main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rate Star Wars Titles Favourite to Least Favourite

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Seagoat, Nov 8, 2014.

?

Which Star Wars title is your favourite?

1. The Phantom Menace

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Attack of the Clones

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Revenge of the Sith

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. A New Hope

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. The Empire Strikes Back

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  6. Return of the Jedi

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  7. The Force Awakens

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Alright, given the now revealed title of Ep VII, I came up with this idea. This is NOT a "fave to least fave" episode poll, there already is one for that. This is solely for how much you like the titles, be they for aesthetic reasons, how they sound, or how they relate to the saga overall
    If I had to make a list of my own, it would be:

The Phantom Menace
    Return of the Jedi
    Revenge of the Sith
    A New Hope
    The Force Awakens
    Attack of the Clones
    The Empire Strikes Back

It isn't that I dislike the titles for AOTC and TESB - it's just they're very literal descriptions of actions, whereas the rest of them are more vague and give a tone rather than something like "this happens in the movie"
    Yes, I'm aware that TFA is a progressive verb, but obviously it's more metaphysical than that

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    None of them.

3. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I surmise due to the fact that all of them imply an aggression of sorts?

It would be refreshing to see a title like, "The Era of Peace" or something

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  4. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The Force Awakens. I know it's been getting a lot of backlash but I think it's creative!

Carrie Walsh likes this.
  5. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Very perceptive, Jon. :) That is part of it, yes. The other is none of them really stir wonder in me they feel bland.

Empress Shatterpoint and Seagoat like this.
  6. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace are my favourite titles, basically for sounding reasons.

Don't like AOTC and ROTS very much, simply because I had dreamt of The Clone Wars and Rise of the Empire before.

The Force Awakens' not too bad. Although really mysterious (wasn't the Force already there before ?)...

7. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    1. Return of the Jedi
    2. The Phantom Menace
    3. A New Hope
    4. The Empire Strikes Back
    5. The Force Awakens
    6. Revenge of the Sith
    7. Attack of the Clones

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    All six titles of the movies that have come out work. AOTC is the only question mark however imo.
    No comment on TFA until I see the movie.
    ANH should be SW as well.

9. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I considered putting simply "Star Wars" as a choice to choose for ANH, but that refers to the entire series. Like it technically isn't just say, "Attack of the Clones", it's "Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones"
    Ditto for ANH. Either way "Star Wars" is in the title, so it would overlap to all

10. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Honestly, I didn't think TFA was my favorite title until I looked at them all next to eachother. Maybe it's just because all the other titles have become second nature to me, but TFA sticks out as particularly exciting. It feels both monumentally eventful and truly meaningful in a way the other titles don't (the other titles are either one or the other). But at the same time, there's a goofy charm to the others that I love, particularly Attack of the Clones and The Empire Strikes Back.

11. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I'd still include Star Wars as a separate entry, being the original title of the first film, but it does confuse people these days, sadly. Anyway:

1. Star Wars
    2. Return of the Jedi
    3. The Empire Strikes Back
    4. The Phantom Menace
    5. A New Hope
    6. Revenge of the Sith
    7. The Force Awakens
    8. Attack of the Clones

In a series called Star Wars?

enigmaticjedi and Force Smuggler like this.
  12. Darth Ardyti

Darth Ardyti Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2014
    Well, I voted The Force Awakens, but overall ranking titles:

1. The Phantom Menace
    2. A New Hope
    3. The Force Awakens
    4. Revenge of the Sith
    5. Return of the Jedi
    6. The Empire Strikes Back
    7. Attack of the Clones
    The more descriptive the title, the less I like it. Although there's also the fact that I have a funny association with The Empire Strikes Back that ties into seeing a vintage trailer for it last year, so it makes it extra hard to take it that seriously. :D

13. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Why not, Nub? Shouldn't the wars have an end point?

Seagoat likes this.
  14. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    1.) Attack Of The Clones
    Fits the movie perfectly. On the surface, it just seems to be an entertaining pulp adventure film in tradition of the b-movie serials that Lucas used to see. However, it's much more. The whole movie turns audience expectations on their head and so does the title. The camera tilts up, not down. "Senator Amidala" has been assasinated, but only her decoy. Dooku is not just a "political idealist", but also a Sith-Lord. The Jedi are not exclusive "Keepers of the Peace", but also War Generals. The Clone Army has been ordered by a Jedi, but is now (secretly) under control of the Sith. And these Clones are not (yet) some evil toopers who attack the good guys, but they are still soldiers who "attack" in order to save the "good guys".

2.) The Phantom Menace
    Good title. I like the sound of it and it's both obvious (there is a menace) and mysterious (who is it and why?).

3.) Return Of The Jedi / Revenge Of The Sith
    They are both a tad too literal and therefore revealing, but I still like the symmetry of both of them and their similarity.

4.) The Empire Strikes Back
    I don't have particular positive or negative feelings here. It's an adequate title, not very controversial. Fits the movie.

5.) A New Hope
    Again, not anything particularly positive or negative. It's just seems to be the least exciting and the most afterthought-ish.

6.) The Force Awakens
    Non-competitive. Can't really judge the title without having seen the movie. Feels a bit too serious or presumptuous now, but we'll have to see. Depends on the movie.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Can't say I like 'The Force Awakens'. It's too specific and therefore doesn't follow the same mysterious concept like 'The Phantom Menace' and 'A New Hope'.

Voted for 'A New Hope'.

16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    We don't know what it is referring to yet.

Kind of hard to have the title "Era of Peace" if it refers to the last five minutes only imo. Balance of the Force or something like that would be better.
    I don't see a main movie ever not being about war.

Darth Ardyti likes this.
  17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The Force Awakens. We don't know the 'how', but the subject is pretty obvious. In that sense, 'A Force Awakens' would be more consistent with the previous titles of the first chapter of each trilogy.

18. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    I think Revenge of the Sith should have been Rise of the Empire.

19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I disagree, FS, but interesting thought.

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    If there was an Epilogue movie, that might work...........

21. Carrie Walsh

Carrie Walsh Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 13, 2014
    My opinion is probably biased because of all the hype surrounding Episode VII right now, but I honestly feel like The Force Awakens is the best title so far. None of them stand out that much, but this one feels the most equally monumental and perplexing. I don't see why a lot of people are complaining about it.

22. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    1i thought disney stuff wasmbanned from this group of forums?? Where is the place to just discuss Star War films pre disney??

23. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Not sure about a complete ranking, but The Phantom Menace is definitely my favorite title of the seven.

24. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Pretty sure the policy is the same as PT and OT threads - if it's to do with the saga as a whole, then it goes here. Even TCW-centric threads end up here if the topic relates to the saga as a whole

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Not like we are talking about major spoilers/plot points from the ST.