main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rank what you love about the SW movies

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Carbon1985, Oct 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I chose a criteria of 8 different aspects of the SW movies, and you can rank them from favorite to least favorite as what appeals to you about the movies.

-Characters: Luke, Leia, Han, Anakin, Padme, Obiwan, Darth Vader, Yoda, The Emperor, Chewbacca, R2D2, etc.

-Special Effects: CGI, Models, etc.

-Lightsaber Duels: Obiwan vs Vader, Luke vs Vader, QuiGon/Kenobi vs Darth Maul, etc.

-Planets: Tatooine, Mustafar, Coruscant, Endor, Hoth, etc.

-Large Scale Action Scenes: The Yavin Battle, The Geonosis Battle, The DeathStar II battle, etc.

-Small Scale Action Scenes: Millenium Falcon Asteroid Chase in ESB, Anakin's Podrace in TPM, Luke/Leia Speed Bike Chase in ROTJ, etc.

-Mythology: All of the scenes that deal with the Star Wars mythology. Example Obiwan talking to Luke in ROTJ on Dagobah, Emperor talking to Anakin about Darth Plaguis, etc.

-Macro Story: The overall story of each movie, or each trilogy, or the saga.

2. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    1. Macro Story -I simply love the Star Wars story
    2. Characters -The relationship between the characters and the story is symbiotic, so they are basically tied.
    3. Mythology
    4. Large Scale Action Scenes
    5. Lightsaber Battles
    6. Small Scale Battles
    7. Special Effects
    8. Planets

Carbon1985 likes this.
  3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    This is a neat idea for a thread.

(Not sure what my rankings would be yet... just wanted to say that).

Carbon1985 likes this.
  4. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    1. Characters are definetly what drew me to Star Wars. Can't beat Luke, Leia and Han for chemistry and likeability in a movie.

2. Mythology is what seperates Star Wars from most summer franchises. I love all the conversations that further the mythology of the galaxy. Hopefully the ST continues that tradition.

3. Macro Story is another thing that seperates Star Wars from most summer franchises. I love Luke's journey in the OT, and enjoy the creation of the Empire in the PT and how Palpatine came to power.

4. Large Scale Action Scenes are epic in each movie, and sort of define them when they standalone.

5. Lightsaber Battles are as fun and as essential as a Rocky movie training montage. Some are better then others, as I probably enjoy the ones with more dialogue and trash talking.

6. Small Scale Action Scenes are very underrated and sometimes get lost in the movies. While the Asteroid Chase in ESB usually gets it's due among the fans, The Millenium falcon exiting the deathstar fighting the tie-fighers gets lost in the shuffle sometimes, as it has one of the best lines by Han, "Great shot, but don't get cocky kid!"

7. Planets are a big part of Star Wars movies, as there is something new to explore with each sequel/prequel.

8. Even though I am ranking Special Effects last, I don't want to diminish the impact they have had on movies. I just put it last because I wouldn't be a fan if it were only about special effects, and the 7 other criteria I listed makes the movies my favorite franchise of any movie franchise.

5. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    That's difficult.

1.) Characters / Macro story:
    I can't really separate those. They are heavily connected. I love Anakin's story, I love Luke's story, I love Padmés fate...I also love Palpatine's rise to power, democracies falling and Darth Vader's return to humanity. That's number one.

2.) Planets
    Planets are essential. I a lot of times they reinforce themes in the story or emotional situations of the characters. Naboo is paradise, Mustafar is hell, Kamino (stormy water world) is a source of life (clones) and place of the beginning of the end of peace (a storm is coming), Coruscant is overly reliant of technology (decadent), Hoth marks the coldest hours for the rebellion...

3.) Mythology
    I'm a fan of it. I like when the Force is more layered than "a mysterious energy field". I like Palpatine's teachings and implications. I like Yoda's teachings. I like to think about the pros and cons of the Jedi's philosophy (emotional detachment).

4.) Lightsaber battles
    They are probably the Star Wars brand. I love the variety: from the spiritual, symbolic "clash of cultures/philosphies" in TPM to the forshadowing AOTC fights to the very personal fights in TESB and ROTJ. I love them all.
    Look at that shot:
    [​IMG]
    It captures Obi-Wan's impatience, Qui-Gon's Jedi-like calmness and Darth Maul's Sith-like aggression in one single picture. It more obvious and works much better with moving images, but you get the idea ;)

5.) Large Scale Action Scenes: They can be entertaining but they are not what attracts me the most to Star Wars.
    On a bit of an unconventional note: Geonosis is probably my favourite ground battle.

6.) Small Scale Action Scenes: Not really interested. I think they shoudl at least have an impact on the story which is the case with the pod race (although it's too long) for example. I don't really care for both asteriod chases, speeder bike chases etc.

6. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    1. The fact that it is NOT sci-fi. It's a space fantasy that took place long ago and has absolutely nothing to do with our world.
    2. The Grand scale of it all. Probably the largest out of ay films ever made.
    3. The visuals are all outstanding.
    4. The force and all the mythology that comes with it.
    5. The amazing characters
    6. Lightsabers
    7. The sheer diversity of it. There seems to be no-limits of what they come up with.

7. Pax Bandica

Pax Bandica Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2013
    Star Wars embodies my childhood. Those moments playing with a bunch of old action figures, using a painted shoe box as Mos Eisley cantina. Those memories will be with me forever. As I get older the world gets smaller but when I close my eyes I'll always have those grander moments, when the world I lived in felt infinite. The movies take me back to those moments.

Sent from my Secure-A3 comlink

8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    1. the characters - Luke , Vader , R2 , Han Leia , Yoda , great chemistry , great characters

2. The art direction . I remember seeing pictures of the x-wing , sandcrawler , death star sets , Tatooine , landspeeder etc. and just loving it , it looked so well realised , and cool , far more espansve and 'real' than any other SF movie . joe johnston , Mcquarrie , John Barry , Stuart Freeborn , these guys really are giants

3. the story . I really think Lucas doesn't get enough applause for his storytelling , ANH has such a brilliant story , it's outrageous in its scope and yet works because its so well told .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.