main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Rate the AVP Films

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Oct 15, 2013.

?

Pick Your Favorite

1. Predator

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. Predator 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. AVP: Alien vs. Predator

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. AVPR: Alien vs. Predator: Requiem

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Prometheus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Alien

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  7. Aliens

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  8. Alien 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Aliens: Resurrection

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    This is the most idiotic thread I have ever read in my seven years at the JC.

Ender Sai and Darth_Invidious like this.
  2. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    You've obviously not seen old whatsisname making threads about his foreskin have you?

3. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    alien

eating dog****

the rest of that list

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Still got it.

Predator
    Aliens

Prometheus
    Alien

Predators
    Predator 2
    AVP

Alien: Resurrection
    Alien 3

Requiem

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Strange list considering there are two AVP films, which I consider separate from the Alien and Predator films.

V-2 likes this.
  7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Alien
    Aliens
    Predator
    Alien 3
    Predator 2
    Predators
    AVP
    AVPR
    Prometheus
    Aliens: Resurrection

Prometheus is about as much fun as a colonoscopy, but nothing is dumber than Aliens: Resurrection.

8. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Alien gets my number one vote. It's a hair-raising film and then basically the Alien series in chronological order.

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  10. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Predator

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Aliens
    Alien
    Predator
    Prometheus
    Alien 3
    Predators
    Predator 2
    Alien Resurrection
    Alien vs. Predator
    Alien vs. Predator: Requiem

Don't hate any of them, personal ranking ranging from "Okay" to "really really dig" to "Top 2 favourite movie ever".

I love Aliens more than Alien but freakin' Alien is amazing, Alien is a perfectly constructed movie and the definition of how to do a "slow burn". But Aliens is often listed as my personal favourite movie ever (or Empire Strikes Back. It's a coinflip depending on any given day). Every frame of that movie I just flat-out dig.

Predator is a great movie, it's excellently well constructed and has a great picking off of every character one by one. So many fantastic moments throughout that movie that is really watchable. Way enjoyable flick.

Prometheus I'm a fan of just for the pure amount of stuff happening in it and seeing Ridley Scott once again deployed in a science fiction genre. Also I still say the Weyland Industries can fit in the AvP series Weyland Corp if you squint.

Alien 3 is freakin' David Fincher, dammit! And even though Fincher has disowned the movie I still really enjoy it for his style, which permeates every moment of the film. Ton of great lines in the movie as well ("Murphy." "How do you know?" "That's his boot.") As for the whole "they killed Newt and Hicks and Bishop (basically)" of it all, I think that is a terrible decision due to the end of "Aliens". However, I think it works with the tone of Alien 3. The Alien, the company, has completely destroyed and isolated Ripley until she has nothing left, and they even take away what helped her find peace at the end of "Aliens". Killing them off is a tonal betrayal of Ripley's struggle of Aliens. However, the Bishop/Newt/Hicks thing does work in the context of Alien 3 as a single film. If that makes any sense, heh. The "Bishop rebooting" scene is a really nice example of how the killing off of the characters plays into the tone of Alien 3. Bleak, bleak, bleak. And it clicks dramatically. Alien 3 is a very dark movie, the darkest of the entire series, but I think it earns it.

The hardest decision for me was the Predators / Predator 2 ranking. Went with Predators because I like how they grab all of the various characters, throw them in a blender (I even enjoy Topher Grace in it!) and there is a lot of style to how certain beats play out, but Predator 2 ain't no slouch because there is great stuff in that movie too. "Want some Candy?" Freakin' Bill Paxton because it's Bill Paxton, goddamnit. "All right, whose next?" That is quite an underrated sequel, IMHO.

Alien Resurrection has a couple of fantastic beats scattered throughout. "Waste of ammo, man!" Ripley's speech to the "WHAT'S INSIDE ME?!" guy. Very, very weird movie. For that, I enjoy it. That Newborn, though. Oy.

It's hard for me to have an active distaste and anger towards the AvP movies due to the simple fact there are Aliens and Predators in them. I'll go with the first one as the winner just because it doesn't have the gawdawful teenage high school antics in it and I do like the core concept, swiped from the Dark Horse mini decades ago, that Predators "train" themselves by hunting aliens. And Lance Henrickson, dammit! And he does the pen trick!

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    No it doesn't. What?

While some of the architecture and native dress invokes Mesoamerican empires, the flashback is clearly taking place in the same temple complex they are in presently. It was tropical at the time the Predators established the facility. The movie made several references to the theory that this alien influence seeded subsequent major Earth cultures, so I'm not at all surprised to see the aforementioned similarities.

Finally, the Antarctica thing is actually most consistent with your previous examples. In Aliens, for instance, the surrounding planet is only partly terraformed, and still isn't shown to be particularly "warm." I would suspect its average temperature is probably not that much better than was Antaractica's. By contrast, the local environment inside the pyramid, where the aliens were actually located, was shown to be quite warm. That's what matters. If your pointing out a Queen wouldn't naturally have traveled their to nest--fine. We know. That's why eggs are specifically placed there on centennial cycles for a staged hunting game. It was never part of the natural life cycle.

V-2 likes this.
  13. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    The best one of these films is most probably Alien, but my favourite is Aliens. Here my addition to this confused list thread:

=1:Alien/Aliens
    2:predator
    3:predator 2/Predators
    4:Alien3/Prometheus
    5:AVP
    6:Alien4

7:Needles in eyes
    8:AVP:R

AVP:R is not a proper film. The Asylum produce better looking DVDs, the average SyFy tv movie looks better than this. AVP:R could have been shot on a VHS camcorder and looked (and sounded) better. It looks and sounds like they forgot to grade the film or hire a sound man. Why did this film get made? How could the franchise owners let this film see the light of day? What happened to the music? Was nobody interested in the quality of literally any aspect of this film? If you own a copy, please consider destroying it.

Predator2, Predators and Prometheus aren't bad-bad. Predator2 some fantastic moments, 'King Willie's Voodoo Posse', a body count to rival any in the video store...

Predators is, IMO, a pretty damn good action film. I have no problems with it. My only regret is that Danny Glover wasn't in it.

Alien3 is a solid good film, but it's a little stark and depressing.

Prometheus is a really fun film to watch. The scientists are amazingly stupid and naive, the science is bat****, and it's great. My only regret is that Lance Henrickson wasn't in it.

AVP isn't too bad. It's just good enough to enjoy it as a good film, just bad enough to enjoy it as a bad film. Alien 4 is a bag o' ****ing *****. Weaver should not have been invited back (and please let her never return). I like her, I like her character, and I'd like her to stay dead.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    1) Alien
    2) Aliens
    3) AVP
    4) Prometheus
    5) Predators
    6) Predator
    7) Predator 2
    8) AVPR
    9) Alien 3
    10) Alien: Resurrection

15. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    why exactly are the alien and predator movies listed as "AVP Films"? AVP exists as its universe and is not canonical with either the mainstream alien or predator franchises.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  16. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    The only AVP I know of are the amazing comics, books, and video games. Never head of any movies....nope...none.

17. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Predator- fun
    Predator 2 - less fun
    AVP: Alien vs. Predator - no fun
    AVPR: Alien vs. Predator: Requiem - painful
    Prometheus - embarrassing
    Alien - fantastic
    Aliens - riveting
    Alien 3 - quirky
    Aliens: Resurrection - laughable