main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rank the Star Wars Films, TPM to The Last Jedi (Final Stats posted in Last Post)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Bazinga'd , Dec 12, 2017.

?

Which Film is Your Favorite

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

10 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

9 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

42 vote(s)
    20.9%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

24 vote(s)
    11.9%
  5. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

65 vote(s)
    32.3%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

13 vote(s)
    6.5%
  7. Episode VII: The Force Awakens

9 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

21 vote(s)
    10.4%
  9. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

8 vote(s)
    4.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ppslytherin1994

ppslytherin1994 Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2017

What's this ST and RO you speak of??? From where the series stands right now, the Saga ended with Return of the Jedi.

2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Let me also introduce you to the concept and well established rule against bashing or flaming any particular movie or trilogy. There are ways of saying you dont like a particular movie or series of movies a lot without pretending they dont exist.

3. ppslytherin1994

ppslytherin1994 Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2017

Look all I did was gave my ranking of the films. I didn't write anything inappropriate and nor am I bashing anyone's tastes or bashing any of the movies. I simply just ranked the first six movies because I thought it'd be more appropriate and honest about how I feel about and I don't think you want to know my real thoughts on the recent films.

Sounds to me like you're just offended by my ranking because I ranked your two least favorite Star Wars films as MY favorite.

4. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I could care less what anyone's rankings are. I do care that when you pretend a movie does not exist when it does, you are baiting a response from someone who does care which leads to flaming.

5. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 1, 2017
    1. ANH 10
    2. TESB 10
    3. TFA 9
    4. TLJ 8
    5. R1 7.5
    6. ROTJ 6.5
    7. TPM 6
    8. AOTC 5
    9. ROTS 5

TX-20 and Darth Downunder like this.
  6. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    The more I think about TLJ, the less I am starting to like it, with my main complaint being Luke's storyline. May have to post an updated ranking.

7. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    1. ESB 9.8
    2. ANH 9.7
    3. TLJ 9.6
    4. TFA 9.5
    5. R1 9
    6. ROTJ 8
    7. ROTS 8
    8. AOTC 6
    9. TPM 5.5

8. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Mesa back. I'm marathoning the saga, with RotJ still to go, but I'm confident in my new ranking, which is radically different from the previous one I posted days ago.

1. RotS
    2. TPM
    3. AotC
    4. ANH
    5. RotJ
    6. TESB

7. Rogue One

8. TFA & TLJ (TLJ climbed up a notch after a second viewing)

9. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I just got back from TLJ, so I haven't really settled, it's unlikely to shift much either way, even if it does change.

III: ROTS is the perfect Star Wars movie in my POV. It's got the story, the characters, the scale, best cast of villains in the saga by far, and it all comes together so perfectly.
    II: Similarly to III, I love AOTC, the battle was beautifully rendered, I love the characters, the romance arc, the pacing, it just works.
    I: TPM works wonderfully, really this whole era is amazing and it's sad it doesn't get much attention. It's perhaps the most lighthearted in the saga, but that lightheartedness suits it's purpose. Besides certain political differences, (Which are easy to ignore), I have no real complaints.
    R1: This setting was perhaps a safe choice for the first spinoff, but Rogue One was very well done. The OT nostalgia was a bit blatant, but it works here because it is set immediately before episode IV. I also like that they basically cut all loose ends by the end of the film. Not to mention it had a more than a few prequel references too, which just felt right.
    VI: ROTJ was a very well done conclusion to Lucas's saga. seeing the Ghosts at the end really sums up the whole saga.
    V: ESB is darkest of the OT, good to see Yoda again, even if he's a silly looking muppet. Given the time frame this was made I give it a pass. I liked Cloud city, and Lando is an interesting character.
    VIII: At least The Last Jedi goes it's own way. Don't agree with a few story decisions, but over all it is a fine addition to the saga. Most of my complaints revolve around things it inherited from VII.
    IV: A New Hope may have been quiet the looker once upon a time, but it certainly hasn't aged well in my POV. Not just the low tech, and a few outdated comments from certain characters, it has simply become cliché over time. I give it credit for being the original though.
    VII: And The Force Awakens was anything but original. Obviously they were terrified of going out on the limb so basically retreaded the OT. It just felt so forced.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  10. Blade Of Kenobi

Blade Of Kenobi Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 18, 2012
    Well, looks like I spoke too soon. [face_sigh]

I love the six films in the Original Saga equally; they all have their flaws, but their strengths far outweigh their flaws and they tell a compelling, cohesive, and epic story. I cannot say the same for the new movies. If I had to rank them this would be my order of preference. I don't consider the new films canon and I'm only ranking them for statistical reasons.

1.) The Empire Strikes Back
    2.) Revenge Of The Sith
    3.) The Phantom Menace
    4.) A New Hope
    5.) Attack Of The Clones
    6.) Return Of The Jedi
    7.) Rogue One
    8.) TFA
    9.) TLJ

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  11. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Just got back from my first viewing of The Last Jedi, so my rankings may change some.

1. TLJ
    2. TFA
    3. R1
    4. ROTS
    5. ESB
    6. ANH
    7. RotJ
    8. TPM
    9.AotC

12. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    ESB
    ANH
    ROTJ
    ROTS
    R1
    TFA
    TPM
    AOTC
    TLJ

Out of curiosity it seems like general consensus that ROTS is loads better than AOTC and TPM. After watching them all what do people think accounts for the better acting, story and effects?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Haytham

Haytham Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 28, 2016
    Upon multiple viewings I feel pretty confident putting TLJ in the top spot. This movie just sticks with me and I still can't quite believe it exists in this form. I got everything I wanted and even things I did not even dare to wish for anymore.

The Last Jedi
    Return of the Jedi
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Rogue One
    Revenge of the Sith
    The Force Awakens
    A New Hope
    Attack of the Clones
    The Phantom Menace

Damn, but I now feel bad how "low" TFA has slid in the last year. But I suppose that speaks more to the strenght of Rogue One and the lasting appeal of RotS than anything else.

Frank T. likes this.
  14. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    You can hardly be blamed for this given that it is, by far, one of the most interesting and multifaceted films in the entire saga.

15. Ren Kylo

Ren Kylo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 23, 2015
    1) Empire Strikes Back
    2) A New Hope
    3) Return of the Jedi
    4) Rogue One
    5) The Force Awakens
    6) The Last Jedi
    7) Revenge of the Sith
    8) The Phantom Menace
    9) Attack of the Clones

16. KamenSentaiMetalHero

KamenSentaiMetalHero Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2017
    That's how I rank it, I leave out Rogue One because it's not apart of the Skywalker Saga
    This is an updated ranking of the films
    1.ROTS
    2.TLJ
    3.TFA
    4.AOTC
    5.TESB
    6.ANH
    7.TPM
    8.ROTJ

17. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    Rogue One
    Return Of The Jedi
    The Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    The Last Jedi
    The Force Awakens
    Revenge Of The Sith
    Attack Of The Clones
    The Phantom Menace

TLJ, TFA and ROTS could change a bit after I see TLJ again. I go back and forth on ROTS and TFA. I hate ranking the OT as I think all three are excellent in their own way. I'm still surprised by how much I loved R1, I would've never expected it to be my new favorite SW film going into the theater last year.

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Agree with the sentiment on Rogue One, I had a hard time seeing anything from Disney being as good as the original six, but boy was I happy to be proven wrong!

19. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    1. The Last Jedi - Epic, surprising, funny, deep, dramatic, ballsy. Everything I could want in a Star Wars movie
    2. The Empire Strikes Back - Another perfect blend of all the Star Wars elements. The only reason TLJ is higher, is because the visuals are more updated and the battle scenes are slightly more dynamic. Other than that, they both have the same repeat value to me.
    3. Return of the Jedi - On a personal level, it's my 2nd favorite because Vader turning good had a profound psychological impact on me as a kid. But the movie as a whole is not as smooth as Empire or TLJ. The Emperor and Space battle scenes more than make up for the ewoks, though.
    4. The Force Awakens - To my mind, the fastest paced and most cheerful of all the Star Wars movies, despite Han's death. Doesn't feel like it has a lot of substance, though, as it exists primarily to set up the characters and situation of the ST.
    5. Revenge of the Sith - The darkest and most emotional of the series. If only it was more competently written and directed, it would have a higher spot.
    6. A New Hope - Fun adventure, but way too slow at the beginning and not as much visual variety as the other movies
    7. The Phantom Menace - Boring movie to watch for the most part, but steady storytelling.
    8. Attack of the Clones - By turns cool looking, and embarrassing, it has the lowest spot purely because the Anakin/Padme romance was not handled believably, and that ruins the believability of Anakin's journey. The romance scenes in this one and the Jar Jar scenes in TPM were equally embarrassing, but the saga hinders on the romance here, so it gets a lower score.

Steve McGarrett and J7Luke like this.
  20. Knoah

Knoah Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2017
    ROTS
    ANH
    TPM
    RO
    AOTC
    ESB
    ROTJ
    TLJ
    TFA

Darkslayer and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  21. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    After several viewings, I feel RO has enough to move ahead of ANH.

TFA
    TESB
    TLJ
    RO
    ANH
    ROTJ
    ROTS
    TPM
    AOTC

Steve McGarrett likes this.
  22. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    1. ROTS
    2. ESB
    3. ANH
    4. AOTC
    5. ROTJ
    6. TLJ
    7. TPM
    8. RO
    9.TFA

This is my list after only seeing TLJ once. It's possible it's position could change once the DVD comes out.

23. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    AOTC
    ROTS
    ANH
    TPM
    ROTJ
    ESB
    RO
    TFA
    TLJ

24. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Return of the Jedi
    3. Rogue One
    4. Revenge of the Sith
    5. A New Hope
    6. The Force Awakens
    7. The Last Jedi
    8. The Phantom Menace
    9. Attack of the Clones

25. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I love all of the Star Wars films. But none besides the original stand on their own.

1. Star Wars. I saw this twice in the summer of 1977, and twice again on its second run. I own this film on Beta, VHS, laser disc OT & SE, DVD SE & letterbox OT, and in the original bluray box set. I own the soundtrack, my most-played album of all time, on the original LP, CD, Anthology box set, and SE CD.
    2. The Empire Strikes Back. I saw this about 4-5 times in 1980. Just about a perfect film. SE good: Ian. SE bad: "Bring my shuttle!". The most egregious SE error, worse than Greedo's blaster going off prematurely.

[Slight gap. #3-5 are close to five-star SW films.]
    3. Revenge Of The Sith. My theatre record-holder: 17 times. Most of what I'd been waiting for since 1977.
    4. The Last Jedi. Five viewings to date: very likely at least one or two more. Mark Hamill is awesome.
    5. The Force Awakens. Seven theatre viewings for Ep. VII.

6. Return Of The Jedi. This is the most problematic film to rank. When it first was released, it was my favorite film for at least three or four years. The Jedi/Sith scenes and the space battle over Endor are grade A material. The parts on Tatooine are a notch down, and the parts on Endor even less watchable these days. I'm not an Ewok-hater, but still, the film as a whole has not aged as well as its predecessors. Oh, I saw this about 5-6 times in 1983. On Saturday of the opening weekend, while waiting in line for a matinee, I got spoiled when some ******* walked out of the prior show and shouted to everyone in line, "Darth Vader kills the Emperor!".

[Another slight gap. Still way more good than bad in #7-9. Each has at least a few killer scenes.]
    7. Rogue One. Saw this three times in the theatre - busy schedule plus knowledge of bluray release in four months.
    8. Attack Of The Clones. Saw this about 13-14 times in the theatre.
    9. The Phantom Menace. Saw this about 12-13 times in the theatre. Sitting through the Saga exposition and Gungan menace is still made tolerable by the Theed lightsaber battle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.