and true Star Wars to me:

1) The Empire Strikes Back = It represents Star Wars at its very best. It advanced the story in ways we never imagined, raised the stakes, looks terrific, and features one of the greatest twists in film history. I'm no romantic by any stretch of the imagination, but if there is one romance I get sucked into, its Han and Leia. The acting has a lot to do with it and that perfect capstone in the Carbonite scene helps too, but there is just something sweet about finding love in the midst of darkness and chaos. If you're a fan of Darth Vader, then this is the definitive version of the franchise's most iconic bad guy. Also, Yoda is my all time favorite Star Wars character. I could sit here all day and talk about how much I love him in this movie.

2) Return of the Jedi = My one knock on this movie is the Death Star felt like a rehash. I would have rather they had done something like storm the Imperial City or something like that. Other than that, I love it. The Luke/Vader/Emperor plot thread, to me, is some of the best material in all of Star Wars. There are scenes where I am just hanging off every word every time I see it (that scene with Luke and Vader in the hallway is perfect). And it all builds to the emotional climax of the whole trilogy in a beautifully executed and satisfying moment. Also, I love the Jabba the Hutt stuff, mainly because they do such a good job of setting him up as a bad guy and its satisfying to see all the heroes reunite (keep in mind, they hadn't all been together since The Battle of Hoth) and get a huge victory after being knocked down for the entirety of the last film. And I have to say with no hint of shame that I like the Ewoks. They are warriors, hunters, and fighters, and in their own environment, yes, I buy that they can help the Rebels win the battle. And to me, it fits in thematically with what Star Wars has always been about. Spirit and determination can over take a seemingly unstoppable entity. How can a simple farm boy take down the Death Star? How can a little frog man be the wisest and most powerful Jedi in the universe? How can a simple slave child from a desert wasteland be the Chose One? How can a nobody scavenger be the next big hero? And yes, how can Teddy Bears stand up to the seemingly unbeatable might of the Empire. Star Wars does this type of thing all the time. The TV show and the movies? Yeah those aren't good, but I have no problem with them in Return of the Jedi.

3) A New Hope = Its the original grand adventure that started everything. It borrows from so many myths, legends, and films to create its own unique identity and memorable characters that remain icons to this day. These characters are so ingrained into my mind that they almost feel like family. I can't imagine myself not knowing who Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, Obi-Wan, C-3PO and R2-D2 are. I love them and their first great story together still stands as one of the all time great cinematic achievements. Compared to the other two films in the trilogy, it is the most "basic" but it works beautifully in introducing the characters, setting up the world, and giving us one of the most entertaining films ever made. And after all these years and all these movies, The Battle of Yavin is still the best and most dramatic space battle ever done in the series. I could watch it today and still be on the edge of my seat and fist pump when The Falcon comes flying in for the save! Its wonderful.

4) The Last Jedi = Controversy and debate surround this film like a dark storm. Whichever side of the fence you are on with this film, I don't think anyone can say it isn't ambitious. Rian Johnson wanted to evolve the series and take it into a new direction, and to be perfectly honest, I was mostly happy with the final result. It wasn't perfect, but it was the first Star Wars film that I felt challenged me and presented new ideas, concepts, and directions that leave me interested in seeing how it all plays out. I'll also say this: Empire Strikes Back, the one that typically gets praised as the best and I'd say is the most challenging from the OT, was not universally loved when it came out initially. I'll be very interested in seeing what the perception of this film is 15 years from now.

5) Rogue One = To be honest, the existence of this film is completely unnecessary. This story never needed to be told and you're not missing anything essential if you skip it. BUT, the film gave me exactly what I wanted out of it, which was A) The feel of an EU book come to life and B) Dirty Dozen in Space. I got those things and then some. I loved the gritty, war movie like feel of the film. It felt like we were getting a story from the POV of the nameless rebels that always get axed off in these type of films. The misfits, no names, and red shirts of the world get their day in the spotlight here, and I honestly liked most of the characters. They aren't at that iconic level of the OT characters, but they aren't mean tot be. This is a story for the B-listers and how they make an impact in the grand scheme of things. Also, when its all said and done, this film ended up being a nice companion piece to A New Hope. I've watched Rogue One twice, and both times I followed it up immediately by popping on A New Hope.

6) The Force Awakens = I fully agree with the criticism that this movie is "A New Hope again" and that they played it WAY too safe. That is a completely valid strike against the film, and I rolled my eyes in the theater when Starkiller Base was introduced into the film. Yay! Another Death Star! (which they literally called in the film). All of that said, I feel like this film did reintroduce us to the world of Star Wars and was an overall fun and exciting adventure. And there are some truly great moments peppered throughout the film. Han Solo was the perfect choice to be sort of the bridge between the old and the new and fits in like a glove, and that last lightsaber fight is effectively shot and presented. This film has its flaws that are big enough to keep it from classic status, but it is still perfectly enjoyable.

7) Revenge of the Sith = In many ways, this is the most frustrating Star Wars film. As someone who doesn't passionately hate the prequels but am perfectly happy point out their flaws, there are moments in Revenge of the Sith that are legitimately brilliant. The Order 66 scene (with my favorite acting moment from CGI Yoda), the Opera House scene (the best scene in the PT), and even that dialogue-less scene of Anakin and Padme looking off into the horizon with that haunting music playing (kind of a twisted version of the binary sunset scene from ANH). Those moments are truly great, which makes it kind of disappointing when the worst elements of the prequels come into play. The bad acting, the lousy dialogue, the overreliance on CGI all really drag the film down from what it could have been., Still the great moments still shine through and give us an idea of what the prequels could have been.

8) The Phantom Menace = I got back and forth on whether or not I like TPM or AOTC more, but today I'm leaning more towards TPM as being the better movie. I could criticize this movie till the cows come home: Jar Jar is annoying, the story starts too early in the timeline to feel like it matters, the action sequences (namely the podrace) drag way too long, the dialogue is stilted, and the acting is wooden. All of that said, TPM is probably the best looking of the PT films and has aged the best in that regard. I mean the CGI in that one still looks OK (Jar Jar looks totally believable ch
    actually). Look at 2 and 3. It looks like the actors were inserted into a video game most of the time, but this one looks at least a little more organic. Also, Darth Maul is a legitimately threatening and intimidating presence whenever he is around (him barely speaking only enhances this vibe).

9) Attack of the Clones = The real killer of this film is the Anakin/Padme romance which feels like a horrible precursor to what Twilight ultimately became. There is no charm to them when they are together, and aside from his looks, I have no idea what Padme sees in him. He's not even like a cool bad boy. He's just a whiny mush mouth. It also bewilders me that she's being hunted by assassins and that side of the story has no drama or tension. I mean she's being hunted and they never get into any danger until going to Geonosis? Also, this film is where the CGI usage went too far to the point that it did look very much like a video game. Still there are elements I like. The Obi-Wan/Jango Fett story had more intrigue to it and their lone fight was a nice knock down, drag out affair. And Christopher Lee always classes things up, even if his character is kind of pointless.

And they weren't included in the poll, but Star Wars: Clone Wars, The Holiday Special, and the 1st Ewok movie are garbage. They are so bad, they are nearly unwatchable. The 2nd Ewok movie? Its dumb, sure, but it has its moments. The opening is probably the most shockingly dark start to a movie about cute teddy bears that I have ever seen.

Darth Caliban and Earth Jedi like this.
  11. Darth Weavile

Darth Weavile Jedi Master star 3

Oct 10, 2017
    [​IMG]

That is a... bold prediction.

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002

Ouch, I feel for you given how optimistic you were about Johnson.

Darkslayer and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  13. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Ezekiel: Yeah. It was the same feeling I had after walking out of The Dark Knight Rises. Asking myself, "How could such a brilliant artist create...this?"

It's okay, though. I never had a connection to the characters and conceits of the Sequel Trilogy, so my TLJ experience allows me to abandon the Disney enterprise and return to Lucas's operatic, idiosyncratic, (sublimely) silly sextet. (Even the worst parts of ROTJ and AOTC--my least favorite of his--are beginning to be imbued with a peculiar sheen.)

14. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    1. ROTS
    2. ESB
    3. TPM
    4. AOTC
    5. ANH
    6. TLJ
    7.ROTJ
    8. RO
    9. TFA

15. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    ROTJ
    RO
    TESB
    ANH
    TFA
    TLJ
    Caravan of Courage
    AOTC
    TPM
    ROTS

16. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    The Last Jedi
    Return of the Jedi
    The Empire Strikes Back
    The Force Awakens
    Attack of the Clones
    Rogue One
    The Phantom Menace
    Star Wars
    Revenge of the Sith

17. Gembo

Gembo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2017
    1.TLJ
    2.ANH
    3.ESB
    4.TFA
    5.ROTS
    6.RO
    7.ROTJ
    8.TPM
    9.AOTC

18. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    TPM=ANH
    ROTS=ROTJ
    AOTC=ESB
    —————————
    TFA
    R1
    The Last Prequel.

19. Rock-N-Roll Jedi

Rock-N-Roll Jedi Jedi Knight

Feb 29, 2016
    1. TESB
    2. ANH
    3. TFA
    4. ROTJ
    5. TLJ
    6. RO
    7. ROTS
    8. AOTC
    9. TPM

20. DarthEndus

DarthEndus Jedi Knight

Jan 12, 2016
    1. TLJ
    2. TFA
    3. ANH
    4. ESB
    5. RO
    6. ROTS
    7. TPM
    8. ROTJ
    9. AOTC

21. TuskenTourniquet

TuskenTourniquet Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2015
    #9 Phantom Menace 3.5/10: Stilted acting for the most part and a poor script. There are some cool characters, Qui Gon Jinn is a great rebellious Jedi and it's interesting to see his influence on Obi Wan. Darth Maul is one of the coolest looking villains in the saga and is killer in the lightsaber battles, but isn't given enough to do. Furthermore, there is a set of really weak characters and groups in this film. Jar Jar Binks is the worst character in the entire saga and he's freaking everywhere. The gungans in general are an annoying species and the nemoidians and droid army are totally underwhelming villains. Then there's Ani. I don't want to hate on a kid actor, but he's really, really bad. He seems like he's acting in a cheerios commercial, not a Star Wars movie. Ultimately, the battles feel really low stakes. I'm not worried about the droid army, I'm not worried about about the space battle, or who will win the podrace. Really, only the lightsaber fights have any genuine tension, and to be fair they're excellent. Overall, I can't really make it through this movie anymore. I can skip through it to watch the scenes I like, but there are just too many flaws in it.

#8 Attack of the Clones 6/10: Much better than its predecessor, but still quite flawed. I don't like the direct pulls from "our world" such as the Space New York Diner and Space Sports Bar. They pull me out of the film. Likewise, some of the CGI pulls me out of the movie (i.e. when Anakin rides the shaak). I do find Obi Wan's arc fairly interesting and McGregor is on it in this film. On the other hand, the Anakin/Padme arc is awful. The script is particularly brutal in that stretch and Chrsitensen's performance is really poor. However, the closing act goes a long way in redeeming the movie. The coliseum is great action and the way it suddenly unfolds into a full-on war is awesome. Lee slays as Count Dooku and the closing lightsaber battles are again killer.

#7 Revenge of the Sith 7/10: I really want to love this movie, but ultimately I only like it. The opening space battle and following saber fight is compelling. The Obi Wan vs. Grevious stuff isn't particularly high stakes, but is still engaging to watch. Any scene with McDiamird is killer, especially the opera scene. I love the way he gradually baits Anakin into turning to the dark side. Christensen still isn't good in this movie, but he's certainly a lot better than in AotC. There are a few bad reads, but overall, he plays the character in a more mature way. What irks me is the Jedi seem so incompetent in battle and just get gutted and shot down with ease, which totally contradicts what we've seen up to this point in the prequals. Still, once Anakin turns, the movie is off the hook. The slaying of the younglings, the slaying of the nemodians, force-choking Padme... all of it is so tense. Then, there's the the battle between Obi Wan and Anakin, and the creation of Vader. All just thrilling. And then, there's "nooooooo..." and Padme dying of a broken heart to pull the film back down at the end. On the other hand, there's Vader, the Emperor, and Tarkin staring at the Death Star and Padme's funeral, which are beautifully shot. It's a movie I feel really conflicted about because there's so much I love and so much that really annoys me.

#6 Return of the Jedi 7.5/10: Similar to ROTS, the things I love about this movie I absolutely love. Jabba's palace is awesome and everything that happens there is totally fun (though Boba Fett going out like a punk is still frustrating). Excellent world-building. Everything involving Luke, Vader and the Emperor is phenomenal. This is the spiritual culmination of the entire first six films and is beautifully played. However, the other parts of the second act of the film are really flawed. The Ewoks defeating an advanced army is super annoying and implausible. I also can't stand the way the Empire's fleet just falls like flies, especially the Super Star Destroyer crashing from one ship crashing into it (how terrible must these imperial engineers be?). There just seems to be a lot of shortcuts taken in this movie. Even Death Star II feels like the easy way out. Ultimately, it's a tribute to how great the Luke/Vader/Emperor stuff that the film scores as high as it does.

#5 Rogue One 8/10: A strange movie in that I absolutely love all the B characters, but feel neutral on the two stars. I love Chirut and Baze, K-2SO, Saw, Bohdi, etc. However, I felt very little for Jyn and Cassian. They just didn't feel flushed out like the other characters did. Now, all the battles in this movie are phenomenal and I love the closing act where each character has to sacrifice themselves to save the galaxy. I also enjoy the political infighting between Takin and Krenick. Then there's that Vader scene at the end. So freaking amazing. It still gives me chills.

#4 The Force Awakens 8.5/10: I absolutely love all the characters in this film. Kylo Ren is absolutely compelling from the start and Finn is one of the most relatable and enjoyable characters in the saga. Rey is simultaneously approachable and mysterious and the gradual reveal of who she is and what she can do is well played. It's awesome seeing Han in the "Obi Wan" role and brings his character arc come full circle. Kylo Ren killing Han is one of the most powerful moments and most key pivot points of the entire saga. What I don't like is some of the blatant "hey remember this Star Wars!" moments, i.e. Cantina Part 2, Trench Run Part 2, Death Star Part 3, etc. I can deal with some of the smaller rehashes that are better played, but there were a few that were just too blatant. On the other hand, the lightsaber battles are really raw and visceral and the closing scene is just chilling.

#3 The Last Jedi 9/10:
    Still could move down with more viewings (doubt it's moving up), but I think overall this is a really great film with two points that I don't like. First, Space Leia makes no sense to me. I guess it's just the "Force doing what it does," but it felt quite out of place. Also, why wasn't everyone on the ship blown away when they saw that happen? They seemed to just take it in stride. Second, I can't stand Space Las Vegas for the same reason I didn't like Space New York Diner and Space Sports Bar. It's too transparent of a reference and it pulls me out of the film. I DO like the idea of showing that capitalists are profiting off of this endless cycle of war, but the execution could have been done much better. Now on to all the things that are great in this film. The things it does with the Force is absolutely brilliant. I love everything Luke says about the Force and love the way the shots are done. The Rey/Kylo mind-meld was exquisitely executed and has so much depth and complexity to their relationship. It seems like they are in love, but due to their opposing energies and choices bound to be opposed to each other. It's really one of the more beautiful things I've seen executed in Star Wars. The Snoke scenes are great and all set up Kylo to be one of the most powerful and terrifying villains in the saga. By outsmarting his master and destroying him, Kylo Ren has become one of the most imposing villains in a saga full of imposing villains. Then there's Luke's astral projection which is one of the brilliant and well-played "gotcha" moments I've seen. Luke's death and transcendence into the Force was absolutely beautifully done. It's one of those moments that ties the whole saga together in a really satisfying way. Beyond that, I liked the space battles and thought they were realistically played out. I loved that every Resistance plan backfires until the very. It made the final escape feel well-earned. I also thought the Poe and Finn arcs were well done and resulted in some genuine and well-earned development. Rose is a great additional and an excellent foil to Finn. Lastly, the animals were all really cool and well played, even the porgs which I thought I would hate were entertaining.

#2 A New Hope: 10/10: What's left to say about this movie? It's an introduction to the world of Star Wars. Phenomenal storytelling and world building. So many great characters and so many great settings. I can barely point to a scene I don't love. I guess the storm troopers shooting skills are implausibly bad. But beyond that, it's pretty much a masterwork.

#1 Empire Strikes Back: 10/10: Again, what's left to say about this movie? It raises the stakes of ANH, deepens the mythology of the Force, develops all the characters we love and introduces a ton of new great ones, as well as some awesome worlds. It has a phenomenal script that is funny, sharp, and profound. Yoda's lessons are simply awe-inspiring. Then, of course, there is the most powerful twist in the history of cinema. Again, a masterwork.

TX-20 and J7Luke like this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Favorite to least favorite:

1. Return of the Jedi
    2. Empire Strikes Back
    3. A New Hope
    4. Rogue One
    5. Attack of the Clones
    6. The Phantom Menace
    7. The Last Jedi
    8. The Force Awakens
    9. Revenge of the Sith

MS1, TX-20, Darkslayer and 2 others like this.
  23. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    2. The Last Jedi
    3. A New Hope
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Return of th Jedi
    6. Revenge of the Sith
    7. Attack of the Clones
    8. The Phantom Menace

I really don’t feel like I can fairly rank Rogue One against the other eight since it’s deliverstely not meant to stand amongst them. I’d feel more comfortable ranking it with Solo and any other future standalone films.

TX-20 and J7Luke like this.
  24. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    It is ridiculously interesting seeing how TLJ falls with people. I've seen it fall in the middle, dead last, top, near top, near bottom, and exempt entirely. It's incredible.

MS1, Darkslayer and J7Luke like this.
  25. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    2. A New Hope
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Revenge of the Sith
    6. The Phantom Menace
    7. Rogue One
    8. The Last Jedi