main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rate The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by chris hayes, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Rate the Last Jedi in the choices below

Poll closed Jan 13, 2018.
  1. 5/5 Absolutely loved it

30.6%
  2. 4/5 Solid a good addition to the saga

18.8%
  3. 3/5 It was ok , worthy but flawed

11.8%
  4. 2/5 Some eye candy but felt underwelmed

16.2%
  5. 1/5 Meh Dissapointed

10.0%
  6. 0/5 The worst Star Wars movie ever , down with the Jar Jar doo doo

13.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Rate and discuss why you voted that way......

Bosozoku27 likes this.
  2. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    3/5
    Overall just a bit muddled, lots of enjoyable bits but some odd decisions

3. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    Well I absolutely loved it - as some of you may know .

Star Wars: The Force Awakens
    is a film that needed to play it safe in some regards. It was introducing new characters, new worlds, and trying to restore a fanbase that felt burned by the prequels. It succeeded in establishing a baseline for the sequel trilogy, and that baseline has allowed writer-director Rian Johnson to move the franchise forward with the stunning

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Although, like The Force Awakens, it takes more than a few beats from the Original Trilogy, Johnson feels eager to subvert our expectations, challenge the archetypes the series was founded on, and take bold steps to establishing a new concept of what a Star Wars movie can be while still feeling very much in line with previous films in the franchise. ,from the film’s stunning craft and confident storytelling.

If The Force Awakens was a matter of giving fans what they wanted, then The Last Jedi is giving them what they [FONT=Helvetica Neue][I]need[COLOR=#555555][SIZE=16px][FONT=Helvetica Neue], which is more complex characters and themes that break free of the traditional archetypes and mythic tropes the franchise was founded upon.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/I][/FONT]

Even if you can feel the film’s runtime as it heads to the climax, there’s no shortage of appreciation for what Johnson has accomplished. I won’t be surprised if fans start openly wondering if The Last Jedi is better than A New Hope [SIZE=16px][FONT=Helvetica Neue]or [COLOR=#555555][SIZE=16px][FONT=Helvetica Neue][I]Empire[COLOR=#555555][SIZE=16px][FONT=Helvetica Neue], although I think it’s clear that the film surpasses [COLOR=#555555][SIZE=16px][FONT=Helvetica Neue][I]The Force Awakens [COLOR=#555555][SIZE=16px][FONT=Helvetica Neue]even if the sequel’s success is partly due to the unglamorous groundwork [COLOR=#555555][SIZE=16px][FONT=Helvetica Neue][I]The Force Awakens [COLOR=#555555][SIZE=16px][FONT=Helvetica Neue]had to accomplish. There are so many moments and details I want to dig into with [COLOR=#555555][SIZE=16px][FONT=Helvetica Neue][I]The Last Jedi[COLOR=#555555][SIZE=16px][FONT=Helvetica Neue], but I don’t want to spoil the many reveals, twists, and turns that make the movie such a wonderful experience. I lost count of the jaw-dropping moments [COLOR=#555555][SIZE=16px][FONT=Helvetica Neue][I]The Last Jedi [COLOR=#555555][SIZE=16px][FONT=Helvetica Neue]presents, and it’s a movie I can’t wait to revisit.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Greedo's Lament likes this.
  4. thehighground

thehighground Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2016
    the difference between Abrams´ and Johnson´s style was bothering me quite a bit, especially the humor. It was very different at at times overdone.
    It was a good movie overall, but some things however felt out of the blue and rushed- though in themelves fitting. Especially the Kylo and Rey thing. One minute they hate each other, then they talk in their minds and they are what, lovers ?
    And I feel like Snoke was wasted, if he is that easy to kill why set him up as the big baddie in the first place. This probably was not what Abrams had in mind.
    But I guess I am being picky and will probably grow more attached to the movie after I see it a second, and third time.

Mostly Handless and corinthia like this.
  5. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    2/5 The force awakens may not be original but it's written way better.

Def Trooper, Miriedis, D'an and 16 others like this.
  6. thehighground

thehighground Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2016
    Voted 3/5 btw

7. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015
    4/5 simply because i felt like the resistance plot hampered the fantastic story telling of kylo/rey/luke and the force.

Give me a 2:30 movie of just that please :D

QueenSabe7 likes this.
  8. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    definately the worst Star Wars movie ever. It is even worse than Batman vs Superman.

9. starwarsfan54

starwarsfan54 Jedi Knight star 1

May 29, 2017
    1/5

No real progression on the Rey or Kylo characters, they ended this movie where they began.

The overdose on comedy was too much, I couldn't take the movie seriously because it often felt like a parody of Star Wars.

Luke was out of character and he may as well have been a new Jedi Master we never heard of before, would have fit with the randomness of Snoke.

10. UberJediPaul

UberJediPaul Jedi Master star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    0/5 for KK & RJ efforts. They literally phoned it in but I do not expect anything else neither should be anywhere this franchise as they do not understand simple story logic.

11/10 for Mark Hamill he owned it totally everything & everyone else was garbage by far the worse SW movie. It makes the PT look very good (although I enjoyed the PT almost as much as the OT).

The entire movie was very poor. Mark Hamill seemed like he was in a different movie on his own everyone else showed how poor their skills were as an actor. The difference was vast. Mark literally is & was The Last Jedi. SW is finished to me I thought after TFA it could not sink any lower...boy was I wrong!
    This new SW is not for fans of the superior Lucas crafted entries that's for sure. KK ensured her crappy new movies went out of their way to try to undermine & destroy everything the Lucas movies tried to achieve. That is the ONLY thing they have achieved here.

11. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Either 3/5 or 4/5.

12. Bazookaleffe

Bazookaleffe Jedi Master star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    1/5.
    - Boring story.
    - Snoke's fate. What were they thinking? "When I looked in to Ben's mind I realized Snoke had already seduced him to the dark side." Who is Snoke? Is he a supreme leader of the First Order while also being Luke's friend? If not, how did Luke know who Snoke was before Ben turned?
    - Luke Skywalker (Bizarro)
    - Superman Leia
    - Rey Random. The forceback scene from TFA doesn't make sense at all.

What a mess.

13. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    None of the descriptions alongside a star rating describe the film for me. For me it’s a wildly ambitious film that deserves credit for what it tries to do, and for succeeding a lot of the time. Star rating for me would have to wait.

14. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Extra - wow what happened to Daisy in this film? Her acting was terrible, like reading lines. Also what happened to her face, twice as fat as TFA...

15. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    uhmmm...no.

I mean talking about superman, we had Anakin flying in drunken-superman style through the air at Coruscant.
    So beside the fact that the Leia scene was simply dumb it was nothing new compared to stupid things we already witnessed in the past.

16. Maylander

Maylander Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    3/5

It's a very good action/comedy, but it's not really good as a sequel to the OT. There are certain issues that I just can't overlook now:
    - Not a fan of how Luke had to go the obvious martyr route.
    - We still need more information about Snoke. He's clearly old enough to have been around during the OT, and seems oddly fascinated by Vader. Given that he's now dead, we're unlikely to get the answers we seek.
    - Rey is now bothering me a lot, and that's an issue since she's the main character. I was hoping they'd explain the meteoric rise in power we see in TFA (lineage, training as a child that she'd forgotten, etc), but it's still just a blank. For now it seems that any and all training with the Force is useless. Complete waste of time. If the Force wants you to be good at the Force, it'll just magically pop that knowledge into your head.

lookameatbag likes this.
  17. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    3/5
    Loved much of it.
    Just... Luke. Shouldn'ta done that to Luke.
    I enjoyed the silly bits. The script often dodged the cliche, and while that might have annoyed people, I appreciated it.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  18. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Low. really low.

19. Bazookaleffe

Bazookaleffe Jedi Master star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    Not sure if you've ever seen a skydiver before? But Anakin flying, more or less like a skydiver, around in Coruscant is not comparable with Superman Leia.

20. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    But sameway stupid. Thats what I meant

21. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Not sure if you've ever seen a skydiver before? But Anakin flying, more or less like a skydiver, around in Coruscant is not comparable with Superman Leia.[/quote]

I mean, we really don't know what the extent of Force powers really is. Kylo can read minds and stop lazer bolts in midair. The Skywalkers essentially are superheroes within this universe, just by a different name. Leia pulling herself to the ship really isn't super out there when u think about it, though I can see how the grandeur of the moment combined with the fact that we've never seen Leia use the Force may have made people not like it. Point I'm trying to make is that the story logic really is there for it even if it doesn't necessarily feel like it in the moment.

22. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    Funny this poll is slowly going the way I think :)

23. hermiona52

hermiona52 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2017
    I voted 5/5, but it's more like 9.5/10.
    The thing I cared about the most was Kylo/Luke/Rey dynamics and Rian nailed it. All of them are challenged, overcome those obstacles and ends up stronger, learn new things about others and themselves. I could point out all the things I liked, but other did it here and in other places. I take of 0,5 point, because Leia's Force scene looked fake and Finn and Rose journey to Canto Bight and Snoke's ship could've been better. Still, things that are good, are so good, that I can ignore the downsides.

Gonk Droid, C Creepio and SienneRe like this.
  24. SienneRe

SienneRe Jedi Master star 2

Mar 23, 2016
    same as above - 5/5 but should be 9.5/10 - because of that one annoying porg in the Falcon. I cared most for the Resistance plot, not so much for Kylo and Rey but it has changed during the film.

I especially loved Luke, how true it rang with me.
    Great, great movie.

25. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Way too early to rate it yet.

TOASTEROVEN and Immortiss like this.
  26. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    Haha! I actually chuckled loudly at that.

Don't get me wrong, I respect your opinion but I thought the acting was good from many of the cast, not only Hamill. Adam especially did really good. Also, the good stuff in this movie is really good IMO. That fact alone has lifted this far above the PT (for me).

I'm genuinely amazed that quite a few here already have their minds made up on TLJ. I'm still torn and conflicted. This movie hit me hard, and i need a good amount of time and additional viewings to finally make up my mind. I'm not alone on this. It's like several of my all time favorite music albums. The first time i heard them i didn't like them at all. Fast forward a few years and I now appreciate them immensely. It can go both ways of course. Time will tell.

It's an absolute game changer of a movie for this franchise, that's for sure. If i decide that i don't like it, I'll always have the good old, worn out, original (and unaltered) trilogy to keep my happy childhood memories in place.

Edit: poster above summed it up for me.

CEB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.