main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rate The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by chris hayes, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Rate the Last Jedi in the choices below

Poll closed Jan 13, 2018.
  1. 5/5 Absolutely loved it

30.6%
  2. 4/5 Solid a good addition to the saga

18.8%
  3. 3/5 It was ok , worthy but flawed

11.8%
  4. 2/5 Some eye candy but felt underwelmed

16.2%
  5. 1/5 Meh Dissapointed

10.0%
  6. 0/5 The worst Star Wars movie ever , down with the Jar Jar doo doo

13.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    The rebel scum must be crushed am i right?

Darth Smurf likes this.
  2. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I absolutely loved The Last Jedi. It may even be my favorite movie of the whole saga. 5/5

3. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    I was sure 2 years ago that fanboys would find TLJ not star wars-y enough or something heretic pffff....it's a great movie, not flawless, not TESB-level, but what is good is SOOOOO good that it makes up for the less satisfying bits here and there (and honestly, there wasn't that much of them). Also, I loved the Canto Bight scene :)

The Luke/Rey/Ben stuff was pure gold. Some real piece of cinema and inventivity. The mirror scene, the life on Ahch-To, Luke's humanity behind his own myth...and Rey/Ben force relation -a stroke of genius!- Clever and thought-provoking, emotinally powerful...but not for the sake of it despite what some are saying. There's a lot of "food for thoughts" in this movie, one of the deepest installment of the saga IMO

I liked the Resistance plot too. Some bit i wasn't sure of, some convenience or rushed stuff, but there are a lot of great scenes and great acting. Lots of fun too. And the fact that our heroes are doing all the wrong decisions is quite telling too. It's playing with the codes of heroism. A deconstruction of the myth. And seeing how the same company was selling ships to both the FIrst Order and the Resistance was a very simple but effective way to make a statement. Challenging stuff.

I must admit i wish i knew who Snoke was. But it was very interesting to see Kylo Ren become Supreme Leader. He achieved what Vader couldn't in the OT: kill a member of his family and replace his master....but Vader was in control, Kylo Ren is not. Also I like it that he seems to be ABSOLUTELY HONEST with Rey. I think he really thinks of her as someone who could understand him. They both think they saw the future and the other is gonna joine their side...can't wait to see how it pans out in ep9

Luke was...wow, can't describe it, so intense...i'm a huge Luke fan and i thought this was incredible how the character was handled in the movie. Mark Hamill and the script nailed it. And his last "fight" is so mega cool, best Jedi-makes-one-with-the-force scene ever. 100% panache.

So many ideas in this movie...visually, narratively, thematically...it's BIG. Love it or Hate it it's a movie with a vision, with a purpose.

hard to rate it.....4/5? 4,5/5? Best SW of the new Disney/Lucasfilm era. Can't wait to see how ep 9 closes the ST.

4. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    TLJ was Epic on many levels ( Luke & Yoda - been waiting 37 years for that scene ! )

It's not Rian Johnson's fault Carrie Fisher died or the fact the powers the be won't use cgi or cut footage for EP9 ( there's probably a juicy cut scene that could be used for EP9 cut from EP8 ) - it was set up so EP9 would be her movie & a final tribute to the Saga ,

Everyone is Dying cause the Skywalker Saga is finishing up there will be no EP 10,11 & 12 ! I didn't want Luke to die but in some way felt fitting Luke used all his energy to save the resistance....

5. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    TLJ was Epic on many levels ( Luke & Yoda - been waiting 37 years for that scene ! )

It's not Rian Johnson's fault Carrie Fisher died or the fact the powers the be won't use cgi or cut footage for EP9 ( there's probably a juicy cut scene that could be used for EP9 cut from EP8 ) - it was set up so EP9 would be her movie & a final tribute to the Saga ,

Everyone is Dying cause the Skywalker Saga is finishing up there will be no EP 10,11 & 12 ! I didn't want Luke to die but in some way felt fitting Luke used all his energy to save the resistance....

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  6. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    3/5---Questions not answered, way to much keystone cop, and Mary Poppins. But I did like it, problem is as a fan for 40 years I did not love it.

7. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I loved it. I really liked the twists and turns the story took. Just when I thought I could see what was coming it took a completely different direction. Snoke's death being the big one I definitely didn't see coming.

I can see why Luke's character arc is controversial to many but I liked it and I think it's a lot more interesting than if he had just decided to train Rey straight up. I was surprised at him actually wanting to end the Jedi though, as I'd been thinking that his "time for the Jedi to end" line was either misdirection or just for the trailer like Saw's "what will you become?" line from the R1 trailer that wasn't in that film. I admit that I teared up when Luke finally saw Leia again and that was definitely one of the big highlights of the film for me.

My only complaint is that Yoda just looked off to me in his scene. I can't really pin down what it was exactly but it was weird. My dad also thought he did as well. Anyone else think that too?

Strongbow likes this.
  8. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    DP the sites not handling the traffic :(

9. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I loved it. I really liked the twists and turns the story took. Just when I thought I could see what was coming it took a completely different direction. Snoke's death being the big one I definitely didn't see coming.

I can see why Luke's character arc is controversial to many but I liked it and I think it's a lot more interesting than if he had just decided to train Rey straight up. I was surprised at him actually wanting to end the Jedi though, as I'd been thinking that his "time for the Jedi to end" line was either misdirection or just for the trailer like Saw's "what will you become?" line from the R1 trailer that wasn't in that film. I admit that I teared up when Luke finally saw Leia again and that was definitely one of the big highlights of the film for me.

My only complaint is that Yoda just looked off to me in his scene. I can't really pin down what it was exactly but it was weird. My dad also thought he did as well. Anyone else think that too?

10. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I know this is getting a mixed bag results in reviews on here SO It seems? but according to this poll the majority of us nerds on here think the movie is a 5/5 fantastic film! I think the naysayers are the loud minority...

Strongbow likes this.
  11. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Depending on how the resolve the conflict in #9, TLJ could end up being my top tier SW film next to Empire.

Current rankings (ANH is exlcuded because It's just unfair to rank it)

ESB
    TLJ = ROTJ
    RO
    TFA
    ROTS
    TPM
    AOTC

Strongbow likes this.
  12. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    ESB
    ANH
    ROTJ
    RO
    TFA
    TLJ
    TPM
    ROTS
    AOTC

This is a movie of extremities for me; extremely great, and extremely bad.

I cannot get over the pacing, the editing, the worthless Canto Bright subplot. How every character seems to be in a rush to do something stupid. Everything felt so rushed, and yet the overall story didn't really go forward that much. I don't understand the politics anymore, I mean, I guess the FO is now the ultimate government again, and the Rebels have 8 people total, who are all on board the Falcon.

I did love Luke though, all of it. Maybe not his justification for exile, but as a character it worked. I loved Legendary Luke vs Kylo. The Rey and Kylo team up. Snoke (wish he lived longer lol) Man..that was sooooo good.

13. Bosozoku27

Bosozoku27 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2017
    5/5 for me. Without going too much into detail, I felt it entertained, surprised, and packed a lot into the 2.5 hours it was given.

MarcJordan likes this.
  14. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    5/5, but only because 10 isn’t the highest score. And then I’d be tempted to give it an 11.

My ranking before TLJ in 3 tiers according to chronological order

1st tier

TESB ROTS R1

2nd tier

ANH AOTC TFA

3rd tier

ROTJ TPM TCW

TLJ was in the first tier upon the first viewing. Bout to see it a third time. So far only normal 35mm 2D.

Strongbow likes this.
  15. Lakeguy556

Lakeguy556 Jedi Padawan

Oct 15, 2015
    Brilliant. 9.5/10

16. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    It's really strange how much opinions differ on this one. Seems the majority either loved it or thought it was nearly empire levels of greatness. Then there's those few in the minority mostly on youtube probably seeking clicks that claim it's a complete disaster and they want Rian johnson's head on a platter.

What gives? Force awaken's was too safe and a rehash according to some. Not me though.
    Here comes rian taking risks and trying new things then all hell breaks loose.

8-}

Wrenegade, MaciekRS and Strongbow like this.
  17. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    1-ANH
    2-ESB
    3-TFA
    4-TLJ
    5-ROTS
    6-ROTJ
    7-AOTC
    8-TPM

R1 is a different thing altogether for me

Strongbow likes this.
  18. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Having had time to digest the movie, I can now honestly say that I thought it a huge disappointment. Much of the faults with The Last Jedi have already been documented on here, and I would reiterate them. I enjoyed it whilst watching it, but have come away with no desire to see it again, nothing to ponder or wonder about, no scene which inspired any great longing to see what happens in the next one.

I had high hopes for Rian Johnson, and I was hoping to see something different. The end result was woeful in my opinion.

Yanksfan likes this.
  19. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    4/5

Best main sequence SW film since Empire Strikes Back. TFA hit a lot of story points we have already seen in previous films, but i liked it mainly for the characters. Say what you will about the Prequels, they were mostly new and only rehashed a few points from the OT. TLJ didn't rehash anything at all. TLJ was completely original. No death stars we have seen three times already, no rhyming as GL claimed with the prequels. Totally new.

Gonk Droid and Strongbow like this.
  20. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    When it comes to vacuum I dare to say .... no.

21. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    After my first viewing I gave it a 3/5.

After my second I would give it a 6 if I could.

I can't overstate how much I appreciated it on a rewatch. This isn't like TFA, which had me cheering in the theatre and yet failed to linger in my imagination. This is deep, challenging stuff. We expected junk food and we got soul food.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  22. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    You might want to read Deadline’s article on the RT audience ratings not being trustworthy. CinemaScore gave it A. It uses scientific polling.

23. lucbro1138

lucbro1138 Jedi Padawan

Aug 8, 2017
    Different, on 1st viewing 7/10..... 2nd viewing 10/10...in years to come this will be close to ESB status. Just worried about how much meat JJ Abrams has to work with,,

chris hayes and dekaneas like this.
  24. dekaneas

dekaneas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 14, 2014
    Exactly my thoughts.I so agree with you.

25. dekaneas

dekaneas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 14, 2014
    Exactly my thoughts.I so agree with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.