main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rate "A Question of Faith!"

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Wolf3118, Oct 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolf3118

Wolf3118 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 11, 2003
    How would you rate AQOF? What do you think AQOF2 will be like?

2. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    What, are all those guys friends of yours or something?

As far as my rating goes... Eh, I thought it was okay... Pretty good fighting. Pretty good set despite the obligatory forest. It didn't really do it for me, honestly.

3. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
  4. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    He's baaack. ::) J/k :p

DONT CLICK THAT LINK!!!!!

5. dr_modean

dr_modean Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2003
    I'm with durbnpoisn. A great film, but not my favorite.

Out of 10: 6
    (That's just my opinion though.)

6. Darth_Obstreperous

Darth_Obstreperous Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    I love it. Great choreography and surprisingly good dialogue and storyline.

8.5/10

Can't wait for the sequel! Well, I can wait, but I'm excited.

7. Jedi_Spiff

Jedi_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    I actually agree that it's currently the best serious fanfilm out there in terms of story and choreography. My rating? 9/10. It loses marks because the acting in the council chamber never felt right to me... and the roto-ing (especially for the propless draws) could use a few touchups.

While Broken Allegience is often given the credit for best serious fanfilm in terms of acting, and let's face it, sex appeal... I have to admit I find AWOF more entertaining.
    My rating for BA would be closer to 7, with the biggest losses coming from choreography - it's just that important to me.

Oh, and I'd rate The Formula as 9.5 out of 10. There were just a few edits I'd clean up for pacing reasons.

-Spiff

8. Fall-on-Jin

Fall-on-Jin Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 22, 2001
    I'll give it a solid 9, simply because it made me leap into the world of fanfilms, and its still one of my favourites. The quality may be bad, but its just such a cool movie in my opinion. Note the word cool back there, that is used because it appeals to ME!

9. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    7.5 out of 10 I suppose...

Here's my review. for all my reviews visit THE FAN FILM MENACE

-----
    I like the title. I like the production company logo. I dislike the ugly capital letters on the title cards, but it's accompanied by nice music. I like the music choices in this flick a lot, actually. Appropriate always, and varied.

And I gotta say, I was really impressed with the opening shot. Where did you guys find that place? Can I shoot there some time? (But if I do, I'll try to use better sound recording tools and techniques.)

The plot is this: A whole bunch of Jedi go out into the woods for the purpose of fighting cool guys with lightsabers. Yeah. This is what disappoints me. It's nice fighting. But the plot is uninteresting (I would almost rather have no plot at all), the dialogue is clunky and the actors seem to have decided that the way to sound Jedi-like is to sound noble with a tinge of snottiness.

When the characters aren't fighting, I just want them to get on with it. The location (a forest) is not cool enough to deserve beauty shots of Jedi walking through it, and those beauty shots are washed-out and a little blue. The flaws of MiniDV (I'm guessing it's MiniDV) are not dealt with well.

The swordplay is pretty good. It is a shame that the Web compression has made these look choppy. And then the fighting stops, and I get bored, and wonder what lightsaber color is going to be introduced next.

So what is the question of faith? I don't know. But I have a possible answer.

Perhaps these guys should do A Question of Faith II as a comedy. A lighter touch. Have one of their wonderful fights, then abruptly end it with a character farting (okay, something better than that, but you get my drift). Director Jason S. Alexander admits in his bio on TFN that it was primarily an excuse for saber duels. If you can surround those duels with something new, or at least creative, you might surprise us all?even yourselves.

C
    -----

Rick McCallum loves you!

10. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    Funny... Right after I wrote my post, I went to Fan Film Menace to read your review. :D Which, incidentally, I agree with.

11. Wolf3118

Sep 11, 2003
    AQOF is by far the greatest fanfilm ever.10 out of 10. Awesome storyline. Great sword fighting. AWESOME actors (Siskan)

12. Scott_M

Scott_M Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    A Question Of Faith

One could easily dismiss A Question of Faith as ?yet another Jedi film?, but that would be doing it a dis-service. Of course all the Jedi film staples are there ? Jedi vs. Sith, double ended lightsabres, a forest, a great deal of taunting to pad out the running time ? if you seen a few fan films you know the drill. However, there are quite a few positives that lift this just above the norm.

Firstly the use of the score. They?ve used John Williams ? but not any Star Wars tracks. Along with Williams Lost World score, we have such soundtrack luminaries as James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith, Danny Elfman and Elliot Goldenthal. And the scoring for each scene fits perfectly. But while we?re on the subject of sound, it sounds as if the dialogue was looped in post-production, and while the dialogue is quite clear (BIG plus), the characters have ended up sounding like they?re in a room, rather than on location. This could be due to the file compression ? I?m not sure.

So to the dialogue ? there?s a lot of the usual derivative Jedi/ Force related clichés on display, and two of the Jedi split up at one point claiming it?s a good idea (while in reality it?s rather dumb). But occassionally some of the script shines. ?I haven?t fallen from grace; I have ascended to greatness? is a great line. Amazing what one can come up with talking about a very familiar subject, but putting a bit of thought into saying it a different way.

Are the obligatory lightsabre fights any good? Yeah ? they?re not the best around, but the producers have made good use of their location to provide us with some rather cool acrobatics, and tried a few different things such as cutting down trees to slow an opponent, or use a Force push, which is a pretty simple effect that helps to spice up a duel. Of course the double ended lightsabres get cut in half ? but once again the film makers have used this as an opportunity to entertain their audience.

The ending was a little unsatisfying with the bad guys facing off against five good guys in a fight we never get to see. These five good guys only appear in the first and last scenes, and their acting is so wooden (shame since the other acting isn?t too bad) I would?ve loved to see them get taken down. Oh well can?t have everything?

23/10/2001

13. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Everyone knows my opinion on this film.

~Neszis~

14. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    I guess I'm no one, then. :(

15. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    A+ ... for its time, and still A+ now, mostly because it actually manages to include character depth and kickass duels in less than twenty minutes. :D

16. Wolf3118

Sep 11, 2003
    OY! Neszis, I'm sure you remember how much I know about the movie!

17. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Max speaks the truth.

Wolf, yes, I remember very well, but that was rather random :D.

~Neszis~

18. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    I thought it was great. A little confusing at first with everyone's names (who was going where and doing what). But after watching it a couple of times I figured who was who.
    I also agree with "the council was a little stiff" but there was that one guy that moved his hands like a magician everytime he spoke.LOL
    Then there was the Jedi's that split up...didn't one of them look like Andy Dick?

Anyways overall it was probably one of the best cliche fanfilms ever done. It was well thought out and WELL DONE.A- in my book cuz the character audio was wierd.

~Rory

19. Wolf3118

Sep 11, 2003
    I'm sorry, random?

20. drippyzeo

drippyzeo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Decent for its time.

I was actually disappointed by its much touted acting. No offense intended to scudknight and the others. I think it had its moments, and I'm definitely looking forward to AQOF2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.