main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rate TFA from 1 to 10 (you only get 1 vote, so see it as much as you need before voting!)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Nerdling, Dec 16, 2015.

?

Rank TFA on a scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being best and 1 being worst

1. 10 (BEST FILM EVER!)

67 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. 9

257 vote(s)
    34.3%
  3. 8

180 vote(s)
    24.0%
  4. 7

91 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. 6

46 vote(s)
    6.1%
  6. 5

28 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. 4

23 vote(s)
    3.1%
  8. 3

12 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. 2

9 vote(s)
    1.2%
  10. 1

37 vote(s)
    4.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clemdawg

clemdawg Jedi Padawan

Oct 29, 2015
    I give it a 5. Kylo Wren was pathetic. The temper tantrum scene were he has his light saber and starts swinging wildly at the computer in that room made him look pathetic. While Vader was always calm, Wren seems more like a child. They better fix that before the next one.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

2. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Consider that it was intentional.

3. clemdawg

clemdawg Jedi Padawan

Oct 29, 2015
    How do you mean "intentional"?

4. TeamSolo

TeamSolo Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2016
    I liked it right up until they killed Han Solo so it gets a low score from me.

5. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Big jump since December 68.5%~ of votes now rate is 8 or higher.

6. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Kylo Ren being unstable was a deliberate artistic choice.

7. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    He means it was intentional to portray Kylo Ren as more immature than Vader. He was, after all, clearly imitating Vader, whilst having none of his cool confidence. It was deliberate, and therefore not something the filmmakers will need to "fix."

8. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015

I think it's clear his outbursts were intentional, but just in case, for some support, JJ confirms this:

"“Long before we had this title, the idea of The Force Awakens was that this would become the evolution of not just a hero, but a villain. And not a villain who was the finished, ready-made villain, but someone who was in process.”

“All of us bring our own experiences to it. As a father, as a friend to people who have children, I know what it’s like to see struggle, to be part of struggle. I know how painful it can be. I know how real it is. And this is, of course, an insane extrapolated version.”

Now, maybe you just don't like how he was written? That's totally fine. You're entitled to that. But he's exactly how he's supposed to be.

9. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015

I liked it, I like an actual portrayal of real anger in the Saga. Besides we've already had a character like Darth Vader......Darth Vader and we can all agree it doesn't get any better than him, So to try and create a character just like him would have been a bad idea i think, it would have inevitably fallen way short.

10. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I'd honestly rate TFA at least a 9! Only one notch below empire and that's mostly just because of nostalgia. Kylo ren was awesome, Rey and Finn are likeable characters and their dialog doesn't make you want to vomit! Unlike certain other actors from the prequels. Plus i love that we get to see a storm trooper with a concience. People keep saying this is a ripp off of the original. I don't remember any defecting storm troopers or a female main hero who actually gets to use a lightsaber! Yes I do believe J.J. pulled it off! He made a damn fine star wars movie that feels like it belongs!

11. clemdawg

clemdawg Jedi Padawan

Oct 29, 2015
    I understand your point. Yet I look at all the Sith before him and Ren doesnt match up. He wheres a helmet to imitate Vader. That whole concept should not have been done. He should have been his own character. Maul, Duku, and Vader all were. Its my view that Wren is a petulant child villain.

12. Mootsy

Mootsy Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2016
    That's the whole point!!

Vader and the Sith has been done before, multiple times..

They went for something new on TFA..

13. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015

Maul and Dooku are rather Hollow Villains though, not much Substance at all, especially Maul, don't get me wrong he looks really cool and his "moves" are entertaining but as a bad guy.....not very interesting.

Kylo has substance and a journey to take, we'll see is progression in the Dark Side, it should be interesting. But we are veering off-topic, so we can discuss this further in the Adam Driver / Kylo Ren thread if you want to

14. SageOfRage

SageOfRage Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2016
    9/10. Best film ever to me is the original Star Wars.

Love the new one, The Force AWakens brought me back to the Star Wars I know.

PymParticles likes this.
  15. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    The problem with him for me is that I don't think the film makers really knew what they wanted from the character. Early on you get the sense that he's being built up as a more direct Vader replacement with a sense of mystery around him but then this seems to be dropped with a but very dramatic reveal of his true nature and a shift towards being a stroppy teen with limited motivation.

The character just felt like it was caught between different approaches to me and ended up doing none of them well as a result having to call back to a rather clichéd archetype to sell it. I think they'd have been better off either keeping him masked and more mysterious until the scene with Han or building up some depth around his turn to the dark side and his relationship with Han much earlier.

Darthman92 likes this.
  16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Discuss Kylo in his own thread, please.

17. bozey

bozey Jedi Knight

Aug 17, 2010
    8.5 for me.

-.5 for sound effects. the falcon and lukes saber sounded odd to me. at one point during the jakku escape right before the falcon enters the star destroyer the sound of the engines had the exact sound as the slave 1. what I call a "diesel" sound. and lukes saber sounded very bassey when ignited. kylos saber sounded fantastic though.

-.5 for the unoriginal story. not really a big deal for me. I'm hoping it was to spring board a new trilogy but if ep 8 is an empire rehash, we have a serious problem.

-.5 for the botched leia and chewie moment after hans death. JJ came clean and admitted his mistake but I will never forgive him for that one.

18. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015
    I voted 7 but now I'm at an 8, having had it sink in more.

I used to have a hard time putting it ahead of ROTJ (which might be my favorite from childhood), but looking back it's easy to find problems in that one. Neither are perfect movies, but I give TFA the slight edge for never hitting slow patches (e.g. Han & Leia trying to open a door for 20 minutes).

19. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
  20. DarthEndus

DarthEndus Jedi Knight

Jan 12, 2016
    10/10 for me. It's my favorite movie. I love Rey. The lightsaber battle was my favorite of the series. Acting was excellent across the board. My initial reaction was that I loved it and that it was the best of the saga and I only feel more confident in that assertion after many viewings. Did I mention that I love Rey?

BB-8 My Homework and Frank T. like this.
  21. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    8 from me, Starkiller Base really brings it down for me and puts it in your face that it's a thinly-veiled remake. I didn't mind all the other callbacks at all but Starkiller Base seems lazy, even if it makes sense in-universe. I love the characters and the cinematography and the feel of the movie as a whole though. I miss the old alien species though, weird that they didn't have a single Twi'lek or Rodian.

22. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

not if she was trained at the academy

23. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    (I am a Star Wars fan).
    On imdb,it got 8.3 from 10.

24. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I put in 4 at first, but I may drop it down to 3 or 2. Its a bad, bad film

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  25. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    That's because this board is filling up with newbies (like you) who just discovered Star Wars and think The Farce Awakens is the best film ever.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.