main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Rate Batman films 1-8

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jarren_Lee-Saber, Sep 11, 2013.

?

What is your favorite Batman film?

1. Batman (1989)

7 vote(s)
    7.6%
  2. Batman Returns (1992)

6 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. Batman Forever (1995)

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  4. Batman & Robin (1997)

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  5. Batman Begins (2005)

11 vote(s)
    12.0%
  6. The Dark Knight (2008)

50 vote(s)
    54.3%
  7. The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

8 vote(s)
    8.7%
  8. Batman (1966)

8 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    IT'S BAAAAAAAACK

2. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Agreed. Look at my list :D
    I just used it cause its supposedly universally accepted bad. Even though I enjoyed it as a fun campy superhero flick. (I like it better than either of the two burton ones!)

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    All of this.

Honestly, the list should have included Mask of the Phantasm; Sub-Zero; Under the Red Hood; Year One; and TDKR (parts I and II combined).

An argument could be made either way for the inclusion of the Batman Beyond film "Return of the Joker".

I guess the danger is that the adaptation of TDKR would nullify any competition being easily the best Batman movie ever made. It has, unlike the Burton films or Dark Knight Rises, an actual Batman in it. Not a killer and not someone who quit after 2 years tops as the Batman because his girlfriend died. Batman in TDKR has retired at age 45 and been out of the game for 10 years after 20 or so years of crime fighting.

Dark Knight would be a close second, only because Year One's Batman is a little flat (though they got Bryan Cranston as Lt Gordon - perfect casting)

Souderwan likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh, and Arararararwn, Mask of the Phantasm did get a theatrical screening. :)

Souderwan and Saintheart like this.
  5. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Oh well. I guess 90% of the world will continue to use TDKR as The Dark Knight Rises. And Ender Sai will continue to use TDKR as something else. No loss to anyone.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    What?

Batman actually kills people, and when he's not killing he's letting crime happen! It's a pretty crappy take on Batman.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Do you even lift bro?

****, where's Rogue_Ten when I need him.

Did you not see Ramza's post?

Oh, you did, but you've got your fingers in your ears and are going LALALALALACAN'THEARYOULALALALALA.

Gotcha.

You are the number 1 Batfan.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I know, I was there. ( But by all means continue to live in your fantasy world. )

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Classic Arawn post; 99% downstream effects from too much paint thinner in adolescence; 1% random nonsense.

Post #99 indicated otherwise.

And if you were there, how can you like the mind-numbing idiocy of Rises? It does not stack up. It's terrible and only served to give us good College Humor parodies. Phantasm is excellent.

Oh. Right. Paint thinner.

10. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    im here. :)

11. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    For most people, post #42 wasn't too hard to comprehend.

You know, you don't actually have to do something just because I tell you to.

Less time writing about your delusions, more time trying to figure out what "it's" means, mmkay?

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    As if Rogue Number Ten would have to be summoned to a thread with this much potential for mocking people.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Hey bra. We've got a non-lifter here. As in, the answer's "nah brah, totes not" if you ask "DYEL".

Awkward.

14. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    im grimacing in vicarious embarrassment for this person

15. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Google TDKR and see what happens. I dare you.
    [​IMG]

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You realize by that metric "Twilight" no longer refers to a time of day, right? I'm not entirely sure that's the best justification for your opinion you could be utilizing.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    "No loss to anyone."

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    So the court of Google logistics is the final say on all matters?

This bodes ill for several definitions I had taken for granted.

19. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Not even one reference to anything other than the fantastic The Dark Knight Rises. The internets have spoken!

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Fantastic? So you don't like Batman, is that it?

21. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Seems to me that you're the one suffering from I-hate-batman syndrome......I was the guy who started this thread out of my love for BatFilms...and you're the guy attempting to derail for.....something

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah by pointing out most of the Batman films are actually hugely inaccurate towards the character. The animated ones are exceptions to this, as are Dark Knight and Begins. But Batman '66, beloved through many childhoods, is a parody and the Burton films are just about someone who looks like Batman, but isn't. Again, he kills people - this is fundamentally not in sync with who Batman is. Rises suffers from a bunch of terrible plot holes and I just can't accept that the driven, excellent Batman of the first two Nolan films (the first time on screen they got it right that Bruce Wayne is an identity that Batman adopts, not vice versa) was the guy who took 8 years off to play room archery because his girlfriend died and he was sad. Which isn't even the damn reason given for going underground in The Dark Knight, for Chrissakes!

Basically, unless you're going to say that Batman's best been served in animated format and rarely on screen, then the thread is to review which of the least-Batman-like entities is, paradoxically, the most Batman.

Frank T. likes this.
  23. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    The Joker is yet to be realised perfectly in live action, as well, IMHO. All three actors were virtually perfect in the context of the films they appeared in, but none quite managed to accurately play the character I'd call The Joker.

Jack Nicholson was fantastic - and perhaps the closest - but it's impossible to separate Jack's own personality from the character (which has plagued his career somewhat since the 1980s). It wasn't so much Jack Nicholson playing the Joker, as the Joker playing Jack Nicholson.
    Cesar Romero - bit too silly to take seriously, and then there's the moustache. All very well for the harmless prankster of the mid-1940s through to the 1960s, but that character's been obsolete since The Joker's Five-Way Revenge in the 1970s (which went back to the early, darker Joker).
    Heath Ledger - sheer brilliance, perfectly captured the essence of the character for the Nolanverse, but it's very much a new version, and let's face it, the Joker doesn't wear makeup, he actually looks like that, nor does he sport a 'Glasgow grin'. The Joker also doesn't philosophise on what he's doing, either - he simply gets off on killing people and creating mayhem because he's a complete and utter lunatic.

Sadly, Crispin Glover's a bit too old now, so I guess we'll just have to wait. From what I've seen of the animated versions, Luke Mark Hamill's Joker is still probably the closest out of anyone's, live action or animated.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'd argue that Nicholson's Joker wasn't quite random or psychotic enough to be the Joker.

25. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I'd actually say that he was almost exactly random and psychotic enough - shooting Bob the Goon for kicks was just what I'd expect the Joker to do. Jack managed to convey that genuine sense of dangerous craziness, as opposed to the more calculated approach that Ledger took.

But like I said, still not perfect.