main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rate TFA from 1 to 10 (you only get 1 vote, so see it as much as you need before voting!)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Nerdling, Dec 16, 2015.

?

Rank TFA on a scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being best and 1 being worst

1. 10 (BEST FILM EVER!)

67 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. 9

257 vote(s)
    34.3%
  3. 8

180 vote(s)
    24.0%
  4. 7

91 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. 6

46 vote(s)
    6.1%
  6. 5

28 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. 4

23 vote(s)
    3.1%
  8. 3

12 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. 2

9 vote(s)
    1.2%
  10. 1

37 vote(s)
    4.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I'd like to see a score that removes anyone that joined around the time the film came out. Real Star Wars fans, not banwagoners. Actually, anyone who joined after the first trailer came out.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Dude. Really? What about SW fans that just discovered the site during that time you listed?
    Not everyone is a bandwagoner. They easily could have been fans for years but just now decided to get on the site. Or got on the site for a reason not related to the movie.

3. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    That assumes that someone who became a fan because of TFA is not a "real Star Wars fan". Do we really want to go down that road?

4. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    There is that possibility, but those numbers would probably be around 2% (at best) of the MASSIVE amounts we had joined at that time.

5. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    I never said that. Plenty of TFA's loudest admirers are OT purists who have been here for decades.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  6. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015

I had actually joined back in 1999-2000- but I was 9. I wasn't up for the task of debating intellectually at the time and it wasn't until recently that I even thought I'd like to have people to talk SW with. My husband is not nearly as into it as I am, and I have no friends that feel the same way about it, either

But just because you joined for TFA, or it was instigated by it, or whatever, doesn't make you a "fake" Star Wars fan. Be careful with that wording. I say any new meat is good for the fandom as a whole.

7. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    So what's your point, then? That a bunch of "fair weather fans" joined, voted up TFA and then went onto the next fad?

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  8. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Jarren_Lee-Saber

Real SW fans are people who saw it in the cinema in 1977 and don't know what the hell A New Hope is.

So you don't count.

9. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I've seen it two more times since opening night, the most recent time being last Friday, and my initial rating of 9 still stands. Is it my favorite Star Wars movie? No. Is it the best? No. ANH (my favorite film of all time) and TESB (my second favorite film of all time) are both perfect 10s in my book, but this ranks right above Return of the Jedi for me, which I'd give an 8 if asked.

The film is by no means perfect, but any issues I have with the film feel more like nitpicks than anything else. A couple of the fan service winks and nods, for instance. The training remote, the holochess table, the trash compactor line. I mean, that kind of stuff and a lack of ingenuity relative of ingenuity drop the film a whole point for me, but everything else works. Even the Starkiller Base, to a certain degree. I think the reason why it doesn't really bother me is the same reason the Death Star II doesn't; blowing it up isn't the dramatic core of the third act like it is in ANH, it's just a high-stakes backdrop to the dramatic meat-and-potatoes. So nothing substantially bothers me.

And I've read all the complains and issues people have with the film. While I feel many complaints are greatly exaggerated and in some cases outright fabricated, there are also many that I genuinely do understand, and just happen to feel differently about. If someone doesn't like the film for whatever variety of personal reasons, that's okay. Everything else works like gangbusters for me, and despite the emphasis on evoking "old-school" Star Wars, the movie truly does feel like a distinctly modern Star Wars film in so many ways, in regards to cinematography and dialogue and characters and so on. There was an ideal blending of old and new that harkened to the past while pointing forwards to the future that I really appreciated. These are by no means my full thoughts on the movie, by the way, but rather the abridged sparknotes version. I've talked about TFA a lot both on and off the boards over the past few months, and I really just posted this to say yeah, I still love the pants off this film. It has practically everything I want in a Star Wars movie, and I'm thrilled that it now gets to occupy a spot on my shelf next to the original films.

10. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Upvoted, gushed about, etc. Came here cause it was the craze. And yes, they will eventually move on.

11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    2% of the people who joined are the only real fans? Give me a break.
    I don't know what the numbers are but 2% is way too low.
    There is also more to SW than TFA the last couple years.
    TCW/Rebels/the books/comics, or are the people who came for those, band wagoners as well?
    And they will move on from the fad? Shouldn't the PT bashers have moved on by now?

All of us are band wagoner fans in some way or other.

MOC Yak Face and Artoo-Dion like this.
  12. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I just want to point out that your favorite movie is the most reviled in the series. That's okay, I have nothing wrong with your opinion, you're entitled to like the things you like, same with disliking the things you dislike. All I'm saying is, consider the distinct possibility that a majority of fans and the movie going populace simply disagree with you regarding the quality of the film, and it has nothing to do with them jumping on a bandwagon in support of a movie you didn't like.

Howard Hand and Artoo-Dion like this.
  13. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013

Oh I don't think you've been kept up to date with the current news. The most recent conventional wisdom puts ATOC at the lowest spot on the totem pole. Reviling TPM was so 2 years ago! :p

14. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    No, only 2% of those that joined around and immediately after TFA. Not the whole site.

Nobody (i'll give precedent for a fraction of a percent) watches those shows or reads those books who isn't already a Star Wars fan.

I wish! But no. Most of the real PT bashers are OT purists.

Thank you for announcing yourself as a bandwagoner. I'm so happy for you require "popular" opinion to decide what parts of Star Wars you should love or hate. Good job.

15. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Ha, trying to spin the poll results to suit your anti-TFA agenda! Enjoy those sour grapes Jarren [face_party]

16. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    "Purity" of fandom is completely arbitrary, anyway. With that in mind, I'm going to declare real fans as those who saw at least one of the OT in cinemas between 1977 and 1983 and dismiss anyone else's opinion. That seems fair.

17. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    The only opinions I'd question are those extremist fans of other parts of the Saga with a chip on their shoulder who were against TFA before it even came out.

Howard Hand and MOC Yak Face like this.
  18. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Not good enough. You need to have an Early Bird set at home, unopened in its box.

19. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Nope, just actual Star Wars fans. I'm pretty sure that even with the parameters I mentioned it would still get a "fresh" combined rating.
    Also, following me around the forum is very lame.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  20. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Anyone who traffics in conspiracy theories and/or convenient explanations for why reality doesn't fit with their personal perception should not be trusted. Not naming any names, but...

Darth Downunder and MOC Yak Face like this.
  21. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    So new SW fans are not fans? Way to welcome others & expand the community.

22. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015

Shhhhhhhhh........ [face_worried]

Well, frankly, I'm surprised you old people can even remember that far back! :D

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Rebels, I will give you, but TCW? Highly doubt it. 08 to 2014. That show had its own fans.
    So if the PT bashers haven't moved on, why would the TFA people?
    Some probably will but others will stay on through E9.

24. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Real fans have been stewing about this **** for at least ten years. We're talking a decade of accumulated bile. Anything less doesn't show a true commitment to the franchise.

25. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    While I know you are just trying to get a rise out of me here, I will say this:
    I would have said the same thing around the release of ANY of the Star Wars films (other than ANH). Because the initial rush of new fans for any new film, from the launch of the trailer to about a year after the release date, is not indicative of the fandoms views.
    Hate it all you want, but most new fans who come it at a popular rerelease won't stay. Especially if the release is insanely popular at the box office.

So, OT purists? :D :D

26. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Consider that message boards are a dying breed. Just registering to post shows a level of dedication beyond "Today I like SW; tomorrow I'll be a Marvel fan..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.