main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rate The Six George Lucas Films, Favorite to Least Favorite (poll added)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by kenobifan1999, Dec 29, 2012.

?

Which is your favourite Star Wars film?

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

26 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

22 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

147 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

75 vote(s)
    12.4%
  5. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

245 vote(s)
    40.5%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

90 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. darksideDINO

darksideDINO Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    ESB (10)
    ANH (9)
    ROTJ (7)
    ROTS (6)
    TPM (5)
    AOTC (4)​

May seem like I'm being a tad harsh, but the way I see it only one film out of six dips below the average bar.
    That's a median of 6.8. Me just dun mafs...I fink??? :confused:

lovelikewinter and Sarge like this.
  2. darth_revan96

darth_revan96 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 18, 2015
    1. ESB
    2. ROTJ
    3.ANH

Much further down...

4. ROTS

I dislike TPM and AOTC equally so I wont put them on the list. I don't absolutely hate TPM and AOTC, but i find them to be so inferior to the Original trilogy and even ROTS that i don't want to include them in the ranking. As they stand they are alright films but they can't stand with the other 4.

3. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    ROTS
    ESB
    ROTJ
    ANH
    AOTC
    TPM

I like them all though.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  4. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    1. ROTJ
    2. ESB
    3. ROTS
    4. ANH
    5. AOTC
    6. TPM (still enjoyable overall)

ROTJ and ESB are practically tied for me.

-Jedi Joe- and Ewok Poet like this.
  5. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    1. ESB
    2. ROTJ
    3. ANH
    4. ROTS
    5. TPM
    6. AOTC

6. Ethereal Darkness

Ethereal Darkness Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2015
    1. ESB
    2. ANH
    3. ROTS
    4. ROTJ
    5. AOTC
    6. TPM

All of them are very good and enjoyable, I can't wait to see what Episode 7 has to offer.

7. Addison Del Mastro

Addison Del Mastro Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2015
    1. Return of the Jedi
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. Attack of the Clones
    4. The Phantom Menace
    5. A New Hope
    6. Revenge of the Sith

Davak24, -Jedi Joe- and Ewok Poet like this.
  8. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. A New Hope
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. Revenge of the Sith
    5. Attack of the Clones
    6. The Phantom Menace

9. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    At some point each one has been my favorite for a long period of time.
    1.) TESB
    It's just not a great SW movie, it's a great movie overall. A lot of fans I know in person actually don't like it because it's slow, but it adds so much weight.

2.) RotS
    I like how it pieces everything together. We got Separatists, Rebels, Republic, and Empire all in one movie. It's dark and there's some great action and character sequences. We also get to see Darth Vader fall into lava like we've been told since the beginning.

3.) RotJ
    The battle to end all battles. I escpecially love the space battle. The rescue of Han can get too distracting, but I see it in this conclusion they defeat the underworld and the Empire. And of course the Ewoks don't feel like they fit in a conclusion. Han should've had more to do. Maybe have him in the Falcon with Lando and Leia using her diplomacy skills on Endor with Chewbacca to help her?

4.) AotC
    I like the mystery feeling and the Battle of Geonosis. But feel there were better ways to write the start of the Clone Wars. Too much is devoted to Anakin and his mother, but this is of course needed based on his turn

5.) TPM
    The first 15 minutes or so with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan on the Federation battleship, and the Viceroy talking with Lord Sidious, is one of my favorite parts in the whole saga. Tatooine feels slow, but I love the Podrace as a sports fan

6.) ANH
    I love the Tatooine and Yavin IV sequences, but running on the Death Star killing Stormtroopers left and right feels like it takes some from the Empire.

None of these movies are bad and I've watched each one thousands of times.

10. Mandalore The Ultimate

Mandalore The Ultimate Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2015
    Attack of the Clones

The Empire Strikes Back

Revenge of the Sith

A New Hope

Return of the Jedi

The Phantom Menace ( Not even because of Jar Jar )

Mindless Monster likes this.
  11. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jo B1 Kenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jul 3, 2014
    Oddly enough this is my list at the moment (although it does change from time to time depending on what I've watched most recently)

Joint 1st. Revenge of the Sith - for it's amazing beginning with Palpatines's Rescue and the fantastic Mustafar fight and ending - brilliant!

Joint 1st. Attack of the Clones - for the chase through Coruscant - the lights and colours of this blow me away every time I see it - the Kamino fight, the Tatooine scenes and the battle of Geonosis. I thought this one was really rich in terms of giving us a feel for these wildly different other worlds and the beauty they have. I think it's a like an amazing moving painting.

Joint 3rd. A New Hope - I love everything except the final fighter attack on the death star bit.

Joint 3rd. Empire Strikes Back - Hoth, Dagobah, Cloud City - all fabulous.

5th. The Phantom Menace - I loved the opening sequence and I liked the scenes on Tattooine (except the actual pod-race which always seemed overly long and boring to me). The battle of Theed and the Gungan battle on the plains was pretty OK too.

6th. Return of the Jedi - Loved the Scout Troopers and the confrontation with Palpatine at the end but attacking another death star seemed a bit samey to me.

I never realised before but the 'look' of the film seems to matter to me at least as much as the story. I'm very captivated by striking visuals. I think it's this which tips the balance for me betwee the the PT and the OT, but it's a close run thing.

12. fl00dsm0k3

fl00dsm0k3 Jedi Knight

Nov 3, 2012
    ROTS
    ESB
    ANH
    ROTJ
    AOTC
    TPM

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  13. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013

Thanks for these updates. It's a nice thing you're doing here.

One thing I'm just a little confused about. Just 2 pages back ROTS was 100 points away from TESB and 250 points above ANH. Also TPM was above ATOC by almost 100 points. The results seem to have shifted radically between this update and the last. The voting between updates seemed to follow a pretty normal pattern and couldn't explain the difference. Do you know what the explanation for this is? Was there a problem with tabulation before?

14. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    The thread starter looks at the fav to least fav ratio. Otherwise, ROTJ would be ahead of ANH.

15. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    1.Rots 2.Tpm 3.Esb 4.Anh 5.Aotc 6.Rotj

Darkslayer and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  16. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    You mean there was a difference between my rankings? Because I know that RotS was much closer to TESB when Jarren was doing the calculations, but I always thought he was doing it by hand. That's why I made a spreadsheet where all I have to do is input the numbers from 6 to 1. I follow this thread and update the rankings regularly. There might have been some hiccups along the way, I know that I've made some mistakes in the sheet at the beginning, but you can be assured that the points are given correctly at this time. Anyone can check for themselves if I've made a correct input for them.

17. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015
    1. ESB (9.5)
    2.ANH (9.0)
    3.ROTS(8.0)
    4.ROTJ(7.5)
    5.TPM(7.0)
    6.AOTC(5.0)

18. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    1. Return Of The Jedi

2. The Empire Strikes Back

3. A New Hope

4. Attack Of The Clones

5. The Phantom Menace

6. Revenge Of The Sith

lovelikewinter, -Jedi Joe- and Sarge like this.
  19. Alienware

Apr 19, 2013
    A new statistic :)

[​IMG]

20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Isn't it the other way round?

21. Alienware

Apr 19, 2013
    It wasn't wrong, for example, No. of 6's is a number of first place rankings (meaning that it gets 6 points) and so on down to No. of 1's.

But I changed it now to be more intuitive.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    User experience matters, definitely. :) Thanks.

Alienware likes this.
  23. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I'd probably place AOTC over ANH now after I rewatched them back to back. Otherwise, my previous ranking still stands so:

ROTS > TESB > ROTJ (actually now that I think about it, V and VI could switch) > AOTC > ANH > TPM

24. GrimdarkRose

GrimdarkRose Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 19, 2015
    1. Return of the Jedi - Love everything about it
    2. The Empire Strikes Back - Yoda and Hoth scenes in particular
    3. Revenge of the Sith - mostly for Anakin and Obi-Wan's friendship :)
    4. A New Hope
    5. The Phantom Menace
    6. Attack of the Clones
    This was a really hard decision - I love all the Star Wars films pretty much equally, no matter their faults [face_love]

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  25. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Great work (must have taken you a while to rack all those numbers up) and great graphic!

Visuals cut through the matter like a hot knife through butter. Look at those lovely, palpable patterns.

It is, of course, TESB that leads the pack with a mighty light purple bar, simply towering over the rest in first. And there is strong affection for ANH with the tallest orange bar denoting second place, too.

Interesting to note how many people place ROTS at fourth place, though. It also out-ranks ROTJ for first and second positions, but not third! I think the thing to infer here is that a lot of people like either ANH and TESB or TESB and ROTJ more than ROTS, and others like the whole of the OT more than any prequel, but some are prepared to put ROTS next. It clearly has a healthier set of first, second third, and fourth rankings than TPM or AOTC.

Manifestly, TPM and AOTC are practically neck-and-neck as the lowest-ranked installments. Their numbers are quite similar. TPM's sixth and fifth place rankings add up to 302 votes, while AOTC's same rankings add up to 303 -- just one vote in it! A few more people (30 versus 19) rate AOTC second, however; and just two more (20 versus 18) put it first. It's hard to say which is the better-liked, or the least-loved, but AOTC clinches the former; TPM is the poorest-regarded, by a hair.

I love how the graphic suddenly becomes more scrambled, moving left-to-right, when you get to ROTS. This entire graphic also gives the lie to the notion that people on TFN are somehow madly in love with the PT. They really don't appear to be. I suspect you could run this poll on a site like originaltrilogy,com and obtain similar results.

Personally, I think ranking the films is a facile exercise; but your graphic has almost swayed me to take part. Cool stuff. Of course, were I to give my rankings now, they'd only be all the more contrived and ineluctably influenced by your work. Best to continue not bothering. :p Again, nice effort, though.

Alienware likes this.