RARE TELEVISION ALERT! The 136th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Zaz, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Not sure if that's what hurt the Oscars this year, as much as the lack of a huge blockbuster with some critical acclaim, such as Titanic and The Return of the King. With a movie like that, the Oscars would probably enjoy much higher ratings.

Most of the nominees this year were bleak-themed and/or largely arthouse-type movies; only Juno was a relatively upbeat film, but it wouldn't have been deemed "serious" enough.
  2. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    That's what I meant; Hollywood goes for the quick buck so everything is horror or gearing to the 14 year old male. No mainstream movies being made anymore.
  3. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well it's true that the studios themselves are releasing a lot of movies that won't have much adult appeal. Yet ironically enough, they are also, through their "indie" labels, releasing a huge chunk of the Oscar contenders each year. Disney still has Miramax, Paramount has Vantage, WB has Warner Independent Pictures, Universal has Focus, Columbia has Sony Pictures Classics, Fox has Fox Searchlight.

So, yes, it could be said that Hollywood is ultimately responsible for the growing gap between dumbed-down movies for the masses and the "upscale" movies made for presumably more demanding audiences. And they're the only ones who can change it at this point.

4. Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Four out of the five musical numbers made me want to slit my wrists.
  5. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm glad you enjoyed at least one song!!! :D
  6. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    10-11:05PM HBO

"It's Bad For Ya"

"George Carlin has a problem with that, and by that, we mean everything. In his 14th HBO stand-up special, the comedian rags on the self-esteem movement, the elderly, and parents who love their children. Yeah, old, loving people with self-esteem really are the worst.
    Check out Josh Wolk's look back on four decades of George Carlin?s comedy"

7. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    How is this new George Carlin special a rare event? It just debuted last night, is on at least a dozen times in the next two weeks, and is more than likely going to be available OnDemand very quickly.
  8. jangoisadrunk Jedi Master

star 4
    "It's Bad for Ya" was way better than his last one, "You are all Diseased," which contained zero humor and consisted entirely of GC ******** about the government.
  9. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    9-10PM VH1 Rock Docs: "The Night James Brown Saved Boston" B+

"The day after Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated, rioters destroyed cities across the country, but enraged Beantowners were calmed by a seminal James Brown concert beamed live from the Boston Garden. The Godfather of Soul ''knew how to express the gutterances [sic] and screams and the feelings of a whole people,'' explains Al Sharpton, one of the many talking heads in this newsreel-heavy documentary. Boston can be rather academic but, naturally, springs to life when Brown?s feverish dancing and shouting blaze onto the screen. ? Tanner Stransky"

10. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    10-11:15PM HBO, TV-MA The Greatest Silence: Rape in the Congo A-

'Lisa F. Jackson, a rape survivor, went to the Congo to film victims of rape-as-warfare. Then she turned her camera on the rapists. Her powerful, brutal film is the closest most of the women will ever come to justice.'
  11. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    9-11PM PBS Masterpiece Classics: My Boy Jack

"British actor David Haig (Four Weddings and a Funeral) penned this film about Rudyard Kipling and his son Jack. Daniel Radcliffe stars alongside Haig in this father-son fable about the values a parent bestows ? or inflicts ? on his child. Kim Cattrall takes a turn as Kipling's wife."

Mrs. Kipling was American, but this is ridiculous.
  12. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    :rolleyes: 8-10PM NBC, TV-PG
    Skywalker Alert!

Deal or No Deal

"It's a Star Wars theme, with the Deal dolls dressed as Leia and the banker as Darth Vader. And it's no Jedi mind trick ? that really is guest Carrie Fisher wondering if she'll ever escape this movie. (Answer: No.)"

She could have said 'No', though.

13. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    8-9PM*PBS, TV-PG "Secrets of the Dead: Escape From Auschwitz"
    B

"Rudolph Vrba and Alfred Wetzler escaped Auschwitz by hiding in a wood pile for three days in order to alert the world to the mass extermination in the camp. Tragically, their report was ignored by the leader of Budapest's Jewish council, who was negotiating with Adolf Eichmann for the release of prisoners. It's a story so complex it could fill another hour. If only the Secrets doc spent less time on overwrought reenactments and more on the details of this fascinating tale of bravery and betrayal. ? Jessica Shaw *check local listings"

14. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Saturday night:

9-10PM BBC America, TV-PG Robin Hood B+

"Still miss the campy, pseudo-period fun of Hercules and Xena? Try this take on the pioneer of wealth redistribution. The details: Robin (Jonas Armstrong) and Marian (Lucy Griffiths) battle the Sheriff of Nottingham (Keith Allen) ? he openly, as an outlaw, she cloaked as the Night Watchman. Season 2 ups the ante with a traitor among the merry men, and the sheriff plotting a coup. Sounds ominous, but Hood keeps it light, with quippy dialogue and fizzy guest turns (Hotel Babylon's Dexter Fletcher turns up tonight). Deep it ain't, but neither was Xena."

Richard Green it ain't, either.

15. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    I've only once managed to sit though a whole episode (the first)... not my cup of tea. I'd much rather watch the old Robin of Sherwood from the 80's.
  16. Benny_Blanco Jedi Master

star 4
    Seconded - The old Robin of Sherwood series was truly amazing, I was totally hooked on it when I was younger - always preferred Michael Praed over Jason Connery. And Clannad doing the soundtrack made it even more special.

I`ve watched a few episodes of the new Robin Hood, it just seemed a bit tame. And I lost count of the number of times the outlaws staged a miraculous rescue from right outside Nottingham gates!
  17. RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I thought this might look interesting so I just Netflixed the first disk of the first season... we'll see how it goes.
  18. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    9-11PM*PBS, TV-PG

"Cranford"

"PBS says this three-parter is like a Jane Austen/Chuck Dickens afternoon tea with Michael Gambon, Imelda Staunton, and ? don't faint ? Judi Dench. Holy crap, you fainted! That's it, no more classing up this joint. *check local listings"
  19. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    9-10PM*PBS, TV-PG-L American Masters: Marvin Gaye A-

"What wasn't going on with doomed soul legend Gaye, a man whose interests included drugs, women, and trying in vain to please his cross-dressing, disciplinarian father? True, the singer's tale may be familiar to many, but this documentary offers an impressive array of talking heads (Smokey Robinson, Gladys Knight, Mos Def) and some terrific footage of Gaye both on and off stage. There is even the occasional surprising tidbit: According to fellow Motown singer Bobby Taylor, for example, Gaye ''couldn't dance a lick. He banged his foot like a white man!'' ? Clark Collis *check local listings"
  20. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    9-10PM CMT, TV-PG CMT
    "Crossroads: Maroon 5 and Sara Evans" A-

"CMT produces its hottest concert yet, pairing crooner Sara Evans and Maroon 5's Adam Levine. Their slowed-down, minimalist duet of ''She Will Be Loved'' is sweet and sexy. When Adam asks, ''You guys having fun watching us flirt up here?'' there is only one answer: Yes. ? Aubry D?Arminio"

21. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Tonight: 9-10:45PM Showtime, R "An American Crime" A-

"Remember Kathy Bates in Misery? Her Annie Wilkes was almost sweet compared with Catherine Keener as a desperate and deluded single mom who tortures a sweet teenage border (Ellen Page) in 1965 Indiana. Deeply disturbing, yet undeniably mesmerizing, Keener effortlessly alternates between predator and prey, while cultivating a chilling climate of physical and psychological terror that encourages her own kids to commit similar crimes. Crafted almost like a mythic monster story, this unsparing white-knuckler has the tragic advantage of being true. ? Jeff Labrecque"

22. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    9-11PM*PBS Frontline: Storm Over Everest A-

"Chronicling a 1996 Mount Everest tragedy in which three teams of climbers were caught in a deadly storm, filmmaker/mountain climber David Breashears tells a story that's equal parts awe-inspiring and agonizing. Breashears was on the scene to help with the rescue when a blizzard at 26,000 feet trapped many of the climbers. Now he interviews several of the survivors, and their blunt tales of bravery and fear ? along with the director's footage of stunning landscapes that turned ? make for a remarkable documentary. ? Ken Tucker *check local listings"

"Into Thin Air" is a fascinating book; it chronicles the same incident. Breashears is a famous photographer/filmmaker/climber, so this should be well worth seeing.
  23. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    9-10PM truTV
    New Episodes
    Smoking Gun Presents: World's Dumbest Daredevils and Record Breakers

"Forget the dummies featured in these clips. Check out the hot mess of celebrity commentators: Danny Bonaduce, Leif Garrett, Tonya Harding, and Todd Bridges. Do I smell a World's Dumbest Celebrities edition?"

9-10PM*PBS, TV-G
    Under the Sea With Al Giddings

"Al Giddings is known for his ''artistic interpretation of the wonders of the ocean environment.'' Which is just a colleague's fancy way of saying he takes pictures of fish. But what pictures! Giddings' sumptuous footage (which makes up much of this doc) informs everything from science to history (he shot the Titanic). It's also given him stories, like the unintentionally hilarious one about working on 1977's The Deep, when Jacqueline Bisset insisted on doing her own scenes because her stunt double's legs were ''fat.'' B+ *check local listings"

I love bad drivers shows, I don't know why. Only thing better: a show I saw on famous trainwrecks. Fantastic.

24. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Tonight:

9-11PM Discovery, TV-G Must Watch of the Week
    When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions A-

"The origin of mankind's first forays into space has been told many times before ? either fictionalized, like in Apollo 13 or the HBO mini From the Earth to the Moon, or in documentary form, like the stunning In the Shadow of the Moon. What makes this six-part Discovery series noteworthy is the access. It's all about the NASA archival footage: beautiful, never-before-seen high-def imagery of everything from the daredevil Mercury program (manned by a superheroic team of astronauts, led by John Glenn and Alan Shepard) straight through to the International Space Station. Watching it makes you wonder how we, as a nation, ever fell out of love with reaching for the stars. ? Marc Bernardin"

25. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    8-11PM CBS
    AFI's 10 Top 10

"The 10 best films of 10 different genres. EW does lists, and I can tell you that some AFI intern is not gonna be happy with the volume of hate mail coming."