main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rate TFA from 1 to 10 (you only get 1 vote, so see it as much as you need before voting!)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Nerdling, Dec 16, 2015.

?

Rank TFA on a scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being best and 1 being worst

1. 10 (BEST FILM EVER!)

67 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. 9

257 vote(s)
    34.3%
  3. 8

180 vote(s)
    24.0%
  4. 7

91 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. 6

46 vote(s)
    6.1%
  6. 5

28 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. 4

23 vote(s)
    3.1%
  8. 3

12 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. 2

9 vote(s)
    1.2%
  10. 1

37 vote(s)
    4.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I think you GREATLY overestimate message boards being a dying breed.

2. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Kylo's tantrum didn't make him look pathetic. It made him look pissed! When i saw that on day one in the theater people in the audience were laughing and clapping. At least he's not being as whiny as Anakin. Besides if vader had got all pissed and lost control he probably would have had an Asthma attack or something considering his wretched health. You know what with being burned alive in a volcano and having his lungs char broiled.

DL44Jo and Darth Downunder like this.
  3. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Welcoming? LMAO! Please! When I came into this fandom I was quickly introduced to the likes of you, who follows me from thread to thread, trolling and bashing everything I like. Joining this fandom I was scared for years to put a PT film at the top of my list thanks to people like you. OT purists may be the least welcoming creatures in any fandom.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    "Vader was always calm" [face_laugh]
    Not when he was a young man he wasn't. Didn't he stupidly think he could do a triple somersault over Obi-Wan?
    That almost brought a tear to the eye. It's like an epic tale of woe, with Jarren standing triumphant in the end!

Howard Hand likes this.
  5. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Given that there'll be a new movie every 12 months for the foreseeable future, even if we held a poll on Dec 18, 2016, you'll still get relatively new fans participating. SW as a fossilised fandom is no longer an option. So the results will always be "tainted" in that sense.

6. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Whoa, I go away for the day and then come back to attempted gatekeeping. Lovely.

By the way, a metric buttload of the new posters are loudly proudly anti-TFA, so even if one could subtract them out, I'm not sure it would reinforce your theory.

7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Jarren_Lee-Saber if you can't play nice with the rest of the kids then your going into time out. It is not for you to say who is a "Real Star Wars fan" and who isn't. Also, referring to people as "newbies (like you)" and "bandwagoners", and TFA as "The Farce Awakens", are baiting/trolling comments. This will be the last warning for such things.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  8. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    There is almost no one who is "loudly proudly anti-TFA". Certainly not in the new people department. Nice try

9. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    LOL, I guess I've just been arguing with bots for the last 5 months. And yeah, there are some very loud and proud anti-TFA people here. We got a whole thread full of them.

10. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    From what I've seen today, you have about 30 people arguing against 1 person. So you may have the odd disagreer, but then the mob descends and you think your opponents are many.

11. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Joke's on you, mate. It's phase one of Microsoft's AI test run. We all know how phase two turned out...

MOC Yak Face and Stoneymonster like this.
  12. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Too much salt here. I'm hardly new to Star Wars fandom.

13. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    Agree. Being new to this forum does not mean new to Star Wars. The re-emergence of new stories and the rebirth of the franchise has brought many of the oldest fans back out to participate in discussions. Some have changed sites. I have tools older than some posters who have more time here than I, but I guarantee you all, my being an avid fan did not start when I joined.

14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    6 or 7, I'll go 6.5 and round up

15. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    (NOW) I'd give it a 6/10..

16. DL44Jo

DL44Jo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 7, 2014
    I voted 9 or 10 - I can't remember now. :p

I've gotten the impression that OT era fans have liked TFA more than other eras, including me. But I've also seen a great deal of other eras/generations like it as well.

17. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Agreed. If you head over to the TFA poll on the prequels forum, an overwhelming majority there loved TFA as well. It's a myth that the film has somehow "split the fandom." Truth is, it is disliked by an extraordinarily small minority of fans.

18. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    [​IMG]

A myth you say? Oh reddit disagrees with you, and there tends to be way more people on there too than the forums. It split the fanbase, but in a more distant and sexually lustful way..

Seems like every since TFA has come out, polls seem to be the biggest talk....

19. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    I think it is the "vocal minority" that you re speaking of. Very loud and very small.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/main/vocalminority#!

20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I decided on a 4/10, about the same I would give AOTC, and a point or so less than I would give TPM.

I could justify giving it a 5/10, as I could say it deserves a failing grade, but only just barely. It's not that it's extremely painfully bad (besides a few times), it's just that it's never good. The vast majority of it is just bleh. It is, at its best, meh, with perhaps a very slight upturned smile.

I could also justify giving it as low as a 1/10, for failing at almost everything it attempts, in so many different ways, so very often. Part of me wants to give it credit for it's allegedly "fun" approach, but the attempts at fun are so often poorly executed and fail to entertain me. The obvious lack of originality and terribly shallow "twists" on the Star Wars saga makes it impossible for me to fully appreciate even the attempt at a fun approach. I can't say I'm at all pleased with where the storyline went, either.

Its attempts at humor and similar gags are pretty much all failures, but not as terribly misguided as Jar Jar.

It's attempt at entertaining action are almost all resoundingly meh, including all the lightsaber stuff, most of the space ship battle stuff, and much of the ground battles.

It's dialogue is very often off the mark, but usually only slightly, with only minor tweaks needed. It's rarely as bad as the worst dialogue of the PT.

None of the characters are real successes, for me, but most aren't total disasters.

Rey is a sort of wish fulfillment cardboard cutout without any personality, but Daisy Ridley brings a sort of enthusiasm and energy that shines through. The illogical Force and lightsaber use are quite eyeroll worthy, but not a flaw belonging solely to her, such problems occur throughout the movie.

Finn is a character who could have been quite good, if not for a painfully flawed premise that is difficult to swallow, and a few weak attempts at humor that could have been better. Unfortunately, Finn comes off as a bit of an undignified doofus. Still, John Boyega makes the most of what's he's given.

Han Solo isn't quite himself, despite Harrison's best efforts. It needed a few dialogue tweaks.

Once again, Carrie isn't given much to do with Leia, but gives the movie perhaps it's most genuine emotional moment.

Unfortunately, most of the scenes between Han and Leia are quite artificial, full of exposition and stilted dialogue. That was disappointing.

Kylo Ren is a total disaster of a character. He's a complete joke, who did absolutely nothing for me. The one, and I mean only one, tiny bit of entertainment he provided me with was the stopping of the blaster bolt in midair (which was legitimately awesome). The rest of his existence is an annoyance to me.

Poe Dameron is a failure of a character, but only a minor failure. He's just not what he's supposed to be. He's supposed to be some cool action guy, he's just not. I suppose it's not Isaac's fault, as he wasn't given anything. The movie absolutely starts with the premise that he is just awesome and you'll automatically like him, so they just skip the part where he is cool or anything worth watching. They put it in the opening scrawl, and that was it. (all my opinion, of course)

I actually like Maz, though. She worked for me, mostly.

Snoke is hardly worth mentioning at this point, but the visual design was interesting enough for me.

I don't know what to say about the score, other than I don't think I noticed it the entire movie. I can't remember a single bit of it. That says enough for me.

Of course, the plot and storyline is all extremely tired and unoriginal, and is taken in a direction that is annoyingly unnatural. The First Order have a few neat little details, but are still an Empire retread, and the Resistance is so completely entirely tired.

Finn's intro is so nonsensical and painfully obvious, as is Poe's, to the point that I was ready to turn it off ten minutes into the movie. It really wasn't looking good. The escape in the TIE fighter is more fun, though also a bit stupid. It picks up with Rey and Daisy's energy, though Rey, like Finn, is similarly lacking in consistent behavior and compelling motivation.

Rey meets Finn is pretty cute, and their escape is good fun. That whole sequence is easily the best part of the movie. Still, held back by Finn's How Do I Work Guns?

The whole gang and rathtar attack on Han's large freighter did nothing for me. It's not horrible, it just did nothing. It's better, I guess, when they get back on the Falcon. A huge waste of those dudes from The Raid.

The scenes on Takodana didn't do much for me. The cantina rehash was uninspired, and the call to the lightsaber and ensuing visions were pure nonsense. Just awful. The attack on Takodana by the First Order is better, but full of flaws.

Rey's scenes with Kylo are just painfully bad.

The super weapon is, of course, extremely tired, and too far on the nose (it literally drains light from the universe) even for Star Wars. The attack on Starkiller Base is once again tired, with nothing to recommend it. It's hard to believe X-Wings vs TIE fighters could be so boring and uninspired.

The confrontation between Han and Kylo was a total failure for me. I felt nothing, not even as a character I love is killed.

The duels at the end are okay, but nothing special.

The scene with Luke as Rey holds out the lightsaber is just pointlessly long. Was that supposed to do something for me? Was I supposed to be wowed? I wasn't. Shoulda cut it much sooner, though that wouldn't have accomplished anything other than eliminating the drag.

The light vs dark theme is so painfully ham-fisted and overdone, and of course, old and tired. But just work in the word "light" as many times as you can, in case we forgot in the two minutes since the last reference.

And, of course, the constant nostalgia mining is a mostly a huge drag (though I did like Rey inheriting the Falcon) and the terribly shallow "twists" so very typical of JJ are downright annoying.

21. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

Jabba, that is NOT the "truth". Maybe the naysayers are like me and tend not to come here that much anymore. I personally know way more people that didn't like, and were disappointed with TFA. Truth is, you state assumptions as fact based on your limited experience based solely on the (generally TFA loving and not allowed to say bad things about it) TF.N boards.

22. What Are The Odds

What Are The Odds Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2016
    If it helps you sleep better.

23. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Take a look at the poll on the prequel forums.

Take a look at the poll on the prequel forums.

Artoo-Dion and Ricardo Funes like this.
  24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh, look. This argument again.
    Jabba states assumptions based on limited experence, based only on these forums, while you - someone who dislikes the film - have heard more negative than positive about the film, and outside the forums - in the real world - no less. I'm guessing most people truly didn't like it then?

Funny thing is, I've talked to a lot of people about TFA. I've encountered one person who disliked it, but he dislikes Star Wars in general. I was a Celebration last month and I gotta say - most people there seemed pretty crazy about TFA.

I get it - not liking the latest Star Wars film sucks. No one here wants to dislike a Star Wars film!
    And I have nothing against people venting their disappointment with the film - that's perfectly understandable (if I hate Rogue One or Episode 8 or whatever, I'm going to want to vent about it here too). But let's not kid ourselves. The film was a huge success. Box office, while a poor way of meassuring popularity, was outstanding. Reviews were glowing. Fan reaction was overwhelmingly positive. General audience reaction as well.
    Yes, a lot of people disliked the film, but it's still a minority of the fanbase.

Artoo-Dion , Ricardo Funes and DL44Jo like this.
  25. DL44Jo

DL44Jo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 7, 2014
    I agree with these parts.

morrison85 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.