main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA Rare Pre-Star Wars Lucas Interview

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Harlock415, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    http://scifiwire.com/2009/06/rare-pre-star-wars-video.php

Rare pre-Star Wars video interview of George Lucas surfaces

Even if you've seen and read everything there is to know about George Lucas, chances are you've never seen this before: a one-hour interview with him from 1971 from a TV show on Los Angeles public TV station KCET called George Lucas: Maker of Films, which you can view after the jump.

Related Sections: Interviews Movies News Video Weird Stuff
    Rare pre-Star Wars video interview of George Lucas surfaces
    Rare pre-\<i\>Star Wars\<\/i\> video interview of George Lucas surfaces

Even if you've seen and read everything there is to know about George Lucas, chances are you've never seen this before: a one-hour interview with him from 1971 from a TV show on Los Angeles public TV station KCET called George Lucas: Maker of Films, which you can view after the jump.

That's right, 1971. That's before not only Star Wars (1977), but also American Graffiti (1973)! In this rare video, film journalist Gene Youngblood interviews the then-27-year-old Lucas based on the release of his THX 1138, his dystopic sci-fi movie, which had come out the previous March.

It's almost as if Youngblood is really someone from the 23rd century who has jumped into his time machine to go back to talk with Lucas before everyone else.

Odd to see someone treating Lucas as kind of a maverick indie artist who rails against the studio system, but that's still kind of who he is, isn't it?

Thanks to BinaryBonsai for unearthing the video interview.

The video last nealy an hour. Gonna see if I can capture it and convert.

2. Nebelwerfer

Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2008
    god, hopefully somebody saved it before it went "poof"

3. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    I think I got it all.

4. AKAI_FETT

AKAI_FETT Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2006
    Here:

http://binarybonsai.com/files/georgelucas-makeroffilm.mp4

5. Nebelwerfer

Apr 8, 2008
    THANKS BRAH!

6. Nebelwerfer

Apr 8, 2008
    Lol, i just finished it. What was up with those Gregorian chants as the theme music... little creepy. I laughed every time the interviewer said CASSettes, and he kinda sounded alittle like brian griffin with his rant at the end, and he was dead wrong about "in 10 years there's gonna be unlimited energy due to nuclear power"

It was good to see lucas explain his goals and outlook of the film industry of that era.

7. Nebelwerfer

Apr 8, 2008
    After watching Twilight: New Moon, I was reminded of the advice that Lucas gave during this interview, that as films are distributed via VHS tapes ( and nowadays DVD and the Internet), film will be made for smaller groups of fans, and less for the huge masses, and the Academy Award types because of the films easy distributability. I was reading some of the reviews on rotten tomatoes of the film New Moon, and either the reviewers dispised the film, or they loved the film because they were fans. The biggest complaint from the reviewers was that the film was made for the fans, and if you weren't a fan, then the movie was boring and hard to follow.
    This just goes to show how far ahead of his time George is, he pretty much hit the nail on the head with this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.