main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RARE TELEVISION ALERT! The 136th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Zaz, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998

9-9:30PM

Animal Planet, TV-14

"Weird, True & Freaky"

"Did you know some hedgehogs crave nicotine? I'm blaming the stress of having a sex partner who's covered in sharp quills."

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    American Experience

Episode: Roads to Memphis (NEW)

The entwined stories of assassin James Earl Ray and his target, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

* NEW

9:00 - 10:30 PM PBS

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So, when will twilight quit ruining this award show?

On the brightside, having Tom Cruise reprise his role as Les Grossman to "produce" the show is brilliant. [face_laugh]

4. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    When they stop thirteen year old girls from voting as much as they want.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So the next question is- how can Angelina Jolie be nominated for Biggest Badass for Salt, a movie that hasn't come out yet? I know these awards are for fun, mostly, but there's generally be a defined cut-off for nominations.

6. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Tom Cruise's Les Grossman is hilarious. [face_laugh] He should portray that role more. It was the best part of Tropic Thunder.

7. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Well, that was even more horrible than I expected. :p

8. Slowburn

Slowburn Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 22, 2010
    I liked the MTV Movie Awards as a kid but I just haven't been able to stand it for the past several years. It's like you bottle every ounce of lack of culture into a room and the MTV Movie Awards is what you'll get.

9. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    It was enjoyable when they used to do movie spoof skits. Those comedy bits last night were awful. Stunt kids? The Swagger thing? Come on. Those aren't funny.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Stunt Kids was kinda funny- they've always done those sort of industry-spoofs alongside the film spoofs in the past (I recall the one with Stiller doing his Cruise impression alongside Cruise on the set of MI2, for example). But the lack of film spoofs is missed. It's like they decided just to cram it all in a quick montage at the opening and call it quits.

Swagger was bad though (seems to me like it existed solely to setup the amusing acceptance speech by Aziz on behalf of Zach).

But what did ever happen to the great spoofs like The Lost World (funnier now given recent late night events), Godzilla, Spider-Man, Matrix Reloaded, Batman Begins, TPM or ROTS?

I mean, what did they spoof briefly last night? Precious? The Blind Side?

11. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Will the last person to leave MTV please turn out the lights? :rolleyes:

12. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    9-10PM
    TBS

Ellen's Somewhat Special Special

"She may already be a judge on American Idol, but it seems Ellen DeGeneres is angling for a spot on America's Got Talent, too. For her fourth TBS variety special, the comedian will serve as ringmaster for a potpourri of acts ranging from country trio Lady Antebellum to Saturday Night Live writer John Mulaney to a ridiculously strong French gymnast nicknamed the Flag Man who can suspend himself parallel to the ground while holding on to a metal pole. ''I thought I was the only one who could do that,'' jokes DeGeneres. ''I was like, 'How is there someone else who does this too? Let's book him.' '' As for the show's title, DeGeneres says it's all about managing expectations: ''There are a million specials. What really is special anymore? I almost called it Ellen's Really S---ty Show.'' ?Dave Karger"

13. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Various
    ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS
    Toby-Keith_150

Fourth of July Celebrations

"July 4th isn't just about gorging on hot dogs and whatever patriotic dessert (usually involving blueberries, strawberries, and some form of whipped cream) your BBQ host has cooked up. It's also the night of competing fireworks and music specials! On NBC, you've got the Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular (9-10 p.m.) from New York City with a performance by screech-inducing Justin Bieber. Over at CBS' Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular (10-11 p.m.), Craig Ferguson hosts and Toby Keith sings from ? you guessed it ? Boston. Jimmy Smits and Darius Rucker will rock Independence Day from D.C. with A Capitol Fourth on PBS (8-9:30 p.m.). And ABC wins the huh? award by airing its America Celebrates July 4th at Ford's Theatre (9-10 p.m.) on...July 2? Maybe host Ty Burrell (Modern Family) is playing a joke on performer Kelly Clarkson? Or maybe they just had other Independence Day plans."

14. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    9-10PM
    HBO
    Homeless: The Motel Kids of Orange County

''Home? I don't really know what that means,'' says 6-year-old Rudee, who lives in a Southern California pay-by-the-week motel, where homeless families stay because they can't pay rent. Director Alexandra Pelosi (daughter of Nancy) points her lens at this national tragedy (one in 50 American kids experiences homelessness, we're told) without making this already heartbreaking documentary overly melodramatic. As is, the powerful images of a child picking a gun out of a Dumpster as others play in the Disneyland parking lot (because they can't afford to go in) won't leave you anytime soon." A-

15. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    'Kung Fu Panda Holiday Special'

"Kung Fu Panda" (2008) took martial arts far more seriously than "Shrek" ever did fairy tales or "Madagascar" zookeeping. Likewise, its holiday special feels a lot more sincere than other DreamWorks yuletide tie-ins. With our roly-poly panda torn between spending time with his father and officiating as Dragon Warrior during Winter Feast, "KFP" emphasizes the importance of family and togetherness even if it?s a little more ?Hi-yah!? in tone than ?Ho ho ho!? And thankfully, Po does not appear in a Santa suit, despite possessing the requisite girth."

16. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    8-9PM | DISCOVERY
    How Beer Saved the World

"I'm very much looking forward to watching this documentary. Even if it does address a question I personally didn't need answered."

17. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    February 13:

Masterpiece Classic

Episode: Any Human Heart (NEW)

"After gaining success as a novelist, Logan Mountstuart finds love and adventure abroad."

* NEW

9:00 - 10:30 PM PBS

18. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    8-9PM | USA
    135th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show

"It's the time of year when we ask ''Who let the dogs out (but only after they received a thorough grooming)?''

This competition has a malign fascination.

Okay, I own a dog, or as we say in Canada, I am the guardian of a dog. :p

19. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    American Masters

Episode: Carole King and James Taylor (NEW)

"Musicians launched careers during the 1960s at the Troubadour in Los Angeles, including Carole King, James Taylor, Randy Newman, and Jackson Browne."

* NEW

8:00 - 9:30 PM PBS

20. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    8-9PM
    HALLMARK

Martha Stewart Presents: Men Who Make Us Laugh

"It should be surprising that a woman who's able to make bird napkin rings also has a sense of humor. But anyone who's seen La Martha play the straight woman on a late-night talk show knows she can hold her own with funny folk, like tonight's subjects, Conan O'Brien and Saturday Night Live's Seth Meyers. ''I get along really well with comedians and kids, for some reason,'' says Stewart, who interviewed Conan on the set of his TBS show and put Meyers to work doing chores on her farm. ''I like to talk to them about real things. I don't care about the crap.'' Yep, Martha Stewart said ''crap.''

21. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    9-10PM
    FOX
    Mobbed_175

Mobbed

''This is the biggest production undertaking with no net that has been tried by any network,'' says the painfully immodest exec producer and host Howie Mandel about his flash-mob special. Tonight, a commitment-phobic guy proposes to his girlfriend after performing alongside 1,000 people who all of a sudden break out in a dance routine choreographed by So You Think You Can Dance's Tabitha and Napoleon. ''Flash mobs have been around for decades,'' says Mandel. ''But we're using them as a way to convey a secret message in a public, embarrassing way.'' Should the special become a series, Mandel promises flash mobs dedicated to someone coming out of the closet, finding out she's pregnant, and even getting fired. ''This show is uncomfortable and awkward,'' says Mandel. ''But you can still tap your feet to it.''

Sounds like "Candid Camera" crossed with "Glee"...

22. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Dawn of the Nazis
    Episode: Becoming Hitler
    PREMIERE
    NEW

The Great War of 1914 turns Adolf Hitler into a rabid racist obsessed with the mission of saving Germany.

TV-14 (V)

8:00 - 9:00 PM NGC

23. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Republican Debate

Episode: Your Voice, Your Vote: Republican Presidential Candidate Debate in Iowa
    LIVE

GOP presidential candidates discuss issues in Des Moines, Iowa; moderated by Diane Sawyer and George Stephanopoulos.

CC

9:00 - 11:00 PM ABC

24. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    8-11PM
    USA

The 136th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show

"The three-hour finale, at the end of which we find out which pooch is Best in Show. Perhaps at 11:01 we should all take a moment to acknowledge the cleaning staff at Madison Square Garden whose lives are not so fun right about now."