main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rate & discuss THE LAST JEDI full trailer

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Oct 9, 2017.

?

I have seen TLJ trailer & hereby declare that it is

1. Outrageously awesome! - 5/5

48.8%
  2. Amazing - 4/5

24.7%
  3. Yeah, pretty good - 3/5

19.0%
  4. Mediocre - 2/5

5.1%
  5. An abomination - 1/5

2.7%
  1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Couldn't agree more. Let's leave "the chosen one" cliche in the early 2000's where it belongs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Great trailer. I'm actually looking forward to this more than I was TFA.
    Anyway despite that, I think the Rey/Snoke scene is the climax of the vision she has on Ahch-To and doesn't actually happen. In the teaser, we saw a clearly shocked Rey drop to her knees whilst struggling for breath. And I believe it's the Snoke vision which causes her to break like that.

3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah that could be interesting. I mean it'd be different while at the same time calling back to ESB (the Dagobah Vader scene specifically) in a good way, people wouldn't necessarily be expecting it, and it could be a creative way of advancing things, etc.

Jacques who and Jcuk like this.
  4. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    If you look at Rey in that brief clip, her hair still appears to be tied in the buns. We got a tiny glimpse in the trailer of Rey's hair hanging loose at the back, as she meets Luke in an underground cavern (by way of the ocean) on Ahch-To. And the BTS clip of her and Finn on what is reportedly the planet Crait, her hair is worn exactly the same.

5. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Well her hair being down during the ocean stuff makes sense. I wonder if the "hair coming down" thing isn't something that happens later on, and then she just keeps it that may from then on?

6. Darth Calvin

Darth Calvin Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 9, 2015
    @MisterBones
    If he did, I missed it. This is the first I have heard of it. MSW is pretty dependable, so that would be interesting.

Upon thinking further about it, I started wondering if maybe Kylo is holding his hand out to Rey in an offer to rescue her from Snoke. He may at some point decide that he is done being Snoke's puppet, and as a part of rebelling against Snoke invites Rey to come with him. And, while she hates Kylo's guts, she may be in the "The enemy of my enemy is my friend at the moment" position.

7. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    See I like the Harry Potter one, because they subverted it. In the end, Dumbledore essentially says "the prophecy was never real or reliable. It only happened, because Voldemort unintentionally caused it to by trying to stop it. It was purely self-fulfilling."

oncafar likes this.
  8. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I'll surmise that from that point on, Rey will wear her hair as such for the rest of the film. Which would be a good thing surely? Certainly ain't a fan of the triple bun thing tbh

9. DarkCree

DarkCree Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2000
    So after all the speculation, have we figured out how best to serve Porg? Fried like bacon, or baked like ham or BBQ and served with slaw. PORG is the other white meat afterall.

10. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Hmm bit hard to tell really. I'm guessing their meat taste is a cross between pheasant and rabbit lol

11. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    During the Finn-Phasma confrontation. Isn't there an AT-ST blowing up stormtroopers in the background. Wasn't there that old rumor that BB-8 takes control of one??????

12. Funbox

Funbox Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 16, 2015
    The trailer was okay, I will reserve full judgement of TLJ until it comes out. Slightly underwhelming in my estimation but it looks better than TFA. The suggestion that TLJ looks "better than ESB" is somewhat premature.

Parts of the trailer look like a fan film, possibly due to filming in the natural enviroment of Skellig.

As for the plot based on the trailer, there are a plethora of possibilities:
    1. Firstly, it may be that Snoke's words at the start are spliced together and not one sentence.
    2. What will be this surprise that they will drop on us? This warrants some discussion.
    3. Luke himself burned down the temple?
    4. Luke killed Rey's parents who were dark force users?
    5. Rey destroyed the temple in a 'force outburst', like the girl in the KOR cinematic?
    6. Kylo will die? After challenging Snoke?
    7. Snoke dies?
    8. Luke will die? I thoroughly hope this does not happen, as we have not seen Luke on screen for years and he is already being portrayed as weak, dejected, reluctant and bedazzled. Now if this is discussed in the film from the perspective of Luke suffering a form of PTSD as a result of growing up without his real parents; witnessing his aunt and uncle burnt to a crisp; seeing his mentor and role model Obi Wan slain before, by who turned out to be his father; facing down his own father who then cut off his hand; being struck to near death by force-lightening by one of the most insidious Sith lords; having his father die in his arms - if Luke's PTSD is explained in this context and then he eventually shakes out of it and the optimistic and adventurous Luke returns, then this will be fine. I think there will be a scene akin to Vader in Rogue One, with Luke possibly destoryed AT-ATs, Ties etc.

I just hope Rian Johnson has not messed this up by being too experimental, the episodic films therefore will be render thesole preserve of any director to meddle with Star Wars lore as they merely see fit. Already we have not seen some species etc.

I have been more pleased with Rogue One over the last few years of Disney's acquisition of the franchise, and I think that Filoni should be doing some films and having more of a say. Indeed, why not even a Darth Maul standalone film- collaborating with the guys who did Darth Maul: The Apprentice?

13. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Lol. Star Wars has filmed in natural environments for every single entry. Why is filming in the natural environment of Skellig somehow now an excuse for the footage looking like a fan film?

14. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    God no. Not of the EU or KOR stuff.

Rey having Dark side users as parents actually sounds nice. Don't know if you can do anything with that without them overshadowing(vice versa) the other cast.

15. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Not to mention that a lot of Anch-To was filmed at Pinewood.

[​IMG]

You're only a big budget blockbuster if you film exclusively on a green screen and look like a cartoon I guess.

Darth Gummybear and Gigoran Monk like this.
  16. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    During the walker snippet, is that a regular AT-AT towards the back?

17. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Luke dying (especially if Leia does as well) runs the risk of turning the entire OT Big Three into, what's a good term for it, ah "retroactive tragedy." Like can at least ONE of them not have their story end tragically maybe?

18. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Luke will most likely survive. Otherwise, Rey will be stuck in the position he was in at the end of RotJ.

19. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    A “tragic” death depends on the manner of said death. A heroic death, for example (such as Obi-Wan’s, Jyn’s and Cassian’s) is not necessarily tragic. So let’s wait and see how the story is handled.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  20. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    I was so focused on the other aspects of the trailer, the scene with Finn and the Stormtrooper didn't fully register until today. If Finn is in FO custody, will we get to see a Finn and Kylo reunion? I hope so! Kylo obviously has some kind of hatred for Finn, yet he didn't kill him. I want to know what went down between them, besides Kylo not taking care of Finn on Jakku. I believe there is a Kylo-Finn relationship we aren't aware of yet. I hope it's revealed in TLJ!

21. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    See I don't buy this as the be all end all excuse. What's the point of even having discussions then, that can be your answer for everything? The point is, they weren't meant to have tragic endings. That was the point of ROTJ. Now Disney decided to go the "they're broken and miserable" route for this trilogy of course, and it's too late for Han obviously. But both Luke and Leia ending up like that seems like overkill imo. It'd get to the point of "I wish that they hadn't been brought back at all, because at least I could hold onto that last scene in ROTJ as a satisfying ending."

To bring them back after 30+ years, just to go "well they're all going to die tragically/violently here," I do have strong opinions on that idea. I gave Han a pass because it worked in context. I could give Leia a pass since, well Carrie isn't around anymore so they're kind of in a no-win scenario there. But if all three of them go out that way, wow would it be disappointing.

Also SW has plenty of "sacrificial deaths" already, how about letting someone end up happy for a change?

22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I am also very much in the camp of Let Luke Retire and have some Peace.

One friggin happy ending, at least.
    Yoda got his swamp where he could live out his days with Kermit.

23. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    It's 2017, grandpa. We make our locations in computers now. "Filming in natural environments"..? What is this, The Last Jedi: A Snapchat Story? [face_laugh][face_rofl]

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  24. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I wasn’t calling for all the OT3 to die. Just simply saying that “death” does not necessarily equal “tragic death.” Personally, I’d like to see Luke walk off into the sunset. And if I were to guess, I’d say he survives into the next trilogy.

oncafar likes this.