main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rate The Six George Lucas Films, Favorite to Least Favorite (poll added)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by kenobifan1999, Dec 29, 2012.

?

Which is your favourite Star Wars film?

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

26 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

22 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

147 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

75 vote(s)
    12.4%
  5. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

245 vote(s)
    40.5%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

90 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. Commander Krix

Commander Krix Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Bolded are more favorable to watch...

1 - Attack of the Clones
    2 - Revenge of the Sith
    3 - The Phantom Menace
    4 - Return of the Jedi
    5 - Empire Strikes Back
    6 - A New Hope

I like a lot of these lists, and I can certainly understand peoples liking for the OT rather than the PT.
    (Darn... AotC seems to be so knocked off around here. [face_sigh])

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    AotC and RotJ particularly currently interesting how tastes shift.

I'm curious, why is SW last for you? :)

3. Commander Krix

Mar 18, 2013
    Even though ANH began the entire Saga. Every time I would watch it, I could never get the movie to grasp me into watching it. I have never really felt excited to watch the film. The reason the PT rank top three, IMO is because of the use of the CGI. I absolutely loved seeing great animation work! Don't get me wrong saying that, I thought that the episodes IV, V, and VI were very well done, and went off of actual sets versus a LOT of CGI use in the PT. So, now that I narrowed it down, the reason ANH never really intrigued me was probably the little amount of action that there was. It was a wonderful movie, but I'd certainly watch any of the others over ANH.

Edit: One more thing, the beginning scene in ANH can never be forgotten!

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Thank you, Krix. :)

Commander Krix likes this.
  5. Lord Gaos

Lord Gaos Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 24, 2014
    IV - ANH
    V / III - TESB / ROTS are tied basically
    I - TPM
    VI - ROTJ
    II - AOTC

Ranks 4 thru 6 actually vary on any given day. ANH is definitely my fave if, for no other reason, than it is the one that started it all and still have great memories of watching it as a kid

WriterMan likes this.
  6. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    Every time I watch TPM I love it more. I would update my list again but I'll wait a year for the TFA reset just to save Jarren the headache. ;)

7. The Wampa Lover

The Wampa Lover Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 6, 2014
    My rating would be
    1. ROTJ
    2. ANH
    3. ESB
    4. ROTS
    5. AOTC
    6. TPM

-Jedi Joe- and Sarge like this.
  8. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    1. ESB, hands down.
    2. ANH
    3. ROTJ
    4.ROTS
    5.AOTC
    6. TPM

even ANH and ROTJ are kinda tied, but ANH gets that one up for being the beginning.

Sarge likes this.
  9. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    The Original Trilogy is pretty much a three-way tie for me. For the prequels, ROTS is my fave. I and II are really damn close, but I just love the look and atmosphere of TPM so it's just slightly higher.

I voted for A New Hope though, since if I had to pick one to be the best overall, I would go with that one. It also feels the most purely Star Wars to me.

Sarge likes this.
  10. JohnnySB15

JohnnySB15 Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2014
    1. ROTS
    2. ANH
    3. TPM
    4. ROTJ
    5. TESB
    6. AOTC

Jarren_Lee-Saber and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  11. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    1. Attack of the Clones
    2. Revenge of the Sith
    3. The Phantom Menace
    4. The Empire Strikes Back
    5. A New Hope
    6. Return of the Jedi

I've had a weird relationship with TPM. I've gone from feeling apathetic towards it; to considering the best of the prequels; to disliking it for the most part with the exception of its visuals, and now, perhaps finally, to feeling as though it's above all of the OT installments.

12. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. A New Hope
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. Revenge of the Sith
    5. The Phantom Menace
    6. Attack of the Clones

A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back I love almost equally, but Empire is my favorite film of all time. Return of the Jedi I find to be a bit uneven compared to A New Hope and Empire, but I still adore it and think it's a great film. Any complaints I have about it are less an indictment against its own quality, and more an exoneration of the other two films' borderline perfection and the high standard they set right out of the gate. All three films still look beautiful, as if they were just filmed yesterday. The Special Edition effects, particularly on the Blu-Rays, do help with that, and I feel they actually enhance the films more often than hinder them, but whatever. I find the action scenes to be as exhilarating now as I did when I was a little kid, and the character work and themes only resonate more strongly with age. The whole trilogy just works on every level, and it's difficult to put into words just how much I love it.

Revenge of the Sith, I feel with a few tweaks here and there, would be equal to/greater than Return of the Jedi, but there are a few false notes in it (particularly the love dialogue, again) that knock its quality down a few pegs in my book. Don't get me wrong, I still like it a lot, and I think for the most part it's extremely effective at accomplishing what it sets out to do. Also, Hayden's acting improves tremendously in this film. I also really like The Phantom Menace, just not quite as much as Sith, although I will say it's aged the most gracefully out of the prequels. I think there's a great film in there with some better editing, and if you dial down Jar-Jar's hijinks, and give Jake Lloyd some better direction in a couple of key spots. That said, the climax is perhaps my favorite of all six films, and I also feel this is where Padme's character is portrayed the strongest. Then we come to Attack of the Clones, a film I have a difficult relationship with and have the hardest time liking. Don't get me wrong, I do still like it, I just don't enjoy it nearly as much as the others, and it's the only one I genuinely don't think is good. I don't think it's bad, either, but just "okay". Part of the issue is the over-reliance on CGI. I don't have a problem with CGI as a general rule, but I think it works best when enhancing what's already physically there, as opposed to replacing physical sets/actors/props outright. It's not as big of a problem in Sith, but that's because they improved their technique and had slightly stronger digital capabilities at that point. For instance, the final battle on Geonosis, which used to be so exciting when I first saw it, now rings flat. I just don't feel it; it doesn't feel real. It's partly the CGI, partly the way the whole thing is shot in order to accommodate technological limitations. The choreography during the Anakin/Obi-Wan fight against Dooku is also pretty weak. And there' the romantic dialogue, which has been beaten to death so often over the past twelve years it barely stands mentioning. I think the films works best, and I like it best, when it focuses on Obi-Wan investigating the conspiracy, but then it cuts back to Anakin and Padme on Naboo and the whole film starts dragging again.

Overall I find the Original Trilogy to be much better filmmaking in every capacity, and thus far more effective than the Prequel Trilogy. However, I still appreciate the PT for the story it tells and its importance to the saga, and some of my favorite moments come from those three films. I just don't unabashedly love it as much as the OT.

And there's my totally unsolicited review of the entire saga.

13. Delta-7

Delta-7 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 24, 2002
    Here is my list:
    1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. A New Hope
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. The Phantom Menace
    6. Attack of the Clones

14. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. A New Hope
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. Revenge of the Sith
    5. The Phantom Menace
    6. Attack of the Clones

Pretty huge disparity in quality between the top and bottom, while ROTJ is also not to the same standard as TESB and ANH.

Sarge likes this.
  15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Totally off-topic, but the guy in your avatar looks eerily similar to my old boss [face_laugh]

16. HeadingSouth

HeadingSouth Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2014
    1. The Empire Strikes Back.
    2. Star Wars.
    3. Return Of The Jedi.
    4. Revenge Of The Sith.
    5. Attack Of The Clones.
    6. The Phantom Menace.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Pax Sithus

Pax Sithus Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2014
    ESB
    ANH
    ROTJ
    ROTS
    TPM
    AOTC

Sarge likes this.
  18. Lando Griffin

Lando Griffin Jedi Youngling

Dec 13, 2014
    1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. Return of the Jedi
    3. A New Hope
    4. Revenge of the Sith
    5. The Phantom Menace
    6. Attack of the Clones​

Sarge and Pax Sithus like this.
  19. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Hey guys, I've decided to merge my love of Star Wars and arithmetic. ;) The result is a spreadsheet which lists and automatically calculates everyone's votes :)

LINK

Note: there are two sheets. One with info on all the voters +their rankings and another with calculated results.

Hope you like it. I'll keep it updated.
    ---------------------------------------------
    1. The Empire Strikes Back: 1774 points (168 users listed it as their favourite, 19 as their least fav.)
    2. Revenge of the Sith: 1501 (79 fav., 18 least fav.)
    3. A New Hope: 1481 (43 fav., 28 least fav.)
    4. Return of the Jedi: 1373 (49 fav., 36 least fav.)
    5. Attack of the Clones: 867 (17 fav., 131 least fav.)
    6. The Phantom Menace: 837 (17 fav., 141 least fav.)

**Calculated from 373 users.

20. Commander Krix

Mar 18, 2013
    Unbelievable! AotC sits higher than TPM! I'm very impressed with the results. :D

Alienware likes this.
  21. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014

Incredibly underrated film, even by Star Wars fans.

22. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    But both TPM and AotC are still lagging behind considerably. It was kind of disheartening when I was inputting the results and had to constantly give 1 or 2 points (6th and 5th place) to these two episodes [face_sigh]

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    FC
    TVH
    TUC
    TWOK
    GEN
    TSFS
    TFF
    NEM
    TMP
    INSS

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. Commander Krix

Mar 18, 2013

:( :_|

25. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Just thought I'd give my dad's ranking, since I only ever thought to ask him what it was today, even though he's a lifelong fan that grew up with (and introduced me to) the series.

1. Return of the Jedi
    2. Revenge of the Sith
    3. The Empire Strikes Back
    4. A New Hope
    5. The Phantom Menace
    6. Attack of the Clones

I've also been re-watching the saga with my brother over the past few days, and we both agree that we find ourselves appreciating and enjoying A New Hope more and more every time we watch it. Right now, I feel A New Hope sneaking up on The Empire Strikes Back, either to tie it or possibly even surpass it as my favorite.