RARE TELEVISION ALERT! The 136th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Zaz, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    On PBS tonight: there's going to be Fawlty Towers Retrospective and Monty Python's Favorites (they show each of the Python's favourite bits in a one hour show). Last week was Cleese & Gilliam.
  2. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    Lucky Americans, I want Python.
  3. SBD-518 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Agreed. I think we might get it here in Toronto. We shall see. Bring on the Python.
  4. Valie Jedi Knight

star 3
    Since I've moved to London, I see Fawlty Towers on much more than Monty Python. I was a bit surprised at that.
  5. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    I'm in British Columbia, and we get the PBS feed.
  6. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    I don't think British Terrestrial can pick it up though :p
  7. GavinStrife Jedi Knight

star 3
    Faulty Towers was one of my grandmother's favorites... we'd watch it all the time while I was growing up. And, Monty Python has been one of my favorites since I first saw "Holy Grail" at 12... I was astounded that they had a TV show as well, and I've susbequently seen all their movies too, though Holy Grail is still probably my favorite ;)
  8. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    All the great routines: the Germans, the Australian girl, the Americans...etc. etc.
  9. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    I haven't. But then again, I get the generic channels over here.
  10. Darth_Banal Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I recorded some of it, and watched a little. The 'tape recorder up the nose' sketch had me laughing for an hour. You know what puts the sketch over the top? The white gloves.

Genius.
  11. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    On PBS: "American Experience: Eugene O'Neill"

The EW blurb describes playwrights as 'nuttier than comedians.'

Oona O'Neill would know; she was the daughter of Eugene O'Neill and the (4th) wife of Charlie Chaplin.

O'Neill is probably the greatest of the earlier American playwrights: "The Iceman Cometh", "A Touch of the Poet", "A Moon for the Misbegotten", and especially "A Long Day's Journey into Night". There is a strong autobiographical element in all his plays, but he was only honest in his art, not his life, as his nearest and not so dearest could attest.
  12. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Tonight at 10:00 p.m., for those who get Bravo:

"Shadow of the Vampire" (2000). This is the movie about the making of the 1922 silent horror classic, "Nosferatu". Willem Dafoe plays Max Schreck (the extraordinarily scary-looking, rodent-faced actor who plays the Count) and John Malkovich is F. W. Murnau, the director of the piece. The concept of the movie is that Schreck is a real vampire. Haven't seen this myself, but I'm told it's good.
  13. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    It is very good, lots of fun. Dafoe is absolutely balls to the walls as Shreck and Catherine McCormack is great support.

Bravo though . . . only if you've exhausted DVD sources. :p
  14. Drew_Atreides Force Ghost

star 5
    ..i loved Cary Elwes in that one..

"Is the camera loaded? Good, so am I!"

It's a very very odd tale. Definitely not for everyone.
  15. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    My first thread in the Ampitheatre was a Shadow of the Vampire Discussion thread,it was locked because the rule back then was you couldn`t have a discussion thread for only one movie

The movie it`s self is outstanding. Willem Dafoe gives one of the best performance of his career
  16. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    I watched the movie, and was disappointed by it.

It's a great concept, and they treated it with zero imagination. The other problem is the acting. Dafoe doesn't, to my mind, look much like Schreck. That's one problem. The other is: in B & W, and in silence, Schreck is scary; add colour and sound, and like Bela Lugosi in "Dracula", he seems campy instead. Malkovich overacts, and so does that actress--whatever her name is. Most of the cast is not European, and therefore not really easily of the time and place.

I did enjoy: Malkovich's direction of the movie-in-a-movie. Very interesting, and probably exactly how silent pictures were directed.
  17. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    Zero Imagination? I thought this was the movies greatest strength.Scherk was supposed to be somewhat campy.The movie has a very good sense of humor

"It made me sad"
    "Why sad?"
    "Because Dracula had no servants"

Yes some of the cast over acts,but I sort of expect that from some of them. Cary Elwes is an over actor and so is Malkovich at times.
  18. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    Yeah, I disagree too, but I guess we knew that. I think the bit where Malkovich just loses it and starts screaming for Schreck to die was hilarious. And when he snatched the bat out of the air (I think?) and ate it . . . I laughed and laughed.

I don't think it is supposed to be 'scary' as such. It is, I think, a comedy. Not a typical one, but I think it is a comedy.
  19. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Which reminds me of a story once told about Keanu Reeves and William Hurt in "I Love You to Death." One of them asked the other whether the movie was a comedy or a drama. Answer: "Well, my name is Harlon, and your name is Marlon, so I think it's a comedy."

I didn't give a comedy vibe off this one at all.
  20. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    I didn`t think it was a comedy but it definatly had a dry wit to it
  21. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Very stylish credits: in a very 20's Deco style.
  22. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    The opening credits are breathtaking. I have the soundtrack but it is somewhat hard to navigate through to find the great music moments.I`m sorry Zaz but I consider it to be one of the best Vampire films ever made
  23. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Hey, opinions are subjective. :D

Have you seen "The Fearless Vampire Killers?"

24. Zombi_2_1979 Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, have you seen this film? You have to remember Hammer and other studios were putting out plenty gothic horror material, exotic locales and lavish elegant sets, buxom babes and debonair Counts, were still going pretty strong in the mid-sixties.

And then Polanski's puts a witty satirical spin on the genre and attacking it's conventions with this romp. I love this film, and that Komeda score is brilliant simply brilliant.

It has become a tradition for me to view this film every Halloween and Christmas because frankly it fits both holidays swell. Especially on those rainy evenings while savoring a hot cup of joe or tea.
  25. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Yes, I've seen it. The Jewish vampire bit still makes me laugh.