main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Rate Batman films 1-8

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jarren_Lee-Saber, Sep 11, 2013.

?

What is your favorite Batman film?

1. Batman (1989)

7 vote(s)
    7.6%
  2. Batman Returns (1992)

6 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. Batman Forever (1995)

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  4. Batman & Robin (1997)

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  5. Batman Begins (2005)

11 vote(s)
    12.0%
  6. The Dark Knight (2008)

50 vote(s)
    54.3%
  7. The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

8 vote(s)
    8.7%
  8. Batman (1966)

8 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Rises has better actors, but their performances in the movie weren't any better. Hardy did his best, I could tell he was really trying, but he got stuck with a crap character that wears a huge, stupid looking mask over his face that makes his awesome voice sound terrible. The rest were crap.

Visually I prefer B&R, better outrageous, brightly colored, flashy camp than dark, ugly, dark, uninspiring, dark, colorless "realism".

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Rises from a technical standpoint though is a better made movie. B&R is just poorly done in all aspects - the actors don't care, the costumes are bad, the set pieces are dodgy, the plot is meh, many of the characters are ridiculous and you can't take them seriously (Hardy's problems as Bane notwithstanding, you can't seriously say the steroid Gimp Bane from B&R is better). Schumacher is a bad director with an average record at best, Nolan is not.
    Sure I agree Rises is not a great movie, but it's not forever dismissed into the vault of horrors that is Worst Movies of All Time as B&R constantly is. Neither does it deserve to be, Dark Knight set a bar that was very high and it was never going to match that. Rises as a movie has enough going for it to push it above Batman Forever and Returns, simply because those got really stupid even if they were enjoyable in parts.

Prequel hurt seems to happen a lot with TDKRises, just because you had high expectations of it and you came out without those met is not reason to trash the movie as garbage.

88% on RT is not too shabby either (higher than BB is odd to me, but it shows critics regard it as a decent movie), compare that with 12% for B&R and 41% for BF. It's clear the Nolan movies are easily superior to all past live action Batman movies bar the 89 Batman.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    1. Batman (1966)
    2. Mask of the Phantasm
    Whatever. Almost everything else
    Last. That one old serial where he battles a wizard or something.
    Too racist to rank. The first serial.

Frank T. and Saintheart like this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    TDK
    TDKR
    MoTP
    BB
    B
    BF
    BR
    And I never saw B&R thankfully nor the '66 version.

5. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Then you have not lived, I.R.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    BUT I WANT TO LIIIIIIVE

But is this regarding the '97 one or the '66 one Saintheart?

Saintheart and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Both, although B&R is a peculiar sort of acquired taste, whereas '66 is just awesome.

yankee8255 and Saintheart like this.
  8. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    1. Batman: The Movie
    2. Mask of the Phantasm
    3. Batman Returns
    4. The Dark Knight
    5. Batman
    6. Batman Begins
    7. Batman Forever
    8. The Dark Knight Rises/Batman & Robin

9. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Batman Begins
    Batman (1989)
    The Dark Knight
    The Dark Knight Returns (If you haven't seen these, fix it)
    Mask of the Phantasm
    Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
    Batman Returns
    The Dark Knight Rises

Batman (1966), Batman Forever, and Batman & Robin have their charms if you're in the right frame of mind, I guess. But none of them belong in a ranking against the real movies, imho.

Frank T. and Volderon like this.
  10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    1. The Dark Knight Rises
    2. The Dark Knight
    3. Batman Begins

4. Batman Returns
    5. Batman Forever
    6. Batman
    7. Batman and Robin
    8. Batman 66

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  11. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    1. The Dark Knight Rises
    2. The Dark Knight
    3. Batman Begins
    4. Batman
    5. Batman Returns
    6. Batman Forever
    7. Batman & Robin

12. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I'll admit I liked the old 60's Batman show when I was a kid and I think I remember seeing the movie at least once. But to try and see it now, let alone enjoy it? I think I'd need to be seriously high.

Same thing with Batman & Robin. I'd rather sit through a marathon of TDKR than to suffer sitting through any one scene of that wretched mess.

13. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    TDK
    DKR
    Batman 89
    BB
    Batman Returns
    60's Batman
    Batman Forever
    Batman and Robin

14. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Batman Begins
    The Dark Knight
    Mask of the Phantasm
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Batman
    Batman Forever
    Batman Returns
    Batman 60s
    Batman and Robin

Damn I forgot Return of the Joker and Dark Kight Returns. Ill place them at the same position as TDKR

MrZAP, Souderwan and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  15. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    This

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    No love for Baman Piderman?:(

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I haven't seen Phantasm in years, since it came out.

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't like the Burton films because I don't like his directing style or aesthetic. Only live-action Burton film I ever enjoyed was Big Fish. Plus, Returns especially has the camp as an "homage" to the 1960's series and aside from the darker tone, it's easy to see why it was followed with something like Forever. Keaton's eyebrows also freak me out.

Yes, there are problems with the first two Nolan entries, but I consider them among the best superhero films-- certainly better than what the Marvelverse assembly line is churning out. Rises took the problems with Dark Knight and magnified them (Batman taking a back seat, hamfisted yet muddled political/social messages, PLOT HOLES GALORE, and Bale's silly "Batman voice"). It's a shame the trilogy ended on a low note. I wonder if Heath Ledger being around to reprise his role would've changed anything. Probably not.

I don't remember Mask of the Phantasm very well though I'm sure I saw it when I was a kid. I really like Return of the Joker. Technically it's Batman Beyond, but it deals heavily with Wayne, Barbara Gordon, and Tim Drake. Plus the "unedited" version contains the most brutal violence I recall seeing in the animated canon. I recently watched Under the Red Hood as well (oh, wait, this one's also brutally violent). That was... strange. I never really liked the supernatural aspects Ra's al Ghul, but they used the Lazarus Pit in a creative way.

19. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Yeah the Dark Knight Trilogy is pretty amazing. Much better than any Marvel movies so far. Iron Man could have changed that if they kept the tone of the first film but they just descended into Just For Laughs. Thor was decent and Im eagerly awaiting the second but Captain America was meh. We could have had a pretty decent Superman trilogy but Batman kind of ruins that a bit if they do it wrong.

And I loved Red Hood, perhaps one of the best Animated movies they have put out recently.

20. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Geez, it seems at this point Tunick and I are the only ones who enjoyed TDKR. I mean it's not without its issues (and I admittedly have some Nolan fanboyism in me) but to say it's worse than the Schumacher films is hilarious.

21. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    1.BTAS-there's a handful of episodes better than any of the feature length movies
    2.TDK-mostly the Ledger performance is the charm of this one
    3.Begins
    4.'89-this was the first time I got caught up in the pre release hype for anything. I was 8 and had just got into the comics after watching the '66 series and then the Topps trading cards came and I spent a long time collecting those sets and waiting for the movie to hit theatres.

5.Phantasm
    6.Rises- Too long and full of the problems I find with every Nolan film. Hathaway is the highlight.
    7.Returns- I like this one well enough

8.Forever-I would like it if I was 7 years old
    9.'66 series and film- loved it as a kid. Got me into Batman. Can't stand it anymore and I imagine it would be even worse under the influence

10.All the Batman movies and series I haven't seen

11.Year One- It was a complete waste of my time. It's just a watered down version of the great comics. Which leads me to a question

Really? Why should I? I have the books. What do I need to see another watered down version for?

12.& Robin

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nah, I liked it. Batman turning into a drama queen for eight years was stupid, but I liked Bane and I really enjoyed the return of Liam Neeson.

I'd rank Batman Begins as my favorite as I loved seeing Batman's background. The Dark Knight was OK, I didn't like it as much as many people do despite the fact that Heath Ledger's performance earned that posthumous Oscar.

The Burton films...maybe I need to re-watch them to see if they've gotten better as I've gotten older but I didn't care for them when they came out.

I never saw Batman and Robin or the 1966 Batman.

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

I loved TDKR, my favourite out of the trilogy followed by TDK

24. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    TDKR is a confusing acronym as it has always been The Dark Knight Returns not Rises 'til now

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    1) The Dark Knight

2) Batman Begins

3-8) All others