main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rate TFA from 1 to 10 (you only get 1 vote, so see it as much as you need before voting!)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Nerdling, Dec 16, 2015.

?

Rank TFA on a scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being best and 1 being worst

1. 10 (BEST FILM EVER!)

67 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. 9

257 vote(s)
    34.3%
  3. 8

180 vote(s)
    24.0%
  4. 7

91 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. 6

46 vote(s)
    6.1%
  6. 5

28 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. 4

23 vote(s)
    3.1%
  8. 3

12 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. 2

9 vote(s)
    1.2%
  10. 1

37 vote(s)
    4.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014

If people just buy into the concept that the romance is intentionally old-fashioned the dialogue becomes not only more bearable, but a lot of fun in my eyes. AOTC is a 30s film with the veneer of a modern effects blockbuster. It's probably the most daring Star Wars film in a lot of ways.

2. -LordSkywalker-

-LordSkywalker- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I hear you. I have a friend who was very critical of Lucas about the prequels and after seeing TFA, he was like I owe Lucas an apology.

I have to say the spectrum of reactions to this movie is very interesting.

3. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    It's not just that, it's that I couldn't follow the reasoning of their supposed romance. Just didn't click for me, and Padme seemed to overlook too much. The dialogue I could actually forgive for the most part. Part of my problem is I just don't like Anakin. At all. What can you do.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  4. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Padme changing clothes every scene was distracting. Lucas had no grip and thought he was doing a 50s costume drama or something. The bondage gear she wore at night in Naboo with Anakin was just cringy and bad.

5. Mindless Monster

Dec 4, 2014

Perfectly reasonable. Maybe I've just watched too much Turner Classic Movies, but there are so many films from that era where boy meets girl and for whatever hollow, vapid reason the next thing you know they're willing to die for one another. I can totally relate to Padme's rationale being a little murky, but I think the clues are there, but there's no doubt that her feelings are underplayed. Anakin is like James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause. I just love his quiet intensity and I think he really knocks it out of the park when he has to(the confession scene and his argument with Obi aboard the gunship).

6. Mindless Monster

Dec 4, 2014

I actually love that. Her costume reveals her true feelings. It's a great piece of visual storytelling.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and earlchinna like this.
  7. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Bah, you're going to make me watch it again.

Maybe after I catch TFA one more time ;)

earlchinna and Mindless Monster like this.
  8. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    As a hardcore SW fan, I'd give it a 9. No SW movie for me gets less than an 8 honestly.

Were I not a hardcore fan, it might be closer to an 8.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  9. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I rated it a 7 after I first saw it but as I kept seeing it over and over, the more I loved it. I gotta give it a solid 9. I dont see how JJ Abrams couldve done a much better job, IMO

BB-8 My Homework likes this.
  10. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I think anything between a 6 and a 9 is fair. I can't understand giving it a 1 at all. I definitely think that it's closest to ANH and ESB in terms of quality.

11. JediKnightYJK

JediKnightYJK Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 17, 2016
    If only something creative thing was done with Starkiller Base I would of give it a 10. SKB is the only thing making me pick 9.

12. beebee-ate

beebee-ate Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Which is considerably lower than, say, IMDb's score of 8.4 (based on the votes of 400,000+ users). Interesting.

13. RinaRayLove

RinaRayLove Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2016
    Solid 9.
    It has everything I asked for in a SW movie. There's undertone romance for my Reylo. Cute humor between bb8 n Finn. The intro was just one of the best ever n the lightsaber duel was so raw n emotional. It had 1 point taken because it had bad lines from Leia that felt really outta place but overall awesome movie.

14. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Median is 8, % of votes 7 or higher is 79%.

15. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

Her costume reveals her true feelings?? Right. You know who doesn't think it's good storytelling to imply that even if a woman is saying no, her clothes show that she's saying yes? Women. Before you even take into account "reasonable men", that's fifty percent of the population who will see that scene as utterly idiotic and irresponsible.

But don't take my word for it, anakinfansince1983 has posted for more succinctly on the subject than I could.

I mean, there's looking through rose tinted glasses, and then there's apologism for absolutely indefensible writing that treats women as objects who's only reason to give a perfunctory no is so the hero can be shown as being charming enough to not give up.

Absolutely indefensible.

16. Mindless Monster

Dec 4, 2014

I think you're being hyperbolic here. The fireplace scene doesn't depict Anakin taking advantage of Padme in anyway. When Padme makes the argument that their relationship simply isn't viable, Anakin concedes that she's right. I think Padme's costume is being used as a visual tool to reveal that she does harbor sexual desire for Anakin. NOW does that mean Anakin has the right to take that and run with it? No, absolutely not, but part of cinema is using visuals to convey a story. Costumes can and do have significance. It's not treating Padme as an object to acknowledge certain cinematic truths. And Padme in AOTC is far from a sexual object. She is the one that takes charge in Obi-Wan's rescue. She's the one that decides to take their relationship to the next level. She's the one that unchains herself and is able to hold her own in the arena. She is sexualized, but there's a greater narrative purpose to it. It's not gratuitous like a Michael Bay film.

Ezon Pin and earlchinna like this.
  17. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Completely disagree. And I really think it's a stretch to see subtlety or genius in "we can show what Padme's real feelings are by, er...dressing her in bondage gear"

How about showing real feelings by writing good dialogue and directing the actors to believably show nuance and subtext?

Artoo-Dion and Darth__Lobot like this.
  18. Darth EL Pollo Loco

Darth EL Pollo Loco Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    A solid 9.

My second favorite film behind ESB

19. Mindless Monster

Dec 4, 2014

I think dialogue in film is overrated. Silent films said so much with their imagery alone and Lucas has often compared the nature of Star Wars to that of a silent film. The guy is a visual storyteller, dialogue for him is largely an after-thought, so when someone is dressed a certain way in Star Wars be sure there is an artistic intent to it.

20. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Dialogue for him is indeed an afterthought. You don't need to buy into that being a good thing though. For dialogue to be functional, It has to work: poor dialogue dominates a film more than natural dialogue. If George truly wanted to tell the scene visually, he needed to get the dialogue sorted so that the jarring dialogue didn't detract from the visuals.

TK327 likes this.
  21. Mindless Monster

Dec 4, 2014

The dialogue to me is functional and it's fun in an overwrought cheesy way. I just really enjoy the stageplay-ness of both AOTC and ROTS.

Ezon Pin and earlchinna like this.
  22. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I gave TFA a 9/10 - for being a wonderful breath of fresh air to the SW franchise, by perfectly blending both the older legends with the new characters, although that Starkiller Base is a disappointment (preventing me from giving a perfect 10)! ^:)^

23. StarWarsFTW

StarWarsFTW Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2016
    I gave it a solid 9 I loved it is probably my favourite Star Wars of all time I was on the edge of my seat the entire time

24. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    EDIT: Thinking about it, I still think TFA deserves at least a low 7/10.

25. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.