Rankings for 2010-11 NFL Head Coaches

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by JediMaster1511, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster1511 Force Ghost

star 9
    A poll has been released for the NFL's head coaches, here.

The top 10 are in this order.

1. Bill Belichick
    2. Sean Payton
    3. Jeff Fisher
    4. Mike Shanahan
    5. Mike Tomlin
    6. Andy Reid
    7. Tom Coughlin
    8. Ken Whisenhunt
    9. John Harbaugh
    10. Rex Ryan

The rest of the list is as follows:

11. Mike McCarthy
    12. Jim Caldwell
    13. John Fox
    14. Brad Childress
    15. Wade Phillips
    16. Mike Smith
    17. Tony Sparano
    18. Marvin Lewis
    19. Norv Turner
    20. Lovie Smith
    21. Mike Singletary
    22. Jack Del Rio
    23. Pete Carroll
    24. Gary Kubiak
    25. Eric Mangini
    26. Josh McDaniels
    27. Todd Haley
    28. Chan Gailey
    29. Tom Cable
    30. Jim Schwartz
    31. Raheem Morris
    32. Steve Spagnuolo

So do you agree? Who would you rank where?
  2. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    I saw lol that Reid is in there in the top 30, let alone at #6.

I bet that SLR will agree, and he's a hardcore Philly fan.

3. JediMaster1511 Force Ghost

star 9
    I thought it was pretty funny in the article for the player quotes on the coaches, they used Leinart for Whisenhunt.
  4. xblackout Force Ghost

star 4
  5. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Pete Carroll is a dud NFL coach, he should be very low.
  6. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Should Sean Peyton be that high? Sure, he just won the Super Bowl, but I don't know if he's the second best coach in the league.
  7. Krusty_the_Clone Jedi Master

star 4
    He should be #1, belicheck is a cheater.
  8. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    I think Sean Peyton needs another great season to prove that he belongs in that #2 spot.
  9. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    So Fisher starts off 0-7 last season, yet he deserves the #3 spot? I wonder if it's because he wore that Manning jersey.
  10. JediMaster1511 Force Ghost

star 9
    Fisher is the longest tenured coach though. I think he is anyway.
  11. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    unless i'm mistaken he goes back to when the titans were still the oilers. since 94 to be exact.

and if i'm remembering correctly, having watched pretty much every game last year, their defensive coordinator was absolute crap during that losing streak, and somehow they nearly made the playoffs despite that. i'd say that's the mark of a good coach personally.

oh, and i really just noticed this... but shanny at 4? what a joke that is. he hasn't done jack diddly without elway.
  12. JediMaster1511 Force Ghost

star 9
    I don't have a problem with where Fisher is put. I think Del Rio and Kubiak should be switched around, but they aren't so far apart that it's a huge issue. I might put Rex Ryan ahead of Harbaugh. Not because I'm a Jets fan but because I think Ryan has done more with the Jets in his one year ther than Harbaugh has with his time with the Ravens. Wonder if knocking the Pats out of the playoffs has anything to do with that?[face_thinking]
  13. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    Yeah, but just because you've had your job longer than anyone else shouldn't make you the 3rd highest ranked head coach. In Fisher's 16 seasons, he's only made the playoffs 6 times. How is he higher on the list than a guy like Shanahan who made the playoffs 7 times in 14 seasons with Denver? (Not that I think Shanahan deserves to be ranked 4th either.)
  14. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    you have to consider the division he's been in as well, which has been dominated by the colts the last decade. makes it pretty damned hard to make the playoffs since you pretty much had to make it in a wild card spot, which is something of a crapshoot to put it mildly.
  15. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    Here's another interesting stat about Fisher: In 16 seasons (15 full seasons), he's gone 8-8 or worse 10 times. Those 6 playoff appearances are his only winning seasons. I'm not trying to say he's a bad coach or anything, just that a guy with those numbers shouldn't be anywhere close to #3 on the list.
  16. JediMaster1511 Force Ghost

star 9
    I think a lot of it has to do with Tennesee starting 0-7 then finishing within shouting distance of the playoffs. He follows the Herm Edwards mantra "Hello! You play to win the game!" Most coaches might have lost their teams by that point in the season, but he kept them together.
  17. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    Sporting News' NFL writers and editors factored in championships, won-lost record, creativity, motivational skills, ability to limit turnovers/penalties and hiring and maintaining a quality staff.

I wish they would've included these in their breakdowns instead of pointless quotes from players.
  18. KenKenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    Uh, Grimby, Shanahan coached for 16 seasons, meaning he's actually 7-for-16 to Fisher's 6-for-16. Not that that's even a great stat, Caldwell owns it right now.

And in that time, he's gone under .500 4 times to Fisher's 5.

Also it was 0-6 last year, and he still somehow had them in playoff contention by the end.

Yeah definitely, a little profile that listed that stuff would've been cool.
  19. JediMaster1511 Force Ghost

star 9
    I agree with s65Horsey on the stat breakdowns. Might have helped in justifying some of the rankings.

And with Fisher, yeah most coaches would have probably lost the team by that point in the season, especially considering the year before they didn't lose their first game until the Jets came to town.(J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets) Anyway, He held the team together. That speaks volumes to his leadership and coaching abilities, even if they did miss the playoffs, who ever thought at 0-6 they'd even be in the mix?
  20. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    It's very commendable that they were even close to .500 by the end of the season. I just don't think he deserves to be #3.

And for what it's worth, Shanahan's numbers are still better even if you include his two seasons as head coach of a horribly-run Raiders organization. Not that any of that matters other than to prove that the #4 guy on the list has had more success than the #3 guy on the list. The only difference is that Fisher coaches for a smaller market team with a much more forgiving local media and fanbase than Shanahan did in Denver.
  21. KenKenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    Then don't bring it up? (with incorrect stats to boot)
  22. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    There's no reason to get snippy, Ken.

Did you forget the part where I proved that the stats actually prove a point?
  23. KenKenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    [image=http://blog.al.com/techcetera/2008/02/ahsokastanding.jpg]

Snippy?

And, um, didn't you just say your stats only prove a point that doesn't matter?
  24. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    Ken, seriously, maybe you should think a little bit before you post so you don't end up changing it two minutes later.

And maybe you should reread my posts, because you're not making any sense.
  25. KenKenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    Are you serious? I changed it from "they didn't prove a point" to "a point that doesn't matter," only because I figured you might take the first one to not include the implication that they didn't prove "a point (that matters)". It's not like I flip-flopped, come on.

And maybe you should look into the criteria they used for this list, because you're not making any sense. Maybe you'll come across some accurate stats while you're at it?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.