main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rap 101- History, Cultural Relevance, Merits and Flaws

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Jedi Merkurian , Nov 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  2. DARK_SCORE

DARK_SCORE Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2000
    Rap isn't solely about one's self - truly great MCs can rap about anything - love, politics, society etc etc. Listen to someone like Mos Def (not the world's greatest MC, admittedly) and he raps about rain, water, women - all with real intelligence and innovative flow.

My biggest beef with Eminem is that he can't stop rapping about the same issues - himself, his problems, his critics, his fans, his child, his ex-wife and his mother. It's all started to get a bit boring....

You should check out Nas' The Lost Tapes - that's an album that approaches lots of different subjects and always sounds brilliant...

And if you wanna talk about brilliance, then you gotta talk about Gang Starr!!! :D

3. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    My main problem with the article is 1. It says Hip Hop is a synonym of Rap, it isn't.

Hip Hop is:

Djing
    Rapping
    Breakdancing
    Graffiti
    Beat-Boxing

4 of the 5 elements have little or nothing to do with his article.

2. It seems to make Gangsta Rap out to be the *only* thing in Rap, what about groups like Jurassic 5, Black Eyed Peas, A Tribe Called Quest etC. Positive Hip Hop isn't death yet, but the article likes to talk as if it is.

4. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    This is a tad off-topic but when I first saw this thread I thought it said Rape 101. I was what in hell...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.